Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 lexus sc 400 will not crank over. HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 06:08 PM
bhaloha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 lexus sc 400 will not crank over. HELP.

My Lexus SC 400 will not crank over. I installed a new battery and drove the vehicle for 2 weeks. One day I went out to start the car and there was a ticking noise from the engine. I jump started the vehicle, and drove it around for 25 minutes. While driving the radio would fade in and out and was muffled at times. Before I shut down the vehicle I removed the positive connector of the battery and the vehicle kept on running. I am worried that this problem is the Starter, which I understand is buried with in the vehicle. Does any one have any other suggestions before I go digging in to the vehicle to find the starter. Thank you.
Old 03-11-13, 06:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Please use the engine forum. Moved.
Old 03-11-13, 07:37 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bhaloha
My Lexus SC 400 will not crank over. I installed a new battery and drove the vehicle for 2 weeks. One day I went out to start the car and there was a ticking noise from the engine. I jump started the vehicle, and drove it around for 25 minutes. While driving the radio would fade in and out and was muffled at times. Before I shut down the vehicle I removed the positive connector of the battery and the vehicle kept on running. I am worried that this problem is the Starter, which I understand is buried with in the vehicle. Does any one have any other suggestions before I go digging in to the vehicle to find the starter. Thank you.
I am far from an expert but I just had the same dilemma.

I thought my clicks were my starter but thankfully it was just a weak battery. If you jumped it, the starter worked. Don't flip out just yet.
Ultimately it was my alternator. I was told never to pull the neg terminal on a modern vehicle while its running. Get a multimeter or the like and test the battery/alternator. That is perhaps your problem. A bad alt can kill a new battery in no time.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 03-11-13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 07:59 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I hated the fact that I knew so little about the electrical system and that it assisted in stranding me in every car I have owned most likely.
First I got
<b><u>THIS</u></b> THIS
Mega Jump starter for the trunk because a shop told me the battery and alternator was good.
I also got
<b><u>THIS</u></b> THIS
Battery and Charging System Monitor to monitor the system and learn about it.
From the readings on that device I learned my alternator was bad.
I replaced it then got
<b><u>THIS</u></b> THIS
dash mounted volt meter to stay on top of what my electrical system is up to at all times.
The info i got from using the meters led me to buy me buy
THIS THIS
cheapie multimeter to further my education (slowly).
They are really helping me stay on top of things now. It was a POSITIVE over reaction.......
Good Luck!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 03-11-13 at 08:20 PM.