Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tomei Arms vs 20g build factory turbo

Old 03-13-13, 02:39 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tomei Arms vs 20g build factory turbo

Finally getting close to this point in my build and I've searched it, seems the 20g build by Driftworks is a bit cheaper with the stainless rotor and same capacity for power around 450 as the Tomei Arms setup and I have an extra factory Turbo.

This is for stock 1JZ-GTE that will get headgasket and studs, and possibly cams and a small shot of nitrous in the future, but not trying to break the budget or the 550 mark with spray at the wheels so both work for my goals.

Which would you choose - why and why not?
Old 03-13-13, 08:20 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

I've learned a bit about this Tomei Arms turbo and the associated camshafts. I'm interested myself but it comes down to cost vs hp. I spoke to Pete today at Grip when I brought my car over and while he's aware of the Tomei kit, he also suggested that a GT30R (hope I have that right) with a custom manifold might be better for the same investment.

But that setup will surpass 450hp I believe. The stock turbo with a Driftworks or Driftmotion rebuild to steel wheels is supposed to be only good for perhaps 350-380hp (crank), I believe.

For going above 500hp you may want to look into something above what the Tomei kit's ceiling offers.

Going above 500hp seems to be expensive in the 1JZ VVT-i but this is also true of going farther than 500-600hp in the 2JZ-GTE USDM engines.

Personally when I get my VVT swap installed I'll decide on either steel blading the factory turbo or spending the money on the Tomei kit with cams. It will come down to how the power feels, I guess but over 450-500hp is probably all I'll want, personally.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-13-13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-14-13, 05:52 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Nice, currently on the setup with the stock turbo at 16psi it put down 387 rwhp per previous owner, I think he said that was on the water meth setup that is in the car but not setup.

I did Not know the Driftworks/driftmotion was rated so low with that upgrade. Hard to find anyone running it, and I would Prefer a louder turbo for when I'm spooling, but it would be a while before I could do that upgrade, plan was 450 hp plus 75 shot - then switch the tranny to built R-154 as I can't stand the Auto.

i mean this is the funnest car I have ever driven, and once I get it tagged I will go by Grip and let them see how far it's came since Mike had it - but hearing that low on power for Driftworks 20g impeller change kind of lets me down. I like the stainless option as my ceramic is getting up there in the miles so it does worry me, but it's still pulling hard.

Custom manifold - custom tuning/EMS for the bigger turbo triples the money i was looking to spend short term wise.

Not ot mention HG and Studs at the same time...

Hmmm

Thanks for the input - and your local? I'm in Melbourne.
Old 03-14-13, 07:40 PM
KahnBB6

I stand corrected. The Driftmotion ct15b rebuild is good for 450hp.

I am in Melbourne also. Probably not far from you. I'll reply further in a bit.
Old 03-15-13, 04:51 PM
KahnBB6

Bahndrvr,

I was curious to know what you thought of the automatic against that engine, given the low end torque. I personally don't prefer autos myself. I just looked for a 5-speed car when I was in Cali and found this one. I've been working on it since but avoided the engine until now due to the emission rules there. Now it's not a problem, lol.

I'm on the stock W58 so I'll need an R154 with my motorset or converted tranny also but I'm very set on switching to the 1JZ VVT engine specifically.
Old 03-18-13, 05:21 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

I will be converting to R-154 in the near future, but the Auto does pretty good, only ocmplain I had is the 16degree timing cut between shifts...

It will get up and go - I will have it tagged and at the Track SOON, well 3 weeks from now as I have to leave the area again for Reserve dtuy. But once back you can take it for a spin and feel the 16psi on the stock turbo and even at that level the ignition cut for gear changes is very well felt. I ordered up a HKS SSQ BOV last night as if you have been paying attention to the build thread, that's my Son's only request LOL.

With my power goals I'm wanting the tranny would last as it's an import tranny - hwoever i have another full auto with torque converter and everyting sitting on my garage floor I'll be looking ot sell soon. So if your interested let me know, I'l go 154 hopefully after this season so in the winter next year unless I get a wild hair or someone wants to trade my two perfectly working Auto's for a R154.

One thing to note is when Grip did this it ws a big deal as it will hold gears now - ie for drifting - if I start in 2 it will accelerate 1-2 then hold two so I can kick the rear end out and hold it... It works, and may very well be faster in the 1/4 now then once i do the tranny swap, but I"m just a manual guy - and I will be autocrossing and road racing this so I need/want the extra control of the 5/6 speed. If by the time I'm ready to do the purchase the Adapter items are worked out fo the Nissan 350z setup for the 1JZ, I may just go that route over r154.
Old 03-19-13, 07:20 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Currently running a non vvti 1J and know toying with the idea of replacing it with a 1J VVTI.. I personally would stick with the stock turbo and rebuild it with DM.. that 450 sounds pretty nice and right along the lines I am planning on pushing.

The powerband is what gets me... apparently these fall a bit flat at the higher rpm, but with cams, i feel pretty confident that could be changed..

i am looking at one locally without the turbo parts, no turbo, no mani, no intake etc.. hard as hell to find these parts without having to buy an entire motor.. lol