Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 SC300 Gated Shifter Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 08:22 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 97 SC300 Gated Shifter Wiring

Okay guys, I've had my gated shifter installed for a while now and everything is working great. I finally got a new trac switch so I'm ready to wire it in. The best wiring diagram we have out there is by JesLet and that's what I'm going off of. Here's the problem. The wiring JesLet used is for a SC400 and the wire colors for the trac switch on the 300 is different. According to his diagram the wiring is as follows:

Yellow - Yellow
White/ Green - White/Green
Green/ Orange - Green
Green/ Orange - Red

My colors on the 97 300 side are different. I have the following:

Green/ Orange
Green/ Red
White/ Blue
Yellow/ Black

Now looking at JesLet's wiring I could connect to similar to what he has but if anyone has done the wiring for a 300 I'd like to verify. Here's what I have (pics) First two pics are 97 pigtail that plugged into TRAC switch, other three pics are 98 harness and TRAC switch.

**** Wiring figured out. 97 SC300 ECT wiring as follows below: ****

98 ECT Wiring colors are listed first.

Red/ White Stripe----------Green/ Red Stripe
Yellow-------------------------Yellow/ Black Stripe
Green/ White Stripe-------White/ Blue Stripe
Red----------------------------Green/ Orange Stripe
Green (Not Used)

Thanks,

Shane
Attached Thumbnails 97 SC300 Gated Shifter Wiring-trac-wire.jpg   97 SC300 Gated Shifter Wiring-trac-wire2.jpg   97 SC300 Gated Shifter Wiring-98-harness3.jpg   97 SC300 Gated Shifter Wiring-98-harness.jpg   97 SC300 Gated Shifter Wiring-98-harness2.jpg  

Last edited by SSmith; 03-24-13 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-22-13, 11:11 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have trac on my SC, but I had the same problem with the ECT/PWR cause I wasn't able to label the wires before cutting them from the plug, and the wires had the same exact colors. So I had to test it in the car before hardwiring everything. I was expecting that I'd blow some fuses if I connect different wires together, but I didn't. Must've been lucky, but it wouldn't hurt to blow a few fuses still.
Old 03-22-13, 02:27 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

i wish someone would give a simplified, straightforward account of how this is done , so many people doing this swap not one DIY thread.
Old 03-22-13, 02:46 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

JesLets DIY is as clear as it will get. Followed it, took me a couple of hours, and done. No problems whatsoever.
Old 03-22-13, 03:40 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

cool^^ i think ive seen it but i guess im just not experianced enough to follow it ,,the wiring diagram might as well be in chinese

I still dont have a clear answer as to where the overdrive goes,,,and the trac,,,,,is it possible to dremel in a new hole for the trac buttonn?
Old 03-22-13, 03:49 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Just buy a bezel with the holes for it. You won't understand the wiring until you're actually looking at it, and you gotta look at it one at a time.
Old 03-22-13, 04:50 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
i wish someone would give a simplified, straightforward account of how this is done , so many people doing this swap not one DIY thread.
You have to understand the wiring and you are good. No offense but I think you are just looking for the easiest answer here by asking a step by step, how to pull this how to install that.

I had a hard time doing it at the first place, wiring mess and ****. But with the help of search button of ClubLexus, I am able to puzzle what I needed.

Same as my R154 swap, nobody has step by step DIY, but there are a lot of info out there.
Old 03-22-13, 05:03 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Yellow - Yellow
White/ Green - White/Green
Green/ Orange - Green
Green/ Orange - Red

My colors on the 97 300 side are different. I have the following:

Green/ Orange
Green/ Red
White/ Blue
Yellow/ Black

I don't really know, but I would try this, Simlar colors, but don't blame me,

Green/ Orange................Green
Green/ Red......................Red
White/ Blue....................... White Green
Yellow/ Black..................Yellow
Old 03-22-13, 05:22 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JesLet
You have to understand the wiring and you are good. No offense but I think you are just looking for the easiest answer here by asking a step by step, how to pull this how to install that.

I had a hard time doing it at the first place, wiring mess and ****. But with the help of search button of ClubLexus, I am able to puzzle what I needed.

Same as my R154 swap, nobody has step by step DIY, but there are a lot of info out there.
Thanks and yes i like to see things in their most simplest terms, someone should do a step by step so people dont need to piece bits of info together from multiple sources, and yea so many people swapping trannies and engines and no diy on how to do either , ill never understand that .

anyways ive given up on the gated shifter for now , i have plenty of other things I could be dealing with instead.

Thanks though
Old 03-22-13, 05:34 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Thanks and yes i like to see things in their most simplest terms, someone should do a step by step so people dont need to piece bits of info together from multiple sources, and yea so many people swapping trannies and engines and no diy on how to do either , ill never understand that .

anyways ive given up on the gated shifter for now , i have plenty of other things I could be dealing with instead.

Thanks though
What issues are you having with yours? Maybe I could help.
Old 03-22-13, 06:49 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

What issues are you having with yours? Maybe I could help.
Thanks man thats nice of you , the only issues I have is what to do with the overdrive and trac button.

