Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket 1JZ-R154 flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 01:37 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts
Default Evolution 1JZ-R154 flywheel?

Edit: simplified

I've searched around but I can't find anything conclusive on this. I've been trying to source a factory Toyota 1JZ flywheel but currently they aren't available.

I've been looking at alternatives. Does anyone have an opinion or experience on the Evolution 11lb lightweight flywheel?

I'd prefer the stock flywheel or a chromoly aftermarket but I'm not looking for anything crazy. This will also be going against an NA motor for now in all likelihood so I don't really want to lose all my low end.

Thanks!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-29-13 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-30-13, 09:36 AM
KahnBB6

I'm going to venture a guess that most of the aftermarket flywheels aren't that good on a JZ compared to a factory one.

I couldn't find any firsthand info on the Evolution flywheel. JUN seemed to be the only aftermarket one worth going to but I found a new OEM Toyota 1JZ flywheel today so my issue has been solved.
Old 05-30-13, 04:23 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the DM flywheel and never looked back. Very high quality and weighs around 11 pounds I think. Kinda expensive but well worth it in my book. I think the name was Evolution.????
Old 05-30-13, 11:19 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I bought the DM flywheel and never looked back. Very high quality and weighs around 11 pounds I think. Kinda expensive but well worth it in my book. I think the name was Evolution.????
That's the one, yes. Evolution. 11lbs or 11.5lbs. It's supposed to be of much higher quality than anything Fidanza sells (which includes SPEC, since theirs are manufactured for them by Fidanza). I'm glad to hear it has worked well for you. No issues, then?
Old 05-31-13, 03:53 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

It just so happen I pulled the tranny yesterday and replaced the rear main seal. I looked over the flywheel and it had one dime size color from being scorched. It maybe because of the ACT Stage 4, 6 puck clutch. I dont know. No other issues from what I can tell. It does help increase the quickness of the rev, but also could possibly loose when off the gas due to the lightness. Overall well worth the money for the purpose of having a lightened flywheel. I have over 500 rwhp and no issues from the flywheel. Period.
Old 05-31-13, 04:14 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to be clear, are you using an R154 engine on an NA 2JZGE engine so you can go 1JZ/2JZGTE later down the line? Just sounds a little odd, might as well wait until you get your new engine and R154 combo together and slap the new flywheel on then.

When i put a Fidanza flywheel on my old 2JZ/W58 setup i did notice the revs climbed a bit faster than my old flywheel. The car also lunges a lot more when you let off the gas due to the quicker loss of momentum from the 12lb flywheel. Also i noticed my gas mileage in the city dropped off quite a bit after the install due the revs climbing quicker than before. You get used to it after a while. Fast foward to today, i still have the old W58 and fidanza flywheel, but this time it's hooked up to a 1JZ unit. Again same issues, but i've gotten used to the lunging on decel and gas mileage is not really a concern to me anymore (boost does that to a person). Overall i like my flywheel, just takes some getting used to
Old 05-31-13, 05:39 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
It just so happen I pulled the tranny yesterday and replaced the rear main seal. I looked over the flywheel and it had one dime size color from being scorched. It maybe because of the ACT Stage 4, 6 puck clutch. I dont know. No other issues from what I can tell. It does help increase the quickness of the rev, but also could possibly loose when off the gas due to the lightness. Overall well worth the money for the purpose of having a lightened flywheel. I have over 500 rwhp and no issues from the flywheel. Period.
That's the firsthand opinion I needed, thank you! The style of clutch and power level you have are more than I'm going to achieve, 1JZPWRD. I'm familiar with how a lightweight flywheel feels from my last car and I'm aware that off-boost (which is no boost for me currently) it might be harder to drive moderately off the line. But if 500whp has given you no issues even with a puck clutch, I'm sold. I did just luck out and find a Toyota 1JZ factory flywheel but I will probably have to upgrade it eventually. So far, your flywheel (Evolution) and JUN are the two alternatives that seem the best.

