Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Manifold flange warped??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-13, 04:40 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold flange warped??

I have come to the conclusion that I have an exhaust leak. Upon my investigation I found the exhaust flange, where the turbo mounts, is leaking, and you can hear and feel air from 2 sides. After me tearing the turbo off, I found the gasket still in good shape, and I reinstalled it, thinking it might need to be tweaked. Well that was a waste of time and effort. I then found the actual flange where the turbo sits, is actually warped. I put a level measuring device on the flange, and it was indeed warped, almost 1/8inch or a tad more. I have never seen this before or even read about this before. I was so frustrated, I left it apart. I also found three of the bolts that secured the BW to the flange bent, not broken. I retapped them but they still do not seem tight, seem a little loose. I am thinking of having them welded and retapped or.........................?????

I am under the impression of two things happening in the event of this:

1) Can I remove the manifold and have a machine shop file down to make it level again?

2) By doing this, will this weaken the exhaust manifold even worse, being less as thick?

3) But another one?

4) If I buy another one, will the DP have to altered, to sit properly, due to the new manifold?

5) Will the wastegate flange also have to be altered to get this done correctly?

6) I am thinking the last two things is a minimum to have to happen in order to get it right. But are all the 1JZ and 2JZ from different companies the same in aspect of fitment for the turbo to rest?

7) Sell the SC...

8) Fix it and be happy, happy, happy....

9) I am leaning towards 8, but need some advice........ What to do???
Old 05-25-13, 05:48 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Are you saying that your manifold exhaust flange is warped because of heat ? Damn ... how many miles you have put on that manifold ?

You need to find out if it was caused by heat or something else. Replacing it with the same one will just put you in the same situation in the future. If you don't use or get exactly the same manifold then exhaust and wastegate flanges may have to be modified.
Old 05-25-13, 06:24 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Are you saying that your manifold exhaust flange is warped because of heat ? Damn ... how many miles you have put on that manifold ?

You need to find out if it was caused by heat or something else. Replacing it with the same one will just put you in the same situation in the future. If you don't use or get exactly the same manifold then exhaust and wastegate flanges may have to be modified.
Gerry, alot of turbo manifold flanges are warped as well as the the flange for the turbo these issues are due to the enormous heat used when there being welded the flanges will and do contort when cooled it is always a good idea to have the flanges checked by a machinist for a flat and level surface and deck /or machine flat as necessary.
Old 05-25-13, 06:25 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Spoke with Roger for a bit concerning this. He seems to think I can get the flange decked and it should be good to go. I kinda agree. He makes alot of sense. I told him that I would also get the the actual part that bolts to the head checked as well. I did not want to have to change out the other if I didnt. I wanted to keep what I could if all possible. I was afraid by having it decked or trimmed that it will get hotter and warp again. Not in this case I dont believe.

Jerry want to come up on Wednesday and lend a hand??? Could use some small hands in removing this darn thing. I dont think I will have wrapped again either. We will see how it goes.

Anyone else have there manifold flange decked??? The results? ?
Old 05-25-13, 06:28 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I think all this started when I didnt supoort the exhaust when I put in the new MKIV LSD rear end... one thing leads to another. Just my luck.
Old 05-25-13, 06:30 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Spoke with Roger for a bit concerning this. He seems to think I can get the flange decked and it should be good to go. I kinda agree. He makes alot of sense. I told him that I would also get the the actual part that bolts to the head checked as well. I did not want to have to change out the other if I didnt. I wanted to keep what I could if all possible. I was afraid by having it decked or trimmed that it will get hotter and warp again. Not in this case I dont believe.

Jerry want to come up on Wednesday and lend a hand??? Could use some small hands in removing this darn thing. I dont think I will have wrapped again either. We will see how it goes.

Wrapping of ceramic coating is a real benefit for 2 primary reasons, the obvious significant heat reduction and the more unknown reason exhaust exits faster when the temp in the exhaust is kept hotter IE: more efficient evacuation!
Old 05-25-13, 06:32 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I think all this started when I didnt supoort the exhaust when I put in the new MKIV LSD rear end... one thing leads to another. Just my luck.

Sorry BUT I disagree!
Old 05-25-13, 06:34 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Gerry, alot of turbo manifold flanges are warped as well as the the flange for the turbo these issues are due to the enormous heat used when there being welded the flanges will and do contort when cooled it is always a good idea to have the flanges checked by a machinist for a flat and level surface and deck /or machine flat as necessary.
thanks for the info .. especially coming from the gurus ..that at least confirmed my suspicion.

Buddy , this and next week won't allow me to go anywhere due to some commitments I promised my wife.
Old 05-25-13, 06:36 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Roger your prolly right. I will wrap with DEI once I get the manifold back. I will make this a great thread with pictures of course. I will post up my tolerances and what it looks like being warped. I also didnt like the way the flange had so many pits in it. Prolly from previous owner and the left over gasket from his build. I may work on this tomorrow, I may not. The sooner I get it out, the sooner I will get it back and up and running. Anyone got some stock 1jz or 2jz exhaust manifold gaskets lying around???
Old 05-25-13, 06:37 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Wrapping of ceramic coating is a real benefit for 2 primary reasons, the obvious significant heat reduction and the more unknown reason exhaust exits faster when the temp in the exhaust is kept hotter IE: more efficient evacuation!
So you are saying.. keep the wrap ? I was just about to say that I am removing my wrap after Mark mentioned something about the wrap. Isn't the wrap keeping all the heat in the manifold thus overheating it and keeping it glow and causes the warping ?

Currently I have DEI on my manifold and downpipe .. and am about to get a DEI turbo blanket ...
Old 05-25-13, 06:38 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

thanks for the info .. especially coming from the gurus ..that at least confirmed my suspicion.

Buddy , this and next week won't allow me to go anywhere due to some commitments I promised my wife.
Thats ok man. We will finally meet one day. Spend some time with the wife. My wife was a little upset today by me spending all day in the garage on such a gorgeous day!! I understand. .
Old 05-25-13, 06:39 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

So you are saying.. keep the wrap ? I was just about to say that I am removing my wrap after Mark mentioned something about the wrap. Isn't the wrap keeping all the heat in the manifold thus overheating it and keeping it glow and causes the warping ?

Currently I have DEI on my manifold and downpipe .. and am about to get a DEI turbo blanket ...
That's the way I understood it also... Roger, care to answer with more details. I know you rather call, but post it up.. lol
Old 05-25-13, 06:41 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Anyone got some stock 1jz or 2jz exhaust manifold gaskets lying around???
does it need to be new ? I might have one but will confirm tomorrow when I check in my garage and send it to you .
Old 05-25-13, 06:44 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Thats ok man. We will finally meet one day. Spend some time with the wife. My wife was a little upset today by me spending all day in the garage on such a gorgeous day!! I understand. .
If only my wife can burn my cars , she would have done it a long time ago , LMAOL . She said since I got hooked up with Supras and SCs .. I spent more time on my cars than with her. ... . I have to work on that I guess.
Old 05-25-13, 08:06 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wrap will contain the heat making cracking of the manifold an easier task but it does make the manifold more efficient if you keep the manifold hot so you don't get a temperature difference from the exhaust gases and the manifold itself. If you have a quality manifold I would wrap it etc. The tubing is thicker and can handle The head cycle of the turbo manifold. The cheap eBay ones use cheaper grade materials and the tubing is very thin which makes them very prone to cracking.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold flange warped??