Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

powersteering pump or rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 07:43 PM
jdub20tx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powersteering pump or rack and pinion

I just have a simple question need a simple answer. How can you tell if it a powersteering pump or rack and pinion problem? My steering is very difficult when the fluid is low it has a very loud whining and the steering is very difficult so I top it off with fluid in this steering is still very difficult although the whining stops. the flu it last about a month or so.
Old 02-12-13, 07:55 PM
Qu0Cie
Driver

Sounds like your PS pump is going out.
Old 02-12-13, 08:27 PM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'd start with the pump. You would probably be able to find a cheap one in the classifieds.
Old 03-28-13, 01:07 PM
geogolf
Driver School Candidate

Default pump

make that a third for pump
Old 03-28-13, 01:08 PM
geogolf
Driver School Candidate

Default pump

could be the belt
Old 03-28-13, 03:55 PM
jdub20tx
Rookie

What about the powetsteering module? Hmmmmm
Old 03-28-13, 04:21 PM
jdub20tx
Rookie

What about the powetsteering module? Hmmmmm
Old 03-28-13, 05:38 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered a pump from RockAuto for $179....you get $75 back after sending the core so it's not too bad. I also grabbed a Power Steering Filter as well. I'd recommend you do the same as there was a thread on here where one guy replaced pump, lines, rack and pinion, and his whining noise all stemmed form his power steering filter being shot.....a $15 fix turned into a $800 fix...
Old 03-28-13, 07:17 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It could be the entire system considering the cars' age. But here's a quick guide;

Power Steering Pump - loud whining or screeching sound when there's loss of power steering fluid or air in the system. And the obvious, is if there are leaks.

Power Steering High Pressure Hose - try squeezing the rubber hoses, if they're hard like plastic bend it a little usually you'll see small cracks where the PS fluid kinda leaks. And the part where it becomes a metal hose.

Rack and Pinion - there's no other way to check for leaks but to move the boot on the inner tie rod to the side to see the inside, and if there's PS fluid in there then the seals are shot.

Bleeding the System - usually people bleed the system while the car is on the ground which is a big mistake. You need to bleed the system while the front end is lifted or front tires is off the ground, and keep spinning the steering wheel lock to lock until the whining stops.

And yeah couldn't be the belt cause we have a serpentine belt, if so we wouldn't have alternator or water pump and a/c either.
Old 03-28-13, 08:21 PM
inkredible
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
It could be the entire system considering the cars' age. But here's a quick guide;

Power Steering Pump - loud whining or screeching sound when there's loss of power steering fluid or air in the system. And the obvious, is if there are leaks.

Power Steering High Pressure Hose - try squeezing the rubber hoses, if they're hard like plastic bend it a little usually you'll see small cracks where the PS fluid kinda leaks. And the part where it becomes a metal hose.

Rack and Pinion - there's no other way to check for leaks but to move the boot on the inner tie rod to the side to see the inside, and if there's PS fluid in there then the seals are shot.

Bleeding the System - usually people bleed the system while the car is on the ground which is a big mistake. You need to bleed the system while the front end is lifted or front tires is off the ground, and keep spinning the steering wheel lock to lock until the whining stops.

And yeah couldn't be the belt cause we have a serpentine belt, if so we wouldn't have alternator or water pump and a/c either.
Nailed it.

On our cars the high pressure hose and pumps are known to leak. In your case it sounds like the pump is the main culprit, but the high pressure hose may be leaking also.

I first replaced my high pressure hose. A few months later the pump was leaking. A few months later the high pressure gaskets were leaking.

If I were you I would just replace the pump, high pressure, and return hose all at once to save yourself a headache.
Old 04-01-13, 06:59 AM
jdub20tx
Rookie

I sure appreciate it it is this is the best help I've gotten guys. I could have sworn that there was a common fix that was in the forums that you could do for really cheap to keep the pump from leaking on the alternator do you guys remember what that was I think it was a Seal or something