Originally Posted by StiCk3
Just to be clear, are you using an R154 engine on an NA 2JZGE engine so you can go 1JZ/2JZGTE later down the line? Just sounds a little odd, might as well wait until you get your new engine and R154 combo together and slap the new flywheel on then.

When i put a Fidanza flywheel on my old 2JZ/W58 setup i did notice the revs climbed a bit faster than my old flywheel. The car also lunges a lot more when you let off the gas due to the quicker loss of momentum from the 12lb flywheel. Also i noticed my gas mileage in the city dropped off quite a bit after the install due the revs climbing quicker than before. You get used to it after a while. Fast foward to today, i still have the old W58 and fidanza flywheel, but this time it's hooked up to a 1JZ unit. Again same issues, but i've gotten used to the lunging on decel and gas mileage is not really a concern to me anymore (boost does that to a person). Overall i like my flywheel, just takes some getting used to
Close. I'm going with a 2JZ-GTE swap instead of the 1JZ VVT-i I was very interested in. Even though I've moved out of Cali I may be moving back there in a year so I decided to get an R154 transmission ready to swap onto my 2JZ-GE or onto a 2JZ-GTE depending on what happens (and yes, I am well aware of the headache that is getting a 2JZ-GTE set up for USDM spec with additional Cali emissions equipment). For right now I may just want to swap it in with a cheap stock 7MGTE clutch and retire my W58. It's not ready to go in yet, nor am I moving anytime right now. I may wait.

StiCk3, based on what your impressions are, I might be wary of the jerking you describe but I think it might be offset with having a decent amount of boost. It may not benefit me now but it may later on. Funny, gas mileage isn't much of a concern to me either even without boost.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-31-13 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-31-13, 05:45 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Glad I could help you out. I hope my information has helped you decide on which is best for you and your build. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 05-31-13, 05:59 PM
KahnBB6

You have, 1JZPWRD and StiCk3, thank you!

I've got most of the car sorted for a swap at this point. TT rear brakes will go in shortly once my new rotors come in. Then it's really just prepping the R154 and starting on the long road of converting a JDM 2JZGTE into a Cali-spec USDM GTE. After my conversations with one clueless BAR ref and one very knowledgeable BAR ref this week, I'm far less worried than I used to be.
Old 06-01-13, 05:06 AM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You sure the factory flywheel isn't available? 13405-46030. Last time I checked my local dealer there were quite a few in the country.
Old 06-01-13, 07:01 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I wanted to add to this also. If you need new bolts, I used the 8.8 Grade Fastenal bolts. They worked great and had no issues. Make sure to apply Red Loctite. The Evolution Flywheel came with a bracket to secure the bolts from backing out, sorta like a backing plate with tabs. Pictures of the this is in my signature below, around page 40 or so.
Old 06-01-13, 07:49 AM
KahnBB6

Hmhatch, I tried both Carson and Driftmotion two weeks ago and in both cases there was a stop-sale order applied to that part number for US customers. This, despite there being 20-30 in a warehouse in the USA at time of this posting. It's kind of the same thing that happened with the early R154 Soarer extended shifter housings and internal arms-- still available but disallowed from US sales. Apparently this stop-sale could change or not. it hasn't been applied to 1JZ bellhousings yet.

For the OEM flywheel I found one shop in Florida that had a few in stock.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-01-13 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-01-13, 07:53 AM
KahnBB6

1JZPWRD, thank you! I was planning on using ARP flywheel bolts but I wasn't sure if Loctite was needed. The factory non-reusable Toyota bolts are supposed to have some way that they don't allow backing out if you follow the manual procedure to the letter.

I'm going to check out your install thread to see this backing plate.
Old 06-01-13, 08:17 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Your welcome. No problem. The backing plate is just another piece of mind, with the addition of the Loctite. I used the impact to loosen mine up, and they came right out, even after been in there for over a year. Don't be afraid to use it.
Old 06-02-13, 10:07 PM
SC300-T
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the one from DM and haven't had any issues with it.