Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

u-joint

Old 05-26-13, 03:11 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default u-joint

hello clublexus. i've been searching and searching for the u-joint for the driveshaft all over google and clublexus and other sites and cant seem to find the part im looking for. if anybody knows where i can buy this part from please let me know. i havent tried the dealer yet since its the weekend and monday is labor day so i dont think it'll be open. but i am looking more for autozone or meyers parts in particular. anything will do though. thanks again.
Old 05-26-13, 03:31 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

moderators feel free to move to maintenance.
Old 05-26-13, 04:48 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

On this forum, search up in the member list "aliga". He should have what you're looking for.
Old 05-30-13, 01:24 AM
SCinSin
Driver School Candidate

I'm not exactly sure, but I've been looking myself. Would have to find the link again but it mention the dealership sells the driveshaft as a whole or some BS. Someone please chime in, and say I'm wrong
Old 06-02-13, 04:34 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The u-joints on the sc300 driveshafts are not serviceable.
Old 06-02-13, 06:21 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by hmhatch
The u-joints on the sc300 driveshafts are not serviceable.
If they aren't, I'm inclined to ask how you can tell if a U-joint has gone bad? Can't they just be totally removed and replaced with a universal U-joint at a driveshaft shop?
Old 06-02-13, 06:54 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Grab both ends of the joint and try to see if there is any play up and down or side to side. A brand new u joint wont flop around freely like a worn one does. If there is no play it is still worn somewhat and will be functional, it just won't have that new tight feeling. Once they develop play they should be replaced and will sometimes cause vibration if the play is bad enough. I bet if you searched on YouTube you would find a video demonstrating everything I said above. As for a driveshaft shop replacing them with something, go for it.
Old 06-15-13, 12:00 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Here's the thing, I do have a bad u-joint. And yes they are non-serviceable steaked units. So instead of lexus letting you buy a u-joint, you have to buy the whole driveshaft. So I found a company. Its called rockforddriveline.com. they sell replacement steaked in u-joints. But the thing is he needs the sizes from the u-joint bearing cap (diameter), the length of the u-joint, and the internal space between the yoke. I just put my whole driveline in right before he called me so I don't want to take it out again and hope someone can give me the answer. But if not then ill have to drop the driveline again and get the measurments. Other than that I don't see anycheaper way to repair a messed up u-joint.
Hmhatch, I already checked it. I know its bad. I just wish it wasn't. Thanks though.