Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

obd-2 (obd-II) 2JZ-GE into obd-1 (obd-II) body help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-13, 11:36 PM
tlylesbey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd-2 (obd-II) 2JZ-GE into obd-1 (obd-II) body help

I swapped my 96 2JZ sc300 engine into my 93 sc300 car! I got the car to start but it idles at 1500rpm and im not sure if my battery is being charged, i tried to splice the wires and hook pins in proper places also my airbag light on my dash stays on after i remove the key and close the doors! I kept the engine harness on the 96engine. I have searched and searched and cannot find anything all the threads are left unanswered and i would like some help if someone would be so kind to do so! Thanks
Old 07-15-13, 02:22 AM
tlylesbey
Driver School Candidate

Now for some reason the car doesnt want to keep an idle
Old 07-15-13, 06:26 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ecu? You really need diagrams from both the 96 and 93. I would use the 93 ecu.
Old 07-15-13, 06:43 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrank
What ecu? You really need diagrams from both the 96 and 93. I would use the 93 ecu.
Yep! and 93 maf sensor, you will have to rewire the maf sensor.
Old 07-15-13, 09:05 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you should be able to use the 96 harness and ecu and maf but the 93 harness, ecu and maf should work if the 96 stuff doesn't. you cannot mix and match 93 and 96 use different types of maf's.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-15-13 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 02:12 PM
tlylesbey
Driver School Candidate

I am using the 96 ecu,maf and harness? And the diagrams are you all just talking about the ecu, or the 93 body as well? But i appreciate the help and let you all the results
Old 07-15-13, 02:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

they are talking about both the ecu and the body, when you swap the 96 harness and ecu and maf, you still have the 93 body harness, so you have to do some repining on the body plug of the 96 engine harness probably alot of stuff is in the wrong spot hence causing your cluster issues.
to repin the body plugs you would need the diagram from both cars, and the diagnostic stuff is completely different standards so the check engine light probably won't work with the 96 engine harness in the 93 and you won't have obd2.

what they were suggesting is instead of repinning and trying to make the 96 harness work with the 93 body harness, is to go back and slap on the 93 engine harness, ecu and maf and there should be no issues then,, and you will also be able to pull codes for you car in the future.

There were 2 paths in the road, and you took the harder one by using the 96 harness and ecu and maf in a 93 car.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-15-13 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 04:56 PM
tlylesbey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
they are talking about both the ecu and the body, when you swap the 96 harness and ecu and maf, you still have the 93 body harness, so you have to do some repining on the body plug of the 96 engine harness probably alot of stuff is in the wrong spot hence causing your cluster issues.
to repin the body plugs you would need the diagram from both cars, and the diagnostic stuff is completely different standards so the check engine light probably won't work with the 96 engine harness in the 93 and you won't have obd2.

what they were suggesting is instead of repinning and trying to make the 96 harness work with the 93 body harness, is to go back and slap on the 93 engine harness, ecu and maf and there should be no issues then,, and you will also be able to pull codes for you car in the future.

There were 2 paths in the road, and you took the harder one by using the 96 harness and ecu and maf in a 93 car.
ok thanks for making it more clearer to me and i greatly appreciate it! i will let you all know in a couple of days
Old 07-24-13, 05:16 AM
tlylesbey
Driver School Candidate

Ok so i swapped the engine harness,maf, and ecu (all 93 stuff) and car starts and sound and feels 100% better but still doesnt idle, rpms just drop...no sputter...i havent test drove it just revd the engine....do you think it could be the vaccum lines? But thanks again for the advice you have given me so far! Oh and the engine light came on, there is a plug that i didnt fasten, its on the drivers side close to one by the a/c compressor almost directly horisontal going towards the firewall on the engine block its some kind of sensor, i didnt get to check it was late and dark
Old 07-24-13, 05:19 AM
tlylesbey
Driver School Candidate

Also there was a vaccum on the upper intake manifold on the 96 2jz with a blue plug, i didnt use it, i just tried to use a diagram and connect the hoses how an obdi 2jz would be
Old 07-24-13, 09:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

check the idle air valve on the throttle body is working. sometimes the motors sit around and they will lock up.
for the connectors you will have to post a picture or something, there are so many things in that area that change over the years.
Old 07-26-13, 10:01 AM
shimshady
Driver School Candidate

I have the EXACT same issue. Problem is, I don't have the obd1 ecu or engine harness. I swapped an obd2 motorset into a bare shell...
so far, I've had to run with a vacuum line unplugged and have had to hard-wire my alternator as well as splice in a connector for it.
OP, when you swapped the old harness and ecu, weren't there some plugs and connectors that were different? And maybe some components that still dont work?
Old 07-29-13, 03:01 AM
tlylesbey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
check the idle air valve on the throttle body is working. sometimes the motors sit around and they will lock up.
for the connectors you will have to post a picture or something, there are so many things in that area that change over the years.
Still have the idle issue, the iavc is different on the 2 motors, the 96 2jz has a "breather tube" that goes to the head, and i found out how to connect the plug....operator error lol
Old 07-29-13, 03:03 AM
tlylesbey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shimshady
I have the EXACT same issue. Problem is, I don't have the obd1 ecu or engine harness. I swapped an obd2 motorset into a bare shell...
so far, I've had to run with a vacuum line unplugged and have had to hard-wire my alternator as well as splice in a connector for it.
OP, when you swapped the old harness and ecu, weren't there some plugs and connectors that were different? And maybe some components that still dont work?
The only plug that was different were on the starter and alternator and i just swapped those out, everything works like its suppose to now besides my idle issue
Old 07-29-13, 08:30 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tlylesbey
Still have the idle issue, the iavc is different on the 2 motors, the 96 2jz has a "breather tube" that goes to the head, and i found out how to connect the plug....operator error lol
that hose just take fresh air to the fuel rail to help with fuel atomization, but the iacv itself is the same that is just where they take the air from.

Quick Reply: obd-2 (obd-II) 2JZ-GE into obd-1 (obd-II) body help