Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AEM EMS v2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 04:40 PM
yell0w
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEM EMS v2?

So i'm planning to have a well known shop here in my state build me a turbo kit for my 97 sc300 (was auto but swapped with a w58). They asked me earlier what type of fuel management I was deciding to go with and I told them a AEM EMS v2. The following day I recieved and email with this quote "The biggest limiting factor is your transmission. We are unsure if the ECU controls the transmission, or if it has it’s own control unit. So we are questioning if EMS would be the best choice for you or not. " I don't know too much about the AEM EMS v2 but i do know everyone always says "Go Standalone and be done with it".

Anyone know if the AEM EMS v2 would be a problem?
Old 05-06-13, 05:31 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

As of matter of fact, I was playing with my V2 yesterday, and it does control the auto tranny and its shift points. The V2 is the best thing since slice bread man. You cant wrong with it, very user friendly, and easy to adjust. Keep in mind Windows 8 computers will not allow you to connect. Its the system and AEM is currently working the issue. You will be fine with Windows 7 or Vista. The other bad thing is that DM pricing just went up. Its now around 1400 while it was only 1250 six months ago.
Old 05-06-13, 06:14 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry, wont work on ge auto tranny , 97 sc300 auto is kickdown cable driven , aem will control the gte tranny as its electronic .. why not get yourself a gte tranny .. its just a couple of wires over to the ecu and pin it correctly and your golden .. then youll have a tranny good for the 400 rwhp range

also be very careful who tunes your auto if you get one compatible with the aem as not all tuners are created equal .. many ive seen try and basically prematurely blow up the tranny .. its takes abit of skill to get the line pressure , shift points and timing all working together .. one of nicest thing s about using the aem for the gte auto is the ability for a good tuner to prevent wheel spin in the lower load range for the with the auto , thats one of the biggest killers is sudden traction loss and grab ..

my friend had alpha tune his gte auto equipped sc , made 511rwhp and been driving since 2011 with zero issues

Last edited by lexforlife; 05-06-13 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 06:16 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thats a good point I didnt know that. I knew that the AEM controlled auto tranny, unsure which one. Thanks for that info.
Old 05-06-13, 06:34 PM
yell0w
Driver

But since the auto has been swappd out for a w58tranny should that even matter anymore?
Old 05-06-13, 07:56 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yell0w
So i'm planning to have a well known shop here in my state build me a turbo kit for my 97 sc300 (was auto but swapped with a w58). They asked me earlier what type of fuel management I was deciding to go with and I told them a AEM EMS v2. The following day I recieved and email with this quote "The biggest limiting factor is your transmission. We are unsure if the ECU controls the transmission, or if it has it’s own control unit. So we are questioning if EMS would be the best choice for you or not. " I don't know too much about the AEM EMS v2 but i do know everyone always says "Go Standalone and be done with it".

Anyone know if the AEM EMS v2 would be a problem?
^^^^^^these guys are going to build your turbo kit^^^^^^^^^^^ with those responses????
Old 05-06-13, 08:12 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are running a stick NOW then an auto whatever dosen't matter. you are swapping out the whole ecu when running a aem. so i don't see the problem here??

iam going to go v2 here in a few months myself.
Old 05-06-13, 08:58 PM
yell0w
Driver

LOL Like I said. It's not a auto anymore, it has been replaced with a w58. I know "this guy" that i'm dealing with sounds kinda iffy but the shop itself is very reputable in the states here. We'll see what they come up with. It's just a quote so i'm not too worried. I figured i'd just throw this topic out there and see what the Sc300 owners input were.

But to be honest I figured AEM EMS v2 would be the best option ever for a sc300 going turbo etc., not including funds of course
Old 05-06-13, 09:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Is the AEM the absolute best out there, definitely not, but it is great for the price and will do everything you need it to...

My big question would be the shop you are dealing with... I've personally tuned a half dozen cars with AEM's and I don't make a living off doing it...

Maybe ask them what their plan for your car is given your goals and post that here, can then give you a better idea if they are on the right track or not...
Old 05-06-13, 09:16 PM
yell0w
Driver

That's a great point. I told them that this build is not a quick get it done and leave it forever type of deal. Since i'm sitting with the w58, that already keeps me to a 400hp max. But the real goal was to be around 450-550hp. So i told them that I wanted to get most of the kit to be ready for that but then be safe tuned so that it's pretty much got a seal on it until i can upgrade the trans. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-06-13, 10:37 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so the aem that DM sells will control a 1jz auto? this is from their site. "It is ONLY FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION vehicles, it has no controls for an automatic transmission".
Old 05-07-13, 12:16 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

The aem Driftmotion box I believe is a Honda aem box adapted to use with the 1jz or something along the lines of that. Hence the price is a bit cheaper than a 2jz box.
Old 05-07-13, 05:26 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

That is correct. That is what I bought. All I know is that I saw the tabs for the auto features. I am unsure of anything further on what auto or if this box is for manual trannies only.
Old 05-07-13, 09:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Lets set the whole auto standalone thing straight, because clearly the manufacturer has failed to describe whats going on.

the line pressure cable is not that important, if you are keeping your stock throttle body, it will be controlled mechanically like it always has been via the line pressure cable thats attached to the throttle body, the aem does not have to control it, and cant control a mechanical line pressure, it can only control the electronic kind found on the 2jzgte and newer auto's.

Thats why they say it doesn't support that auto trans because aem is supossed to give you control over everything, but the line pressure cannot be controlled by the aem on that specific auto trans.
The fact of the matter is that the aem can control all the shifting but just can't control the line pressure, but the cable attached to your throttle body is already doing that for you (yay one less thing to tune). So while its technically not 100% specifically supported, you can make the trans work.

You may loose some fine granularity if you really want to custom tune the line pressure, but most of the time the stock setup where it shifts soft when the throttle isn't pressed, and then the more you press the throttle the more it pulls the cable, and the firmer the shift is.
You really don't need a whole programmable table to get that to work right, the mechanical works alright.
I think part of the reason is they know these trans are weaker so that is probably another good reason not to "support them".

If you go to an aftermarket throttle body, you can always pull and tie the cable to keep the pressure constant wherever you want to set it (probably firmer shifts in theory also helps the trans last longer due to less slipping of the clutches).

If you are manual or manual swapped, you can basically run whatever ecu you can find.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-07-13 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-07-13, 09:23 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dm aem will not control the 1jz auto , not gonna work.

OP is manual anyway so it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS v2?