I know everyone says you wire the overdrive into the shifter itself somehow , but I dont get it , in terms of the wiring and swap im sure my mechanic will be fine especially if i print out your wiring diagrams ,,,,but he doesnt like to figure things out on his own so I have to tell him what to do with the OD exactly.

Also the gated shifter im looking to buy (if its still available) doesnt have the trac button,,,so how do i fix that ? can i just dremel in a new hole ? If so then im sure I can handle that.

Old 03-23-13, 03:43 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Thanks man thats nice of you , the only issues I have is what to do with the overdrive and trac button.

I know everyone says you wire the overdrive into the shifter itself somehow , but I dont get it , in terms of the wiring and swap im sure my mechanic will be fine especially if i print out your wiring diagrams ,,,,but he doesnt like to figure things out on his own so I have to tell him what to do with the OD exactly.

Also the gated shifter im looking to buy (if its still available) doesnt have the trac button,,,so how do i fix that ? can i just dremel in a new hole ? If so then im sure I can handle that.

You wire the OD wires (2 wires[your car]): Grey/red and white black into Green and Red ( gated shifter harness).

Doing it this way you can click OD by switching to gear "4", insinuating a downshift.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1206751066

You can buy a new bezzle looks like this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...b-cimg0214.jpg
Old 03-23-13, 09:10 AM
gunyvw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1willy1 you may first need to purchase your setup and go from there because there are various combinations of shifters and bezels. Once you’ve done that and you don’t have to think in so many abstracts it may be simpler to pattern your wiring setup.

I still don’t know about the vss and 12v but so far no issues I hear that one of them may control whether or not the car can be put into reverse while driving.

All total you will be dealing with about 10 wires or so from the write up and (in my case) leaving out 2. I took a link (wire block) from another car and cut it to the gated then unplugged it and cut the other side to the car. Now I can just unplug the set up if needed.

I personally left my TRAC in place and tucked it under the bezel I have the heated seat and ECT/Snow PWR control that I left unhooked and put the real (or current usable) ECT in a hole hidden beside the handbrake. That’s one peculiar thing the hole… I never noticed it before even thou I’ve SEM’ed the console and so forth but during this install I took use of it. So if you want a clean install there is a place to access at least one thing like your TRAC and so forth. You can just reach in and click it on or off.

the OVERDRIVE is the easiest one of all. The wire runs all the way up the old shifter to the button. snip it but before you do notice JesLet"s write up where it says grey/red on the other side of the link/connector label the solid white wire #6 and label (if necessary the other white/black #1). do this BEFORE you cut the wires and you CANNOT go wrong.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1364054734
Attached Thumbnails 97 SC300 Gated Shifter Wiring-hole.jpg  

Last edited by gunyvw; 03-23-13 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-23-13, 04:48 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

You wire the OD wires (2 wires[your car]): Grey/red and white black into Green and Red ( gated shifter harness).

Doing it this way you can click OD by switching to gear "4", insinuating a downshift.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1206751066

You can buy a new bezzle looks like this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...b-cimg0214.jpg
Originally Posted by gunyvw
1willy1 you may first need to purchase your setup and go from there because there are various combinations of shifters and bezels. Once you’ve done that and you don’t have to think in so many abstracts it may be simpler to pattern your wiring setup.

I still don’t know about the vss and 12v but so far no issues I hear that one of them may control whether or not the car can be put into reverse while driving.

All total you will be dealing with about 10 wires or so from the write up and (in my case) leaving out 2. I took a link (wire block) from another car and cut it to the gated then unplugged it and cut the other side to the car. Now I can just unplug the set up if needed.

I personally left my TRAC in place and tucked it under the bezel I have the heated seat and ECT/Snow PWR control that I left unhooked and put the real (or current usable) ECT in a hole hidden beside the handbrake. That’s one peculiar thing the hole… I never noticed it before even thou I’ve SEM’ed the console and so forth but during this install I took use of it. So if you want a clean install there is a place to access at least one thing like your TRAC and so forth. You can just reach in and click it on or off.

the OVERDRIVE is the easiest one of all. The wire runs all the way up the old shifter to the button. snip it but before you do notice JesLet"s write up where it says grey/red on the other side of the link/connector label the solid white wire #6 and label (if necessary the other white/black #1). do this BEFORE you cut the wires and you CANNOT go wrong.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1364054734
Thanks alot guys,

and yes the D4 is what I need, most of the ones i find are D3.

I think i got everything I need now though, thanks again
Old 03-23-13, 05:09 PM
gunyvw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot guys,

and yes the D4 is what I need, most of the ones i find are D3.

I think i got everything I need now though, thanks again
you seemed to be leaning that way in your previous posts. i almost sold mine after having it nearly 2 years and i literally just installed it in the past weeks.

it took all of an hour maybe 2 with b.s. ing around. the shifter linkage was more pain because i welded it wrong and had to snap it and redo the weld make sure that the finished rod is contoured EXACTLY like the one you take off if you decide to cut it as mine bumped into the tranny at one bend point and wouldn't allow the shifter to move.

Quick Reply: 97 SC300 Gated Shifter Wiring