Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A "how my clutch feels" question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 07:36 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A "how my clutch feels" question

Hey guys. My clutch feels really....soft. It was last replaced at around 80k and I remember how it felt then when it engaged awesomely. Now it just feels so much more watered down and my shifts are hardly noticeable. Is this just that my clutch is broken in? I miss that tight engaged feel and I'm just curious if what I'm experiencing is normal? Thanks. By the way now I'm at 111,### miles. I do drive the car hard but not like a jack a$$.

Best,
Ashtray

P.S. Since the clutch change at 80k I have done only ONE peg leg burnout and it wasn't even that long like 3 to 5 seconds.
Old 04-09-13, 11:31 PM
SoupFlies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would assume that you are just getting used to driving the clutch specifically. I think everyone subconsciously prefers a smooth shift. It is something I strive for in my daily driving.
I had my clutch replaced recently, and had to get used to using a fresh clutch again.
A clutch getting softer is weird though, as I have only ever experienced it getting more stiff in the 3 different manuals I have owned. Each with an old, and fresh clutch.
Old 04-10-13, 09:20 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Thanks for you reply. I guess I just really learned to drive it specifically as you stated. I prefer the smooth shift but I feel like it engages differently or is slipping? What does a slipping clutch feel like? Sorry if I'm rambling and I just wanna know whats going on. Also in first gear, when it grabs, I'll give it gas and RPMS will go up but the car wont start moving till a few moments later.
Old 04-10-13, 07:15 PM
SoupFlies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you are putting it in first, is the clutch allllllllllll the way out and acting like this? Or is it in the middle.

To test a slipping clutch without getting technical, get into 5th gear at a low speed, and floor the gas. If you see your rpm go up too much how much you acceleration, clutch is starting to go. The "slip" will slowly creep down to lower and lower gears, if you letit go too long. You can eventually be stopped, put car in 3rd or 2nd, drop the clutch, and car wwon't move or die. If your clutch is slipping, simply put, your rpms will jump above what they should be for the speed you are traveling.
Old 04-11-13, 05:34 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Thanks soupflies I guess it's all good.