Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with supercharging my SC400

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 12:11 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Fmic

This came in the mail today:

Bar & plate design
69cm Wide
23cm High
6.5cm Thick
2.5" Pipe Inlets/Outlets
Old 03-23-13, 02:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by mickesanda
Would this be a better setup ?

I believe Ryan(SC400TT) did it like this.
/Mike
Yes that is basically how to do it, except there is no pcv valve on the orange line, that would be bad.
The PCV only allows the smallest bit of air to flow through, its designed to burn crank case vapors not vent the whole system.
Venting the system is the other sides job with no pcv valve, that is why on every toyota you will only find the pcv on one side.

So when the pcv is letting CC vapors into the intake in cruise, fresh air comes in the passenger side to replace the vapors.
As soon as you hit boost, the PCV closes, and the much larger amount of crank case pressure that comes past the pitsons and oil pump escapes out the passenger side.
So basically its a 2 way system. you cannot run a pcv on both sides as that would be bad, but you can get rid of the pcv and vent both sides if needed but you probably don't unless the engine is worn and showing serious signs of blowby. If your can fills up really really fast, then you may have to do that.

In summary, the Orange line just goes from the catch can to the intake pipe that goes into the supercharger. no pcv.
also since I don't see a supercharger on there remember to never connect the orange line to the inter-cooler piping that goes into the throttle body, it has to be before the supercharger or it will be constantly pressurized and you will blow seals at the least.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-23-13 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 02:06 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Yes that is basically how to do it, except there is no pcv valve on the orange line, that would be bad.
The Orange line just goes from the catch can to the intake pipe that goes into the supercharger.

never connect the orange line to the inter-cooler piping that goes into the throttle body, it has to be before the supercharger or it will be constantly pressurized.
Only stating this because there is no supercharger in the picture and I don't want you to pressurize your crank case and blow out your seals.
Thanx for the info, just a quick follow up. Any suggestions on where exactly i could connect the orange line? From your recommendation i understand that the stock position, under the TB is bad because it would be pressurized when boosting.
This is how i pictured the Vortech supercharger:

/Mike

Last edited by mickesanda; 03-23-13 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 01:01 AM
mickesanda
Driver

Question Bov

What is the difference between bypass-valve and BOV?
What do i need for my supercharger application ?

Found this on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-TYPE-H-RFL-BOV-Blow-off-2-5-SS-Adapter-pipe-XS-/390563548239?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5aef66cc4f
Do i need a boost controller? http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=165

Please come with suggestions.
/Mike

Last edited by mickesanda; 03-24-13 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-29-13, 03:11 PM
SCary400
Driver

They are the same thing, only a blow off valve vents air to the atmosphere when the throttle closes under boost and a bypass valve recirculates the air within the intake system. You don't need either.

A boost controller is a maybe and depends on the turbocharger/wastegate combination you are using. You can get by with the stock spring in the wastegate you will use, boost controllers increase boost. So if you want to run more you'll need one.
Old 03-29-13, 09:33 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by SCary400
A boost controller is a maybe and depends on the turbocharger/wastegate combination you are using. You can get by with the stock spring in the wastegate you will use, boost controllers increase boost. So if you want to run more you'll need one.
Hy SCary, now it's gotten even more confusing... The title of this thread is a bit wrong cause i changed my mind after initially wanting to use a turbo and i switched to a centrifugal supercharger.

Last edited by mickesanda; 03-29-13 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-02-13, 08:22 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

You do not need a boost controller, because that is for turbo's with wastegates to increase boost.
you do not have a wastegate, on a supercharger like yours, the boost created is controlled by the size of the pulley.

you can and should run a bypass valve or blow off valve, this lets the boost have someplace to go when you are idling or let off the throttle quickly, if you run a blow off this gets vented to air, if you have a bypass it gets rerouted back in front of the supercharger into the intake pipe. Since this air has already been cooled if your valve is after the intercooler, some people don't like to wasted that air and would recirculate it, or have to because of the stock maf (it doesnt like it when air just dissapears out of the system).

