Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine oil/ tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 03:13 AM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil/ tranny oil

Hey there guys, I recently bought my sc300 and came from an is300. I used to own an automatic so virtually never had to change the tranny oil and always used 5w30 valvoline engine oil for my old 2jz. I now have a 1jzgte, full 3 in, intake, fmic and bov.. whether that is relevant or not I just wanted to say it. I now have a w58 5 speed as well.

Anyways, I have looked at numerous threads on what engine oil and tranny oil to use in this engine but I know that oil and new oil changes on what is recommended all of the time. I am basically just wondering, what is the BEST oil for both engine/tranny to use in my new setup? I am looking for the best performance for power wise while not sacraficing any reliability in longevity of my engine/tranny life. I don't care about the price but also don't want it to be ridiculously more expensive for not much better, also I like changing my oil every 2-4k mi as I love treating my engine the best. What do you guys now reccomend as please don't say to search because I have and most people didn't know/things and oil brands change and come out with new brands all the time so I feel much more comfortable with people with a setup like mine to take advice from. Thanks!

I have looked on this thread as well as many others, do you think the 0w30 german oil still stands as being the best for my setup?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...1jz-2jz-2.html
Old 05-01-13, 05:42 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

There is really no one answer to this question. Once you go to a quality synthetic, I doubt anyone can tell the difference in any way between most brands.

I would NOT do the 0-30 as that is not the weight for our cars. Personally, I use Pennzoil Platinum which I buy in 5 qt jugs at WalMart for around $23.

I use the Toyota OEM filter. For the trans, if it were me, I would just use Royal Purple or Red Line trans oil and be done with it. Both are great and you don't use much at all.

PS-I change my engine oil every six months regardless of mileage (I don't drive all that much). If I drove more miles, I would change at 5000 miles with a full syn.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-13, 07:27 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

There is no simple answer because there is no "best". For the transmission the factory recommendation is a 75w-90 weight oil I personally always ran Redline in the past on all various project cars, but am about to switch my entire drive line to Amsoil for the first time. Look to spend around $15/qt or so for those brands. You could also go straight to Toyota and get the factory oils which you can't go wrong with, just expect to pay stealership prices. Or you can go to the parts store and get some off the shelf stuff like Mobil 1 for a little cheaper, but will likely still be just fine.

As for engine oils, that can be debated until the end of time. Just go with what you think is best for you. If money was no thing, I'd run Amsoil. But me personally, I change my oil quite a bit so I run stuff a little more readily available from the parts store. Usually whatever 5W-30 synthetic is on sale. If 0W-30 was on sale I'd run that too. It's not thinner. Once it reaches operating temp it's the same weight (30) as the 5W or 10W variant is . It's just not as thick when cold, which if anything is helpful in my opinion. But oil is it's own science.

For filters, I usually try to use WIX / Napa Gold. Decent bang for the buck filters in my opinion

That's just my opinion, and what I do. Just figure out what you think is best for you and go with it. You really can't go wrong and probably won't notice much difference with whatever you choose, unless you start trying to run vegetable oil.
Old 05-01-13, 08:14 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

My opinion:
If you live in California or anywhere warm most of the time you should be using 10w30 full synthetic.
If you live somewhere where it gets alot colder in the winter, then use 5w30 in the cold months and 10w30 in the summer months, or just run 5w30 year around like your oil cap says =)
0w30 is probably fine in Germany where it gets very very cold and is necessary, or even some of the colder parts of the US, but unless you drop lower than 20 degrees on a regular basis I would just run the 5w30 in winter. thinner oil is not better unless the thicker oil doesn't work fast enough, but once you get to that point you don't want to keep going thinner, you want the thickest that works.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-01-13 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-01-13, 09:25 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

To make a general statement that 10w-30 is thicker than a 5W-30 (or even a 0W-30) is not the complete truth in my opinion. They are all 30wt oils once the oil has reached operating temp (200+ Fahrenheit), so would all be of similar thickness at that point. The difference is the ones with a lower "W" number will thicken less when below that temp. Hell even one manufactures 0W-30 could actually be thicker at operating temp than another manufacturers 10W-30.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
^^^
Read the whole thing if you are truly interested in the facts/details about oil weights.

FWIW it usually takes me around 15-20min of driving before my oil even reaches normal operating temp (200+ degrees).

And just for example sake, here's some rough numbers for comparison

GC 0W-30: 12.1 cSt @ 212*F
M1 5W-30: 11.3 cSt @ 212*F
M1 10W-30: 10.0 cSt @ 212*F

Higher cSt = thicker. So here you can see that the "thinnest" oil is actually the 10W-30 (lowest cSt) at operating temp.

Last edited by Halon; 05-01-13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-04-13, 07:16 AM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha well now you all see why I started this thread!! So much controversy and so many different opinions have been sprouted just in the past couple years on both eng/tran oil. I normally always would use the oem filters on both my old IS3 and second gen GS3 but also would use the fram filters, is there any opinions on the differences of those two, or what should be better than both? I guess I need to do more research on simply the best oils for both tran/eng but I don't seem how I can do more research than what I have done so far which is really why I guess I would just love more opinions! Maybe I should start up a vote thread on eng/tran oils? This is a very touchy subject for me especially now that I have a 1jz and have always owned 2jz's (as oils should be the same, but so many different opinions from people who own 1jz vs 2jz) so I really don't know where to turn! Any help further or opinions is greatly appreciated!!!