Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

General Motor Swap Related Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 06:29 AM
Medic91x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Motor Swap Related Questions

I've already read some interesting threads from Supra Forums and Club Lexus related to my questions, I just want to make sure I don't create any costly mistakes.

I currently have a cherry Aristo 2JZ block and R154 sitting in my garage taking up space. It was previously being using in a 91 MA70 chassis, that's now heavily damaged. I have almost 99% of what I need to swap it into another MA70 chassis, but I last motivation last year. Mostly because I already have a 100% perfectly running 1JZ 1990 MA70, that's already on a mid-size single. The idea is that money would be better spent making improvements on the on 1990 rather than having two mediocre cars. I'm actually trying to part the 2JZ swap, but no one is interested at the moment.

So enter my 95 SC300, that I've only had since September. I love the car, and I'll probably keep it in my stable for a least a few years. I wish I had considered them sooner, because of how clean and low clean they can be. I'm almost out of my MR2, WRX, and Supra phase.

It'd be interesting to have the SC300 as 300-350whp daily driver, especially since I know longer have my 09 WRX. Ideally, I just have BPU mods, a somewhat quiet exhaust, DP, BCC, AEM wideband & Truboost, TT pump, on a stock Aristo ECU. Maybe running right around 1 bar. Eventually, after the twins blow out I'd do a 60-1 single conversation and run low boost from that, probably with some additional supporting mods.

I have the funds to do a AEM standalone PNP, and set of larger high-impedance injectors. I could probably shoot for 450whp Dyno Jet, but It just doesn't interest me.

Only way, I'd consider doing a Aristo swap is if I could retain my A/C, ABS, power-steering, and maybe cruise control (not a deal breaker).

So here's what I currently have (I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting)
-Complete Aristo motor w/ rearsump (fresh waterpump, timing belt)
-R154 w/ JZ bell housing
-A70 Drive shaft
-3 inch DP
-TT Denso Pump
-Gauges
-MKIV mounts

I could use recommendations on wiring harness. I have the existing Aristo which has been altered with MA70 body-plugs and wasn't lengthened properly, and a virgin SC harness. I'd really like to get a Dr. Tweak Harness. I think it'll help with resell value, and wiring is my biggest weakest at the moment. So question one, is this the best solution? Bear in mind, I'll have a short suspense date.

I also saw different threads on the DS, I just want to confirm. I have a factory 5spd W58 already. I am to understand the rear half- will mate with a front half MA70 DS. I just need to know what works since I'll be short on time

My last major question is related to the shifter, I know relatively little about the SC300 shifter, but I remember that it won't work with a MA70 shifter. What's the best recourse to address this problem? I just want to simplest method cleanest method, even if it cost more. Should I could consider a short-shift will I'm at it?

Lastly, is there any other concerns or advice related to retaining the factory systems, namely A/C? The A/C compressor was already deleted from my Aristo block, but I have great working A/C on my SC. I also have a spare compressor from my 1JZ if need be. I'm also not for knowledgeable about A/C because it's never been a priority until last year.

To sum it up, I already like my DD the way it is, but I already have a motor lying around. My four main quettions are
-Best harness solution
-DriveShaft
-Shifter extension
-A/C

Thanks in advance. For the record, I did search and found some really good info last night. I just don't have much room for error. I'd also hate to ruin a semi-clean SC.
Old 02-05-13, 07:07 AM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

-Best harness solution would be to get one from tweak'dperformance http://www.tweakdperformance.com/onl...products_id=16
- Yes you would need the rear half of the manual sc300 and the front half of a TURBO MKIII drive shaft in order to run the R-154
-The shifter housing on the tranny needs to be extended about 3.5 inches( correct me if I'm wrong) if you're gonna run the MKIII R-154 and you can use the stock MKIII shifter or a 92-93 SC300 shifter. http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...onmk4sc300.php
-A/C I'm not so sure on
Hope this helps some.

Last edited by jjffyy; 02-05-13 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-05-13, 11:43 AM
Medic91x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjffyy
-Best harness solution would be to get one from tweak'dperformance http://www.tweakdperformance.com/onl...products_id=16
- Yes you would need the rear half of the manual sc300 and the front half of a TURBO MKIII drive shaft in order to run the R-154
-The shifter housing on the tranny needs to be extended about 3.5 inches( correct me if I'm wrong) if you're gonna run the MKIII R-154 and you can use the stock MKIII shifter or a 92-93 SC300 shifter. http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...onmk4sc300.php
-A/C I'm not so sure on
Hope this helps some.
Thanks for heads up on the DM shifter extension. I may have to comparison shop though, $250 before shipping is a little steep. Oh well. I'll guess I'll stick with the MKIII shifter if my SC shifter won't work. So there's a difference between the 92-93 and the 95?

Last edited by Medic91x; 02-05-13 at 04:55 PM.