Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ SC300 will not rev past 2000 rpm STILL!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 06:27 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Pretty sure TRC was optional on JZZ30s. There are plenty of diagnostic documents and pics of Soarer bays with TRC out there.

Checking the crank trigger is a great first step. I also like the idea of scoping or tapping all of the sensors via a piggyback and watching them real-time. Also, you can have wiring issues that cause open injectors, such as chafed wires grounding out the injector signal wires causing them to go static. I would ohm each injector signal wire out and verify you dont have continuity to ground through the harness anywhere.
This was exactly what was wrong with mine. My cylinders were filling up with fuel and I couldn't figure out why? Cartmill helped me diagnose the resistance and we decided to rewire them separately and run them to the AEM. We were getting resistance on each of the injectors. After that, the car fired right up. I didn't have this particular issue but I wanted to share my thoughts on what happened to my Soarer 1JZ.

In regards to what motor he has, I was in agreeance with blk&bluJ. I didnt know that they had an option for these in any year Soarer. I am still unsure what to believe on this part, since others have chimed in and stated the same findings. I think when someone who has been around JZ motors as long as Roger, people need to take notes and possibly listen to his theories. He is super knowledgeable if people will listen to him, along with many other senior guys. I am not saying he might be wrong, but when I have a question, I call him or Gerrb personally and listen to what each of them have to say. They shed light on many other prospects that possibly I didn't think about. These two guys, along with others, have been around a long time........ I appreciate these guys stepping in and trying to help others. Like I said before and I will say it again, "When EF talks, people listen!" Only old school guys like myself, know what that means.....

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 09-26-13 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-26-13, 06:30 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jzx81 has supra/soarer style turbo outlet, plus TRC, so will look identical to a TRC equipped soarer 1jz under the hood.

I think we have officially gone off on a tangent now with jz trivia.

Op, get a scope on those sensor signals!
Old 09-26-13, 06:35 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Jzx81 has supra/soarer style turbo outlet, plus TRC, so will look identical to a TRC equipped soarer 1jz under the hood.

Well said. .... Thanks Adam for also sharing your thoughts on this. I edited my last post.

Did you check the signal yet?
Old 09-26-13, 06:47 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you notice the breather pipe that comes off the exhaust valve cover you will notice it is a long pipe this was a change made by Toyota to combat a problem the twins where having on the back turbo with crank case pressure and oil burn through the turbo in simpler terms it was a internal change done and signifies a later motor type than the JXZ 81 you speak of.
Old 09-26-13, 06:52 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
If you notice the breather pipe that comes off the exhaust valve cover you will notice it is a long pipe this was a change made by Toyota to combat a problem the twins where having on the back turbo with crank case pressure and oil burn through the turbo in simpler terms it was a internal change done and signifies a later motor type than the JXZ 81 you speak of.
Now that is another finding I didn't know.
Old 09-26-13, 06:52 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely agree with the scope thought process!!!!

Last edited by blk&blu*j; 09-26-13 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-26-13, 07:11 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is generally true, though I have seen jzx81 bays with both revisions. I'm not sure if some were changed over due to recall, or if they were transition years.
Old 09-27-13, 10:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Might have to start a "Name that JZ" thread. def could be a fuel issue as much as a crank signal issue.
do you have a video of it hitting the wall how it is currently.
Old 09-30-13, 07:56 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not going to argue with you!! so you went to Japan,Canada,Australia and pulled this motor out of a Toyota Soarer???
Or was it that you pulled this motor out of a Lexus SC 300 here in the states cause the only 1J that came with TRC was from a Toyota Chaser or for the US conversion market as a Cressida which stopped in 92 in the US but in the Japan went till the 2000 yr = JZX110.
GL I'm out of this thread!!!
Nothing like arguing with somebody who has taken time to try and help you with you dilemma!!!.
Not butt hurt ^^^^^ just get fed up with the typical Forum BS when all you do is try and help.
It would have been some good info to know in helping him diagnosis his issue.

And just out of curiosity what rock have you exited out from behind cause you haven't posted anything useful in this thread to date so go TROLL somewhere else.
Yes I pulled this out of a 1992 Toyota Soarer. I even have a video of the engine running. I wasn't arguing with you. Not sure why you got upset at my response?
Also keep in mind that I ran this engine in my SC300 for a year then re-shelled it so it has run perfectly in the past.
Name:  312911_246705138706145_100000999827242_712401_748033271_n.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  43.2 KB

Video of the half cut of the Soarer after it was shipped to the US:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQH5H...ature=youtu.be

I spoke with Mike (the shop owner where the car is) on Friday and the car will barely idle now. He feels its the engine harness even though it was taken out and ohm tested, and inspected.

At this point I am tired of buying parts just to find out the car is working worse. I sent him instructions on pulling codes from the ECU and he says he got a solid light. No flashes...

I don't even know what that means.

Last edited by OBEEWON; 09-30-13 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 08:11 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Might have to start a "Name that JZ" thread. def could be a fuel issue as much as a crank signal issue.
do you have a video of it hitting the wall how it is currently.
I will go by the shop and get a video as soon as I can.
Old 10-02-13, 11:37 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

No video yet but here is a list of parts I have changed:

Four ecus. One fresh from caps service at driftmotion
All six injectors
Three fprs
Three fuel ecus
2 sets of Coil packs
2 sets of Spark plugs
Both cam sensors
Crank sensor
Three tps things
Entire throttle body swapped to non trac
2 alternators
Wiring pulled inspected and ohm tested
Bypassed fuel dampener
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Wheels
Tires
Battery
Car
Ladies
Gentlemen
Dogs
Cats
Coil pack connectors
Ecu coolant temp sensor
New gas
Igniter
Children
Old 10-02-13, 11:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it can be a solid light until you jumper the diagnostic pins on the diagnostic connector te1 and e1 I think.
then it should blink out the codes.
Old 10-02-13, 03:36 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Well I guess I learned something new the other day concerning the TRC on a Soarer so my apologizes to the OP.
I will however ask you to once again check the crank trigger star located behind the crank pulley attached to the timing belt gear it does and has happened that they become loose. I personally tac weld all my cars trigger wheels to the timing gear.!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-13, 10:33 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

^ very good advice. please do this.

And if the CEL stays solid while bridging te-1 and e1, that usually means ecu. But if you've tried 4 different ones, I'm gonna say wiring. Which if all you did was extend it, then it needs to be gone over.
Old 10-03-13, 10:55 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
it can be a solid light until you jumper the diagnostic pins on the diagnostic connector te1 and e1 I think.
then it should blink out the codes.
I will try again but I used a paper clip to jump them.

Well I guess I learned something new the other day concerning the TRC on a Soarer so my apologizes to the OP.
I will however ask you to once again check the crank trigger star located behind the crank pulley attached to the timing belt gear it does and has happened that they become loose. I personally tac weld all my cars trigger wheels to the timing gear.!!!!!!!
I will definitely look into this! Thanks. Do you have any pictures or diagrams of this?

Originally Posted by Vrank
^ very good advice. please do this.

And if the CEL stays solid while bridging te-1 and e1, that usually means ecu. But if you've tried 4 different ones, I'm gonna say wiring. Which if all you did was extend it, then it needs to be gone over.
We will go over it again. Does anyone have a source or spare Soarer harness they would like to sell?

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. Even if I didn't say it I have considered everything everyone has said in here so keep them coming. This is the most help I have gotten on CL to date so this is good.

Quick Reply: 1JZ SC300 will not rev past 2000 rpm STILL!