Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket Climate Control (Popformance LXCC for 92-00 SC/Soarer)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 06:13 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Popformance is only making a couple more so Ive heard so chances are they will be harder to find brand new and will have to get em used. Im hoping they come out with a bada$$ gauge cluster NEXT!
Old 11-06-15, 08:37 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Ouch. I hope that isn't actually the case. These things only just barely arrived.
Old 11-06-15, 11:58 PM
KahnBB6

I spoke to Patrick @ Popformance briefly over email and while not set in stone the rumor is not without some truth. They have only a few of the current units left. I just placed an order for one, fingers crossed.

He did speak of the possibility of another much simpler and less expensive version in the future which would be pretty much climate control only. I got the impression that if he had a significant number of orders he might do another batch of the current ones but to date that hasn't happened after people initially bought these.

I did learn that he has been working on some of the add-on functions. Notably a wideband controller function and boost controller function. Also a "TDCL/OBD2" function.

Impressive stuff.
Old 11-07-15, 08:02 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I have had a lot of email exchanges and talked to Patrick since this unit came out. I had some "infant" issues all that were resolved promptly.

One of the challenges he ran into with this design is being a one man show and having a relatively limited market the parts he was using would dry up and for each patch he sometimes had to use a different component that fit the design. If there were thousands of potential cars that could use this unit it would be a different story.....

I have my OEM controller as a back up (thanks to Tanin for rebuilding it) since complex electronics can have issues over time..... The extra gauges/mods are a big plus but I had never intended to need them.....
Old 12-02-15, 03:33 AM
KahnBB6

^^ It's always good to have a backup unit in the case of something like this. That will be my plan also once the LXCC arrives.

He's had some issues with his suppliers recently (maybe it's the season?) but I think he may have now resolved that for the few units left. From conversations he has a triple backup vendor plan for any of his critical components.

I know he's been investigating the boost controller add-on recently but it's still in the early R&D phase.

One other thing that is coming is an outside temp gauge sensor that connects into one of the gauge input slots. I brought it up to him as a simple complimentary option since many LXCC owners aren't using all those gauge inputs and he liked the idea.

Last he mentioned, if enabled it would probably be programmed to show up on the main screen to the left of the current time. Very simple and good tool for the many SC's that never came with an outside temp sensor/display.

Edit:

I'd like to try to get mine set up to do these for virtual gauges:

-Boost (PSI or BAR)
-EGT
-Engine coolant temp (secondary to factory dash engine temp gauge)
-Volts
-Side Intercooler surface temp (to monitor an IC water spray system I plan to hook up)
-Oil pressure
-Outside temp (not actually a virtual gauge since this will be a main screen function soon)

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-02-15 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-11-16, 07:00 PM
jwynn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where could I get this?

Originally Posted by Duck05
Just back from the installer's and the folks at All Pro Audio in Santa Clara as usual took care to get this in with no hassles. My thanks to Jim Lee, Rob (RJ) Harris, and especially Dar.

Patrick got the link for the manual working just in time as it aided in wading through the setup screens (albeit many will not bother as the flow is pretty painless).

A few pics during the process and final results. Operating it takes a bit to get used to but WAY better than the stock screen. Highly recommended upgrade and the value of the future capabilities that are planned seem too good to pass up.
Hey Duck where'd you get this whole head unit and how much did it cost? Want the same exact thing for mine. Needs to be replaced.
Old 01-11-16, 09:41 PM
Duck05
Racer

Originally Posted by jwynn
Hey Duck where'd you get this whole head unit and how much did it cost? Want the same exact thing for mine. Needs to be replaced.
Answered your PM.
Old 01-15-16, 02:32 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After owning this climate control for a while now I have to say it's been great! I have had zero issues with it.

Great upgrade for those who can get their hands on one.

Old 01-15-16, 02:58 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I've always thought it was really cool looking but MUST be coupled with a touchscreen sat/nav otherwise one or the other looks out of place.
Old 01-15-16, 03:26 PM
KahnBB6

Nice share, FSUsucks1! It looks great. I'm on the fence with you, Kris9884. It does look best paired with a clean touchscreen 2-DIN unit. Personally I've got no interest in changing out my original Pioneer headunit. I just can't find anything as elegant looking short of a used Nakamichi CD-400 or MB-VI (and those are both single-DIN). I like physical buttons and ***** on a stereo and almost no gaudiness.

I just got word from Patrick about mine shipping out this week. Very excited. He also took some extra time out of his schedule to redesign the outside temperature sensor add-on just a few days ago which makes it much more stable and reliable to his liking (in terms of accurate fahrenheit or celsius readings) which we can all see the benefits of soon. That option takes up one of the gauge expansion ports.
Old 01-15-16, 03:28 PM
Duck05
Racer

Totally agree and one of the major motivators for me..... While the old climate controller was not horrible with a DD touch screen, installing this unit makes it feel like a more "modern" interior.

Last time I looked (a few days ago) it appears there are units to be acquired....
Old 01-15-16, 10:11 PM
KahnBB6

^^ To my knowledge there still are but they are very few.
Old 01-16-16, 06:58 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the latest firmware on mine and the calibration of the touchscreen is all off. My left control **** only switches controls to the right so I am unable to have it blow out of just the top due to the calibration being off. To shut it off I have to touch somewhere near the bottom left. I was part of the initial group buy so maybe my unit is defective? Short of paying for shipping both ways and being without a climate unit for that time I guess I have to deal with the quirks.
Old 01-16-16, 10:44 PM
jstrummer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1
After owning this climate control for a while now I have to say it's been great! I have had zero issues with it.

Great upgrade for those who can get their hands on one.

Just curious, but what problem does this solve? It's not very elegant, and in my opinion, not an aesthetic improvement over the stock controls.
Old 01-16-16, 11:26 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jstrummer
Just curious, but what problem does this solve? It's not very elegant, and in my opinion, not an aesthetic improvement over the stock controls.
Each one has their own views on what is elegant or aesthetic.

The stock controls are ok for its time but some others like updated looks. And there are other who like the old one.

In the end it comes it all comes down to personal preference

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Climate Control (Popformance LXCC for 92-00 SC/Soarer)