If you have the stock ecu and maf, you have to recirculate to keep things running right.
The maf should go on the intake pipe I drew in the picture below inbetween the supercharger and the intake filter you will put at that end of the pipe.
Putting the maf in the intercooler piping can work but is not a good idea.
If you recirculate, the line from the bypass valve will come to this same pipe between the maf and the supercharger (it has to be after the maf).

If you have a map sensor based ecu, then you can just use a blow off valve and not worry about that stuff and you get the better bov sound.
In that case replace the bypass with a bov and ignore the green line going to the intake pipe, it will not be there with a bov.

here is how the catch can should be routed.
Attached Thumbnails Help with supercharging my SC400-pcv4.jpg  

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-02-13 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-02-13, 08:32 AM
mickesanda
Driver

Talking Catch-can and BOV

Thank you Ali Sc3 for the info. I understand now how it should be done.
Should the catch-can be vented with a breather?

Some more updates: I ordered a pair of OBX-headers, and before you start commenting, i am willing to give them a shot for 350$.
I got all the piping for the intercooler, the 70mm battery cable so i can move the battery, plenty of stuff so i can begin some work.

I would very much like a wiring diagram for the F-IC8 if some of you guys have it, i found a local company that works with AEM products.
Cheers,
/Mike
Old 04-02-13, 08:42 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

no problem, I updated the picture I did not like the old one with the maf in the intercooler piping.
now you will know when we say intake pipe, we mean the one in front of the supercharger.
when we say intercooler piping, thats all the stuff after the supercharger and before the throttle body.
The above diagram is correct now and should give you the best running setup if done right.

The catch can does not need to be vented with a breather if you are connecting it to the intake pipe via the orange line.
what some people do is remove the orange line and leave a breather on the can, that is an alternative option.

the aem fic8 would help you with engine management if you can get it running and wired up. I dont have the wiring or experience with them but they are supossed to be good units.
If you do run that it will probably run off of a map sensor, which means you can run a blow off valve if you like, and then everything is the same except you do not run the green line from the valve to the intake pipe.
that air just gets vented out of the system right at the bov.
Old 04-04-13, 12:17 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Talking Updates

Hi guys,
I changed the fuel pump today, got a little help from a friend, but did most of the work myself, this is the pump, 340 l/h:

I got so excited that i'm actually doing something related to the supercharger project that i completely forgot to take pictures. Sorry 'bout that.
While i still had the backseat out of the car i did the FUEL-ECU mod and it worked flawlessly.
I had the problem with warm starts that we all know and it was pretty annoying.
Well it's all gone now!

I also got my POD-filter today, this what it looks like:

I won't forget to "picture-document" next time.
/Mike

Last edited by mickesanda; 04-04-13 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 12:41 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're following in good foot steps by going with KC's build. It's the best bang for your buck build for the 1UZ. One day I plan to do this. Keep us updated should be pretty awesome
Old 04-08-13, 05:49 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't read when you asked for FIC-8 diagrams. I have them, later I'll send you
Old 04-08-13, 05:53 AM
mickesanda
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
I didn't read when you asked for FIC-8 diagrams. I have them, later I'll send you
muchas gracias Martin
Old 04-10-13, 01:03 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Wink Mockup

Still waiting for some parts

Does anybody know what size is the OD of the TB ? also the OD of the MAF?
Just too lazy to unscrew the intake pipe and measure
Old 04-10-13, 01:14 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Red face OBD I to OBD II adapter

I bought this one from China, dunno if it's any good, haven't had a chance to test it yet.
I don't have any high hopes, however the spec. was: Toyota OBD I to OBD II adapter.
For a few bucks i reckoned it was worth a try.

/mike

Quick Reply: Help with supercharging my SC400