Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2000 SC400 grinding noise first gear/low speeds - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 07:23 AM
luccig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 SC400 grinding noise first gear/low speeds - FIXED

So I had this scratching sound, like something was touching something coming from the middle of the car, like the shaft was grinding against something, first gear and slow speeds mostly.. less when switching into higher gears.

It almost sounded like I had a hole in the floor of the car, the sharp scratchy - grinding noise drove me crazy..

I got this car about a month ago, heard the noise initially but I just thought I'll deal with it later, since my new shiny SC400 is one of the last cars ever made of this model.. (july 2000) and I had to travel 800 miles to get to it...

Anyway, browsing around on the forum I saw people mentioning transmission mount, even found the nice DIY thread here to replace it (reasonably priced and fast shipped to Toronto from Sewell, God bless them..), and to my absolute happiness, the noise is GONE. gone gone and gone!

So if you have this noise, first gear sharp scratchy grinding noise, then on higher gears less audible, then do this transmission mount job. It's cheap and fast and it worked wonders on my baby!