Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ-GE ACIS Intake Vacuum Control Valve install questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 06:58 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2JZ-GE ACIS Intake Vacuum Control Valve install questions

Hey guys,

Need some help re-installing the ACIS intake butterfly valve in the plenum. I need help on how exactly the vacuum lines hookup to properly control the valve.

There are two ports on the top of the pressure tank, A and P and the VSV solenoid has two ports but they aren't labeled what goes where.

Is the valve supposed to be normally shut, or open during normal driving conditions? From what I saw the valve is fully open at the moment with nothing attached.

Just looking for some direction or links to this as I tried connecting port A on the tank to the top port on the VSV, port P to a vacuum source, and the bottom port on the VSV to the ACIS actuator but I didn't notice any difference.

Last edited by HiPSI; 05-10-13 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-10-13, 07:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the valve is supossed to be normally open, and shut at the lower rpm's when you get on the throttle alot.
don't know exactly where the vac lines go mines off the car right now.
Old 05-10-13, 05:31 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I've hooked up the vacuum lines correctly the issue I have is the VSV solenoid that controls the actuator isn't opening or working. I noticed this as when I unplugged the other side of the solenoid no vacuum was present. The ACIS valve is supposed to stay closed with vacuum during conditions under 4k and under 60% throttle.

I wonder if the VSV is bad. I hooked up the ACIS actuator directly to a vacuum source and it immediately shut like it should during idle and cruising conditions. Does maybe the ECU need to be reset?
Old 05-10-13, 05:32 PM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom of VSV goes to port A on vacuum tank.

Top of VSV goes to the hard line with a 90 degree bend and goes to the ACIS actuator.

Port B on vacuum tank goes to the hard line that is straight then t's in on the intake plenum by the brake booster vacuum source.
Old 05-10-13, 05:45 PM
Bflatsharp
Driver

This is how the manual says to test the components

VSV - Check for continuity between both pins should have 38.5-44.5 ohms at 68 degrees
Should not be any continuity between either pin and the body of VSV
Make sure air flows from top port on VSV to filter of VSV
Apply battery voltage to VSV terminals and verify air flows from top port to bottom port

Vacuum tank - Air should flow from port A to port B
Air should not flow from port B to port A
Plug port B and apply 15.75in.Hg to port A for 1 minute and check that there is no change.

Actuator - Apply 15.75in.Hg to the actuator and make sure the rod moves. After a minute make sure the rod does not move.

Best I can do for ya right now. No actual experience in testing the system installed on the car.
Old 05-10-13, 05:51 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bflatsharp
Bottom of VSV goes to port A on vacuum tank.

Top of VSV goes to the hard line with a 90 degree bend and goes to the ACIS actuator.

Port B on vacuum tank goes to the hard line that is straight then t's in on the intake plenum by the brake booster vacuum source.
Yep! The intake vacuum source feeds the B port on the tank , the outlet port A of the tank feeds the very bottom port on the VSV, and the the port closest to the harness connector (top) or outlet feeds the ACIS actuator.

With all this connected and the harness plugged in the ACIS butterfly doesn't shut at idle. If I connect the actuator to a vacuum source it shuts immediately.
Old 05-10-13, 06:13 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I think I'm misinterpreting how the ECM and VSV controls the ACIS.

Here is the verbiage for the ACIS system:
When the engine speed is 4500rpm or less and throttle plate angle ABOVE 30deg the ECM turns on the VSV which shuts the ACIS valve in the intake plenum. It seems at idle and above 4500rpm the ACIS butterfly is open.
Old 05-10-13, 06:58 PM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Ok I think I'm misinterpreting how the ECM and VSV controls the ACIS.

Here is the verbiage for the ACIS system:
When the engine speed is 4500rpm or less and throttle plate angle ABOVE 30deg the ECM turns on the VSV which shuts the ACIS valve in the intake plenum. It seems at idle and above 4500rpm the ACIS butterfly is open.
I would have to agree with this. When the VSV gets battery power it allows air flow from the top port to the bottom port sending vacuum to the actuator and closing it.

So far sounds like it could be working just fine.
Old 05-22-13, 08:52 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Didn't see this, you are correct the ACIS is normally open most of the time, including idle when the throttle is less than 30%.
the only time it will activate and close, is when you are under 4500 rpm's and have pushed the throttle down more than 30%, so if you want to test it with the car idling, you have to blip the throttle more than 30% and if you hit 30% before 4500 rpm's it should close for a split second right after you blip it, but it may not close very much and may go back to open very fast when testing it like this in neutral, but you should be able to see some movement to tell its working If I remember right.
Its also a good idea to let the motor warm up before you start blipping it, 1 because its better for the motor, and 2 because a warm engine will pull a stronger vacuum which is what is stored in the tank and used to open the ACIS in times when the engine isn't making enough vacuum to close the valve, sort of like a brake booster, which is why the line to the tank has a check valve on it.

Its a pretty neat system they literally thought of everything by the time the 2jzge got it, and we can thank the 7mge for being the experiment child.

You just motivated me to reinstall my ACIS tank and see If I can get it to work with the aristo ecu I am running.
I am thinking I can, and I am excited to get that extra punch back that I was missing with the FFIM.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-22-13 at 09:00 AM.