Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 - Ridiculously high clutch engagement

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 03:43 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Gerry is right. And he's tried many different clutch kits on his gearboxes

The modest couple of single disk Southbend kits I mentioned are good for drivability at lower power levels (365ft-lbs to around 400 ft-lbs or slightly more) and their quality is good at least from all the recommendations I've read. I'll have to get back to you on how long one of their clutch kits last for me at 300whp-350whp. I am playing my GTE setup VERY conservative so that will work for me but probably not for you even with the higher spec discs & pressure plates.

As Gerry recommends, a good twin disk setup on an R154 with higher power levels seems to be the consensus. Yes, they're more expensive but they do the job well and seem to be easier to modulate than the toughest aftermarket single disc kits.
Old 08-21-17, 04:41 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
a good twin disk setup on an R154 with higher power levels seems to be the consensus. Yes, they're more expensive but they do the job well and seem to be easier to modulate than the toughest aftermarket single disc kits.
Originally Posted by Studiogeek
If I don't swap tranny, twin disk is next!
Thank you!
With his current +655rwhp power (not sure though what torque) , knowing that every damn owner of a performance car never gets satisfied , he might as well ditch first that R154. Trans internal pressure will be his next problem... spitting fluid from the seals or shifter housing . He maybe one of the lucky ones that will not but 95% of those making over 500rwhp on an R154 had that problem. You don't have to go far , I can name a lot of them on this forum and people I personally know.

So instead of going twin clutch spending further on an R154 setup , I would strongly suggest ... save , save , save for now and do it right the in next round of expenditures .... go Tremec Magnum and never look back .

Just my $0.02
Old 08-21-17, 05:57 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
With his current +655rwhp power (not sure though what torque) , knowing that every damn owner of a performance car never gets satisfied , he might as well ditch first that R154. Trans internal pressure will be his next problem... spitting fluid from the seals or shifter housing . He maybe one of the lucky ones that will not but 95% of those making over 500rwhp on an R154 had that problem. You don't have to go far , I can name a lot of them on this forum and people I personally know.

So instead of going twin clutch spending further on an R154 setup , I would strongly suggest ... save , save , save for now and do it right the in next round of expenditures .... go Tremec Magnum and never look back .

Just my $0.02
I'm going to try. I am married to an accountant working in finance. This is getting rough. :-)
Old 08-21-17, 06:12 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

What does a T56 swap cost in total? Everything needed after pulling the R154 setup.
Old 08-21-17, 06:52 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm going to try. I am married to an accountant working in finance. This is getting rough. :-)
accountant, lawyer , teacher ... whatever ... I will post her quick in your local craigslist , if she objects ...lmaol.

What does a T56 swap cost in total? Everything needed after pulling the R154 setup.
Depending on your R154 .. you should be able to sell that R154 and clutch for around $3k .... tremec magnum is $3200 brand new.

then save for the clutch setup that comes with pressure plate , cost depends on single or dual . get the shifter , bellhousing . The trans mount can be done if you know someone who welds.
Old 08-21-17, 09:43 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gerrb
accountant, lawyer , teacher ... whatever ... I will post her quick in your local craigslist , if she objects ...lmaol.

Depending on your R154 .. you should be able to sell that R154 and clutch for around $3k .... tremec magnum is $3200 brand new.

then save for the clutch setup that comes with pressure plate , cost depends on single or dual . get the shifter , bellhousing . The trans mount can be done if you know someone who welds.
So 5-6K might work? Ill do some research. I'd love a brand new, powerful, lifetime transmission. I need to figure out the real, total numbers.

Thanks Gerrb!
Old 08-21-17, 10:53 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Good luck with that. You're going to need it.

I have a degree in both of those fields (accounting and finance), so I know exactly what mindset you're trying to negotiate with.

Think of buying a brand new T56 as a long term investment into your car. By buying the best available transmission now, you'll be saving more money in the long run by eliminating potential transmission problems.

This is what I've been looking at.

Prices are for everything brand new from grannas:
T56 Swap kit + brand new stock transmission $ 4965
3.5" aluminum Drive Shaft (if bought with kit) +$480
Clutch kit [Clutch masters FX400 (700 tq) + Clutch masters hydraulic throw out bearing] $1195
Billet steel W58 flywheel (if bought with clutch kit) $ 500
Grand total $7140 for a setup that can handle 700 torque to the rear wheels

CD009 with everything new from Collins:
CD009 to JZ adapter kit $1995.99
Brand new CD009 +$1850
Aluminum Drive shaft +$125 (Steel included with kit)
Labor to cut transmission and install adapter +$249
Clutch kit w/ hydraulic bearing (500 tq) + (Included in kit)
Flywheel + (Included in kit)
SC300 shifter adapter +$225
Grand total $4444.99 for a setup that can handle 500 torque to the rear wheels (rated based on included clutch)

All prices are plus shipping. You could source used parts or from different vendors, but that should give you a general idea of what you're looking at.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blkexcoupe:
KahnBB6 (08-22-17), Studiogeek (08-22-17)
Old 05-26-21, 06:06 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Hi Guys!
Many years later, I was not able to pull off the T56 but I did get an OS Giken TR2CD, twin disk with a hydraulic bearing kit.
Guess what? this is my fourth clutch on this setup and it STILL RELEASES AT THE VERY TOP!
Clutch has been this way from day one. It has 3K miles or so on it.

Still High!
Old 05-27-21, 01:33 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Hi Guys!
Many years later, I was not able to pull off the T56 but I did get an OS Giken TR2CD, twin disk with a hydraulic bearing kit.
Guess what? this is my fourth clutch on this setup and it STILL RELEASES AT THE VERY TOP!
Clutch has been this way from day one. It has 3K miles or so on it.

Still High!
Wow! Honestly that may be a characteristic of the OS Giken clutches as well. My STR2CD (the softer version of your clutch) on my R154 does engage a little high but it's not too bad for me. I've been working on my SC for the last few weeks so I'll have to really focus on the clutch engagement point the next time I drive it and report back here. Suffice it to say for now that despite having a very challenging "ON/OFF" experience for first 500 or so miles of the initial break-in (I kept being gentle through the first 1,000 miles though) this OS Giken twin disc has become second nature for me and very easy to operate.

It is a "race" style clutch though. At least it's very easy to modulate now compared to those first 500 miles!