Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel level sensor affecting performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 11:29 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel level sensor affecting performance

I had a problem where my gas gauge wasnt reading my gas correctly and I thought it was the cluster. I never really had the time to check anything.

Anyway, while keeping track of gas through the mileage, I figured there is noway in hell I could have covered that distance without running out of gas soon. Light didnt turn on or anything, I filled up and checked the fuel sensor and sure enough the tab was broken and it was unplugged.

The issue is, after plugging the sender back in, the car performance sucked. It was really smooth when it was unplugged in terms or throttle and acceleration. I unplugged it again and it became smooth again, plugged it back in and there was that hesitation or pull back if you will.

Of course the difference isnt HUGE since I know my TPS needs adjustment/replacement, but it did make a difference nonetheless. I am wondering what is the relation between performance and fuel level sensor? Would it have something to do with the the low mpg I'm running (about 13-14/18 city/highway)? It just doesnt make any sense.

Any ideas?