Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dipstick/Oil Pan Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 07:55 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dipstick/Oil Pan Question

I went to check the oil level in Jay's car today and the whole dip stick tube holder come out of the pan. I jacked up the car and there was a piece of plastic that was broke in half. I am assuming the whole thing now needs to be replaced. I also noticed two little pieces of metal/aluminum protruding out of the the holder from the oil pan. Here is things I need to know.

Does the dip stick holder slide over the two little pieces protruding?

How do I know which dipstick he has? 2JZGTE or 2JZ NA? They different in length?

Part number for the o ring on the stick holder itself?

Part number for the correct dipstick?

Part number for the square thing on the top/side of the oil pan that is held in by four 10mm bolts? What is this called?

I cant even crank this thing, it shoots oil everywhere.... I need this fixed and parts ordered. I cant believe they just left this thing just hanging in there, not secured or bolted no how or shape or form. The holder looked like it had black high temp silicone around it. Please don't tell me the motor has to be lifted up and the pan pulled to do this.........
Old 09-23-13, 08:44 PM
Lowlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I went to check the oil level in Jay's car today and the whole dip stick tube holder come out of the pan. I jacked up the car and there was a piece of plastic that was broke in half. I am assuming the whole thing now needs to be replaced. I also noticed two little pieces of metal/aluminum protruding out of the the holder from the oil pan. Here is things I need to know.

Does the dip stick holder slide over the two little pieces protruding?

How do I know which dipstick he has? 2JZGTE or 2JZ NA? They different in length?

Part number for the o ring on the stick holder itself?

Part number for the correct dipstick?

Part number for the square thing on the top/side of the oil pan that is held in by four 10mm bolts? What is this called?

I cant even crank this thing, it shoots oil everywhere.... I need this fixed and parts ordered. I cant believe they just left this thing just hanging in there, not secured or bolted no how or shape or form. The holder looked like it had black high temp silicone around it. Please don't tell me the motor has to be lifted up and the pan pulled to do this.........
Hey man, I can't give you part numbers but it I can answer some questions, as far as the dipstick holder, to my knowledge it presses in to the upper oil pan with the oring and gets bolted to the bracket that attaches to the block,at the oil pan it has the opening that the tube fits in perfectly with the oring, a picture would be best to see the issue you described... the sensor that has 4 10mm bolt is called the oil level sensor
Old 09-24-13, 12:48 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I am at work today and tomorrow. I think the sensor is what has broke. Is the sensor attached to the pan by the four bolts? In other words is the sensor one unit? His dipstick does not have the bracket to secure it to the block. I think because of his huge intake manifold. So how is everyone else mounting this besides zipties? Does someone offer a aftermarket dipstick by using a aftermarket intake? I think it is safe to say to order a dipstick holder and sensor. I will call driftmotion and see what Aaron has to say.
Old 09-24-13, 02:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah the thing with the 4 bolts is probably the level sensor. lowlexus is right that is how it is held in the rubber ring and pressed to fit at the bottom, and bolted half way up to the intake. I have had mine not connected to the intake when I had the FFIM on there, so basically its just held in from the bottom.
sometimes it would want to come out if I accidentally put pressure on it, but I would pop it back in good and it would generally stay there from the pressure fit at the bottom. must be pressure building up in the pan or something to push it out, I would start by replacing the oring if you can get one maybe its too worn, and finding a place to bolt the tube to, you can bend it a little bit but not a whole lot.
Old 09-24-13, 02:28 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

How do you know if the sensor is broke? I am assuming since I see two little things poking up from inside of the sensor.

Thanks Ali for the confirmation.
Old 09-24-13, 02:54 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

what does the sensor look like, it should be like most other 2 pin plugs, with a plastic plug all around the outside with 2 pins inside. If the plstic is broken off or cracked, or you can wiggle the whole thing, then the sensor is busted. if its all there and passes the wiggle test its probably ok.
Old 04-19-16, 04:34 AM
tptpete
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping an old thread here... anyone know the specs on the o-ring or the bolt that holds the dipstick to the manifold? Mine is missing and I don't really have a box of random bolts to try with.
Old 04-19-16, 08:51 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

its like a short M8 or M10 can't remember. if you have the stock intake you should see where the bracket on the dipstick lines up with the hole.
Old 04-19-16, 01:00 PM
tptpete
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah.. wasn't thinking clearly this morning, but after talking to a couple of people figured it's disconnected from the previous FFIM and possible bent to fit with the FFIM. I will look into an m8 or m10 to bolt it down, thanks Ali! I found many part breakouts, but nothing with the bolt, lol.