Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Excessive Play sc400 Shifter Lever

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 07:11 AM
SC93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Play sc400 Shifter Lever

Can't seem to find much re loose automatic transmission stick shift lever on this forum.

My shift lever is sloppy and moves side to side to point of touching console. I have read two
different opinions causing the excessive play.

1) Bushing is shot where lever pivots on shaft and can only be accessed by dismantling
console.

2) Loose connection where rod comes from transmission and connects to lever shaft and
is accessed from bottom of car. Supposedly you can adjust this but I gather this is
only for back and forth adjustment and not side to side play.

Some so called expert on one of those DIY advise sites claims he has never experienced the
problem to be the bushing and claims he has dealt with all types of lexus cars since 1992.
I find that hard to believe.He says always the linkage on bottom of car.

Anyone ever experience this problem and if it was bushing, where can I find the part number.

Last edited by SC93; 08-20-13 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-21-13, 11:37 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can almost 100% guarantee you it's the bushings on the pivot arm. I've had several automatic MKIII Supras and have had to replace the bushings on all of them. These are old cars and those little bushings have just deteriorated on your car. The fun part is that you have to remove the entire console to get the gear shift assembly out. I replaced the ones on my old 92 SC400 and it felt new and tight. Those in the picture are for my 97 SC400 that I have yet to install. Waiting for some cooler weather. I was going to do a DIY on it as well. Hope this helps you.

Part #90385-11003

These little boogers. They're only a few bucks from the dealership and will have to be ordered.

Last edited by gtsfire; 08-21-13 at 11:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
goldsoarer (05-29-18)
Old 08-22-13, 04:43 AM
SC93
Rookie

[QUOTE=gtsfire;8102615]I can almost 100% guarantee you it's the bushings on the pivot arm. I've had several automatic MKIII Supras and have had to replace the bushings on all of them. These are old cars and those little bushings have just deteriorated on your car. The fun part is that you have to remove the entire console to get the gear shift assembly out. I replaced the ones on my old 92 SC400 and it felt new and tight. Those in the picture are for my 97 SC400 that I have yet to install. Waiting for some cooler weather. I was going to do a DIY on it as well. Hope this helps you.

Part #90385-11003

These little boogers. They're only a few bucks from the dealership and will have to be ordered.

=========================================

finally...found someone with the part number. i suspected the console dismantlement. i am just now going thru an ecu cap rebuild project so after i reinstall this, i guess the bushing project is next. why can't i run into an easy repair (just did the light bulb replacement to my dash cluster) for a change

thx for your reply
Old 08-22-13, 04:18 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Try this link. Look for 33501G
Also if when your windows are down or your sunroof is open and you feel a bunch of heat coming from around your emergency brake handle, then you should look at replacing the boot that covers the pivot arm. It is 33555.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C400-1997.html

Last edited by gtsfire; 08-22-13 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-23-13, 02:58 AM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by gtsfire
Try this link. Look for 33501G
Also if when your windows are down or your sunroof is open and you feel a bunch of heat coming from around your emergency brake handle, then you should look at replacing the boot that covers the pivot arm. It is 33555.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat... /> 1997.html
gt...thx for your replys.

i ordered the bushings and will tackle the job soon. question: when you did the 92sc400, after
exposing the pivot point, do you have to lift the whole shift assembly out to take the long
horizontal bolt out to replace the bushings. or, can you loosen the nut and slide the bolt out
with the shifter assembly in place?

any pointers that you may have to make this job a little easier...like, hidden clips that hold
the console together that need to be released. i always seem to have a hard time in finding
where to pry as i once experienced with the door panel when i replaced passenger side power
window drive track.
Old 08-23-13, 08:34 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have play in my SC shifter as well (who doesn't) so I'll have to try this...
Old 08-23-13, 10:42 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

You will have to completely remove the entire shifter assembly to fix it. Once you have it out you'll have to remove a rubber boot, which I would advise replacing as well. There are 4 bolts connecting the shifter to the body of the car. When you get those out and lift up you'll need to unbolt it from the transmission lever, but BEFORE you do that get a piece of wire, tough string, fishing line, something and run it through the hole on the trans lever and tie it up so that it don't fall down beside the tranny.

