Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 rear diff ?lsd

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 12:04 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway
Bumping since google led me here lol! What would be the best setup for a JDM 2jzgte to original w58? IE: 1995 sc300 5spd

Thanks
Most will tell you that you'd want an entire Supra TT Auto LSD rear end with the 3.769 ratio. Personally I will be rebuilding my TT Auto LSD rear with an SC400 3.916 (aka "3.92") ratio.

Either 3.769 or 3.916 should suit you well. Less than 3.769 isn't good for 5-speed transmissions. You could technically stay with the 4.083 ratio that is in your car already and buy a TRD 2-way LSD for that but it's a toss-up as to whether or not that will feel too short on your setup or not.

From my research, 4.083 is only beneficial for 1JZ stock/BPU cars (since it's a stock ratio for ALL Soarer 1JZ 5-speeds). 2JZGTE's don't rev as high, and they have more displacement and power at lower RPM.
Old 12-02-13, 04:11 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just spend the grand on a kaaz 2 way and use their oil, its really not loud or a pain to drive for a daily driver, I've driven some friends cars its not bad.

The asking prices for 15-20 year old used LSD's are outrageous.
Old 12-02-13, 08:53 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm lucky enough to have the TT 3.76 LSD in my '99 sc400, it's one of my favorite mods done to the car. It really brings the car to life and gets rid of the 'old man luxury' feel SC's have when stock. It does hurt a bit on gas though, but that's more probably a result of my Right foot having fun
Old 01-01-14, 04:55 AM
cibao2jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks every body
Old 01-03-14, 09:30 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Did any sc's come stock with a LSD? I tried the floor at trick in my stock 93 sc300 and it repeatedly flung both the left and the right floormats(I guess rubber doesn't help traction)
Old 03-16-15, 01:16 PM
victorhugo
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried welding there differential ? Stuck with the 1leg tryna hit donuts n slide for a daily how good would it be if I did weld it? I have a 92 sc300 5 speed
Old 03-17-15, 06:32 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not good for a daily chews up your tires quick
Old 03-17-15, 06:40 PM
KahnBB6

^^ Welding is not recommended. You can do it but don't expect it to be anywhere near the same level of quality, drivability or longevity as any non-welded open differential or any LSD be it a Torsen or clutch-type.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-03-15 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 07-02-15, 10:58 AM
hungryguy
Driver School Candidate

Bump.

Im also looking to buy an LSD in the near future. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-03-15, 06:40 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to note for the OP, the factory / stock GS400 differential did NOT have an LSD. It seemed that people were suggesting the use of one in the SC but did not mention that you still need to swap the gears. What they are saying is that the 'pumpkin' or body will fit. I think there were TRD gears sold separately, but these were likely Supra parts. I'm not sure.

Do not weld, they eventually break after hard use or poor welds, may start to make noise, and wear out tires.
Old 12-26-15, 03:39 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

This probably has been discussed several times. And, I do apologize in advance but I'm curious and want to be educated. How come the earlier model Supra(MK3) LSDs wont work on the SC? If the pumpkin wont fit, has anyone tried swapping the internals? The auto TT diffs are so hard to come across these days, if they are available the prices are ridiculously high. Whereas the mk3 diffs, they are a dime a dozen and can be purchased pretty much anywhere for a reasonable price.
Old 12-28-15, 10:29 AM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 6SOARER
This probably has been discussed several times. And, I do apologize in advance but I'm curious and want to be educated. How come the earlier model Supra(MK3) LSDs wont work on the SC? If the pumpkin wont fit, has anyone tried swapping the internals? The auto TT diffs are so hard to come across these days, if they are available the prices are ridiculously high. Whereas the mk3 diffs, they are a dime a dozen and can be purchased pretty much anywhere for a reasonable price.
the furthest endeavour that went into this years ago

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...to-a-sc-3.html
Old 12-29-15, 12:10 AM
KahnBB6

^^ Yes. A LOT of effort and work went into that experiment.

6SOARER, the MKIII Supra / Cressida / IS300 / Old IS250 / FR-S / BRZ all use a pretty similar rear differential design which are all identical internally. The axles probably vary between all those models but all of them use the same thing in the rear and can interchange if desired.

SC's don't have such luck. It's an entirely different design that is only shared by the SC300-SC400 / Soarer / MKIV Supra NA & TT AUTO / GS300-GS400 / Toyota Aristo / SC430. Though the companion flanges differ between some models and there are extremely minor axle length differences between some models. But they all basically use the same 200mm diff.

Of those, the only ones that got *factory* Torsen LSD options on some trim levels were the Soarer, MKIV Supra (USDM and JDM) and factory 2JZGTE Aristos.

Still, the upside is that the SC/Soarer/MKIV/GS/Aristo/SC430 diffs are all very, very strong regardless of what kind of diff is in there The MKIII LSDs were often clutch types until late in the production cycle around perhaps 1990. Their early original factory clutch pack LSDs eventually need service and usually benefit from an upgrade to a stronger aftermarket clutch-pack LSD. Not sure how well the early Torsens for the MKIII's hold up versus the later IS300 and FR-S/BRZ Torsens. Not that any of that matters when it comes to SC's...

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-29-15 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Edited to include the SC430 differentials
Old 12-29-15, 11:41 AM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ Yes. A LOT of effort and work went into that experiment.

6SOARER, the MKIII Supra / Cressida / IS300 / Old IS250 / FR-S / BRZ all use a pretty similar rear differential design which are all identical internally. The axles probably vary between all those models but all of them use the same thing in the rear and can interchange if desired.

SC's don't have such luck. It's an entirely different design that is only shared by the SC300-SC400 / Soarer / MKIV Supra NA & TT AUTO / GS300-GS400 / Toyota Aristo. Though the companion flanges differ between some models and there are extremely minor axle length differences between some models. But they all basically use the same 200mm diff.

Of those, the only ones that got *factory* Torsen LSD options on some trim levels were the Soarer, MKIV Supra (USDM and JDM) and factory 2JZGTE Aristos.

Still, the upside is that the SC/Soarer/MKIV/GS/Aristo diffs are all very, very strong regardless of what kind of diff is in there The MKIII LSDs were often clutch types until late in the production cycle around perhaps 1990. Their early original factory clutch pack LSDs eventually need service and usually benefit from an upgrade to a stronger aftermarket clutch-pack LSD. Not sure how well the early Torsens for the MKIII's hold up versus the later IS300 and FR-S/BRZ Torsens. Not that any of that matters when it comes to SC's...
where do the SC430 and GS430 sit in all this ?
Old 12-29-15, 12:21 PM
KahnBB6

^^ Apologies. I forgot about the SC430. To my knowledge, the those diffs also swap with the MKIV and SC.

I am not certain one way or the other about the GS430 having the same differential. Perhaps someone can confirm yea or nay?

Quick Reply: sc300 rear diff ?lsd