Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 won't crank when warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 04:46 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need to consider more possibilities, here...

There is a switch under the center console that senses if the gearshift is in the "Park" position or not. If it's not in "Park", the car won't turn over.
In an older car, or in a car that is warmed up, there is a possibility that the switch sometimes does not get fully depressed when the gearshift is all the way in "Park".
This leads some owners to suspect the starter, when the only problem is that switch in the center console.

In mild cases, the switch can be made to connect by shoving the gearshift forward with the left hand, while cranking the key with the right hand.
That's what worked for me for years, in the two or three times a year this happens in my '92.
In more severe cases, the switch can be replaced, although it does not seem to be easy to access.
It's a long shot, but there's a possibility that's the issue described in this thread.
Old 03-01-20, 07:52 AM
Anstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jims400
Hello to all to Lexus gurus. Just bought a 1994 SC400. Car started fine when test drove and starts fine every morning. The problem is after an hour drive the car won't turn over.

All the dash lights work. Battery is good. Alternator is good. Assuming starter relay is good because it starts every morning.

Like I said, drive it for a half hour...turn it off...won't crank. Turn the key to crank, no clicking or sounds, tach and speedo lights go off, idiot lights stay illuminated, won't crank over. Let it sit for an hour or so and it fires right up. Cranks fast and starts right away.

As far as I can tell this year didn't have any special keys. All it came with was a Lexus key, no chip in the key ( as far as I can tell ) and no remote to open the doors. if there's a special key needed please correct me.

Does anyone have an idea what I need to be looking for? I tried to lock and unlock the door 3 or 4 times to reset the security but that didn't work. I'm inclined to think it's something to do with the security system but can't find any documentation on exactly how it works. It's just strange it will start in the morning but drive it and it refuses to crank, for a long time.

I'm at a point where if I drive the car I have to sit in it for 2 hours before it will start again. No fun in that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Spoiler

Hey Jim
Did you ever solve the not starting when hot problem?