Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Take a look at my frayed timing belt.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 07:51 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jwin
If you recently changed your crank pulley and use a pry back to pry it off you could have bent the washer and that could have hit your timing belt and chewed it up. Talking from previous experience.
I have recently changed my crank pulley, I used a crank pulley puller to take it off, but I think the culprit could have been the pulley holder tool which uses two bolts that screw into the pulley to hold it in place..they may have been screwed in too tight since I noticed that they penetrated the lower timing belt plastic cover.

I will tear it apart today and see what the culprit was. I will be back with results.
Old 03-09-13, 10:59 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Found the culprit.

Just as I thought. When I last changed my crank pulley, I used a crank pulley holder tool made by SP Tools #64300. I highly recommend buying this product, but do not use the supplied bolts as they are too long and will penetrate the timing belt cover and bend the timing belt guide. Get shorter bolts.

I have already ordered the timing belt guide which is part # 13566-46010. Only costs about $5.

Below you will see a picture showing the bent timing belt guide which resulted in rubbing against the timing belt.
Attached Thumbnails Take a look at my frayed timing belt.-timing-belt2.jpg   Take a look at my frayed timing belt.-timing-belt-cover.jpg  
Old 03-30-13, 04:07 PM
LXtiming
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had a timing belt break on my 2001 Lx470 WITH 174,000 miles. I had changed the belt at 100,000 miles, so this second belt only lasted a little over 74,000. Everything I read on the internet, led me to believe that because the 4.7 litre engine is an "interference" engine, it would be toast, i.e., bent valves, holes in pistons, etc. This is not necessarily true. I had the vehicle towed to my mechanic, he put a new timing belt on, and it started right up. He installed the timing belt kit (water pump, pulleys, seals, etc.) and it is running great. In fact, it is running better than ever! There is no way to actually "inspect" a timing belt for wear. The rule of thumb is to replace as preventive maintenance every 80-100K miles. But, as stated above, mine went out at just under 75K miles. I know I was extremely lucky that there was absolutely no engine damage. But, don't believe those who say that a timing belt failure will absolutely result in engine damage. It is possible that no damage at all will result. Don't give up. If your timing belt fails, there is still hope. Personal experience and not "hearsay."
Old 03-30-13, 05:00 PM
2jpowa
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info here about the crank pulley! Glad you figured out what it was and got it straighted out