Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AEM EMS 30-1101 Confusion

Old 06-29-13, 10:15 PM
drifterx27
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AEM EMS 30-1101 Confusion

I am trying to run a wire from my AEM EMS to trigger my second fuel pump. I go to check the AEM manual online and it has the pin numbers all wrong.

I has the pins on plug B numbers all the way across. But on my EMS it is numbered per plug.

Has anyone else seen this problem before? I am not sure if I can trust the AEM manual to tell me which pin is which. I attached two pics to show you what I am talking about. The first one is from the AEM manual, and the second is what my car has on it.
Attached Thumbnails AEM EMS 30-1101 Confusion-aem-original.jpg   AEM EMS 30-1101 Confusion-aem-in-my-car.jpg  

Last edited by drifterx27; 06-29-13 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-30-13, 05:38 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first one is correct and is also the way that Toyota does it. Make sure you're using a relay and not using the ems itself to drive the pump. Also, depending on how/when you're triggering the pump you might need a retune because of pressure spikes.
Old 06-30-13, 05:55 AM
drifterx27
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vrank
The first one is correct and is also the way that Toyota does it. Make sure you're using a relay and not using the ems itself to drive the pump. Also, depending on how/when you're triggering the pump you might need a retune because of pressure spikes.
Thanks for the reply. I am using a relay for switching the pump on.

But if the first picture is correct, is it safe to use that picture even though my AEM does not correspond with it? Like plug B pin 21 is pin 41 on the top picture.

I am worried that the AEM manuals says pin 21 plug b outputs one thing, but outputs something else instead.

I am also getting a retune because I never finished tuning because of the pressure loss last time.

Last edited by drifterx27; 06-30-13 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-30-13, 06:24 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

What? It corresponds perfectly. I'm only gonna say it once more, aem is right. This also is the way toyota labels it. Pin 41b is pin vcc for example. it's the 5v reference for your temp/tps/pressure sensors. If you look at your ecu you should have a blue/red striped wire in that pin and it will have continuity to the things I mentioned it being used for above.

I mean, if you look at it the way you've got it in your head, then the aem would have to have (2x) pin 21b. It doesn't, because the way you are looking at it is wrong. It only has one pin 21b. If aem couldn't get the pinout correct, do you think your car could do what it does when you drive it? No. Believe aem.
Old 06-30-13, 06:27 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Did you take the time to make the second picture where you have it labeled as three separate 40 pin plugs? because if so, it's incorrect. Throw it away and ignore it because it's complete garbage.
Old 06-30-13, 06:29 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

There, convinced yet? This is directly from Toyota, so throw that garbage picture away.
Old 06-30-13, 09:08 AM
drifterx27
Intermediate

Why are you getting mad. I am questioning the AEM manual because the actual AEM Ecu has the numbers stamped on it in the second picture. It is not because I am only thinking AEM is wrong.

I can take a picture of my AEM Ecu and show you if you feel I am some idiot. Why else would I ask this question. What AEM stamped on the Ecu and what they put in the manual is different. So yeah I have a reason to question this.
Old 06-30-13, 09:33 AM
drifterx27
Intermediate

If it is stamped because the connectors were built that way, then ok. I will just check the pin outs with the manual and swap an unused wire into the low side I need and run it to the relay. I don't have spare pins so I have to repin one and put it in pin 61.
Old 06-30-13, 10:04 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

I see where you are coming from.. those plugs if taken individually as three plugs are numbered 1-40 which some manuals or even the actual plug says. But in reality the two are supposed to be taken as one. So the first picture of pin numbering is supposed to be the real pin numbering . So to take out any confusion, forget about the second picture of pin numbering.

Using an AEM and having wired my red mamba myself and not causing any fire .. lol .. I am pretty sure . I did it right. Not that I know much , I am just like you .. learn as I go but that part I believe I have confirmed especially I have all the additional sensors you can think of and all their wirings incorporated in my harness. Vrank I believe was just trying to make it simple , clear and avoid the confusion.

Find an available LS to trigger that relay to your second pump . Both relays for my pumps (oem denso pump ) and my weldon pump are triggered by LS2 (pins 72) and LS12 (pin 71). My pin 71 (weldon pump) is triggered based on boost . The pin 61 which you mentioned which is LS8 will work too.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-30-13 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-30-13, 10:45 AM
drifterx27
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gerrb
I see where you are coming from.. those plugs if taken individually as three plugs are numbered 1-40 which some manuals or even the actual plug says. But in reality the two are supposed to be taken as one. So the first picture of pin numbering is supposed to be the real pin numbering . So to take out any confusion, forget about the second picture of pin numbering.

Using an AEM and having wired my red mamba myself and not causing any fire .. lol .. I am pretty sure . I did it right. Not that I know much , I am just like you .. learn as I go but that part I believe I have confirmed especially I have all the additional sensors you can think of and all their wirings incorporated in my harness. Vrank I believe was just trying to make it simple , clear and avoid the confusion.

Find an available LS to trigger that relay to your second pump . Both relays for my pumps (oem denso pump ) and my weldon pump are triggered by LS2 (pins 72) and LS12 (pin 71). My pin 71 (weldon pump) is triggered based on boost . The pin 61 which you mentioned which is LS8 will work too.
Thank you very much! Exactly what I wanted to hear. I will use the AEM manual and get this done.