I'm at work and don't have access to pics I have but as far as removal of the console the tricky stuff will be two bolts almost up under the dash. They are kind of hidden. The drivers side one will be fairly easy to get to but the passenger side one you'll have to pull down the panel under the dash to expose it. There are bolts in the center console storage compartment. Oh, and to take the shifter handle off there are two screws at the base just under where the leather handle stops. They are covered by a piece of plastic trim that just slides straight down. Take those out and the leather part of the handle just slides right off. If I remember correctly you'll have to pull the radio and climate control also.

My best advice is to gently start undoing bolts making mental notes of where they go. The panel with P R N D L just snaps in but be very careful while prying it off. I think the trim around the ignition switch has to come off too and also is just snapped in.

When it gets below 90 degrees in the evening I'll fix mine and take a ton of pics and do a write up on it.

SC400slide the lucky people who have the gated shifters don't have play, lol.
Old 08-23-13, 12:34 PM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by gtsfire
You will have to completely remove the entire shifter assembly to fix it. Once you have it out you'll have to remove a rubber boot, which I would advise replacing as well. There are 4 bolts connecting the shifter to the body of the car. When you get those out and lift up you'll need to unbolt it from the transmission lever, but BEFORE you do that get a piece of wire, tough string, fishing line, something and run it through the hole on the trans lever and tie it up so that it don't fall down beside the tranny.

I'm at work and don't have access to pics I have but as far as removal of the console the tricky stuff will be two bolts almost up under the dash. They are kind of hidden. The drivers side one will be fairly easy to get to but the passenger side one you'll have to pull down the panel under the dash to expose it. There are bolts in the center console storage compartment. Oh, and to take the shifter handle off there are two screws at the base just under where the leather handle stops. They are covered by a piece of plastic trim that just slides straight down. Take those out and the leather part of the handle just slides right off. If I remember correctly you'll have to pull the radio and climate control also.

My best advice is to gently start undoing bolts making mental notes of where they go. The panel with P R N D L just snaps in but be very careful while prying it off. I think the trim around the ignition switch has to come off too and also is just snapped in.

When it gets below 90 degrees in the evening I'll fix mine and take a ton of pics and do a write up on it.

SC400slide the lucky people who have the gated shifters don't have play, lol.
Thx for the details.... looks like lots of work but it will keep me out of trouble.
Old 08-23-13, 01:20 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The worn bushing on the shifter is actually a common problem to all cars with the straight automatic shifter. That's why Toyota came out with the gated shifter in the late 90's, plus it looks good too.
Old 09-24-13, 03:29 PM
SC93
Rookie

[QUOTE=gtsfire;8104975]You will have to completely remove the entire shifter assembly to fix it. Once you have it out you'll have to remove a rubber boot, which I would advise replacing as well. There are 4 bolts connecting the shifter to the body of the car. When you get those out and lift up you'll need to unbolt it from the transmission lever, but BEFORE you do that get a piece of wire, tough string, fishing line, something and run it through the hole on the trans lever and tie it up so that it don't fall down beside the tranny.

=====================================================================

got my bushings and ready to go.

not totally clear on what is meant in red type above. do i have to get under car and disconnect
the rod that goes to the transmission or do i just lift the unit up and take cross bolt out to replace the bushings.

can i do the whole job w/o getting under car??
Old 10-29-16, 06:21 PM
Bouncer
Driver School Candidate

Default Excessive shifter play

Just noticed my shifter just became lose and also has side to side play on my 1995 SC 400

.How long does it take to put the bushings in and can it be done from inside the car. Any pics would be great.

Is there a part number or just ask for shfiter bushings.?

Thanks fellas..
Old 10-29-16, 06:39 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bouncer
Just noticed my shifter just became lose and also has side to side play on my 1995 SC 400

.How long does it take to put the bushings in and can it be done from inside the car. Any pics would be great.

Is there a part number or just ask for shfiter bushings.?

Thanks fellas..
I made a DIY on this awhile back. Make sure to spare a few hours for the first try.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ter-shake.html
Old 10-29-16, 07:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Aside from our friendly debate about how long it takes, SC400slide's guide is spot on for tackling the project.
Old 02-24-18, 11:30 AM
94Lexusguy
Driver School Candidate

Default Shifter bushing replacement

I thank you for this write up! I completed putting in the bushings in a hour on my first try. Only thing I did different was to do ALL of it from inside the car. I have been working on my sound system so my seat passenger seat wasn't in the car wen doing this.. a completely different feel in the shifter! Very happy with the results of a couple little plastic bushings! I will say if u arn't nimble fingered n used to working with very minimal access areas then it would prolly be easier to unhook from under the car ...