Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Single Turbo - Throttle Hiccups & Hard Starts

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 10:23 AM
SkyySC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ Single Turbo - Throttle Hiccups & Hard Starts

Hello!

Over the past couple months my car has been experiencing some odd problems. These problems started slow, but have increased in regularity over the past month or so.

I believe both of these problems are linked to a single factor, but Im unsure.

Problem A: THrottle Hiccups
-This problem orginally occured in the fall on my way to Import Alliance in Nashville. I was driving there late around 2 AM to meet up with my buddies. Throughout the trip, when the car was in 5th gear...it would begin to have an ever so slight throttle hiccup. In which case it feels as if you would slightly lift your foot off the throtle and then re-apply it it instantly. At low to moderate throttle the car is usually reading between 14.1-15.1 Air Fuel. When the hiccups would occur it would then drop to around 12(?) or so , I can't remeber.

-The problem now happens rather randomly. And it any gear it can happen, and slightly more violently. If im letting off the clutch in first, the throttle will sometimes cut. If I try to give it a little gas in third or fourth, the throttle will cut multiple times in succesion to the last.

Problem B: Hard Starts
-This problem has also gotten increasingly more dramatic. Orginally I'd have to sometimes crank the car 2-3 times before it would finally turn over and start for me. ANd it didn't hapen very often.

-Now, with it being winter, I feel it has gotten worse. On a cold start, it can take me up to 6-7 for the car to finally turn over and start. When it does, the idle is rather rough. It will surge to about 1700 RPM...then instantly drop to around 300 RPM. Sometimes it will even stall itself. That being said, once it surges like that for about 3 times and gets warmed up, it idles perfectly fine, right around 1300 RPM or so. While idling I can hear slight pops, as if the the throttle is slightly being removed and applied. Usually after the intial starting, if I turn the car off and start it, it will start rright up on the first crank. Sometimes however, it will take me 2-3 times...it really depends on how she;s feeling that day?!

//In addition: When trhe car is cranked over for the first time and is experiencing idle surge, if I give it gas it will sputter and often stall itself

Now, My first guess would normally be a Mass Air Flow sensor (in our case a MAP ) , but Im really just wanting to get other peoples opinion or experiences. I can include more infor related to themotor or setup if needed as well.

Thank you!

Last edited by SkyySC; 02-01-13 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 10:54 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Problem A could be loose throttle cable. I'd check up on that thing to see if it is tight.
Problem B does sound like the MAF, though, in your case it will be either an AFM or MAF, not MAP. If your car is indeed an SC that is. No CEL?
Old 02-01-13, 11:48 AM
SkyySC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Problem A could be loose throttle cable. I'd check up on that thing to see if it is tight.
Problem B does sound like the MAF, though, in your case it will be either an AFM or MAF, not MAP. If your car is indeed an SC that is. No CEL?
Indeed, I'll be sure to check that.

The car is an sc400. It has a custom dash cluster, so I can't see if there are any cel's. Its a non-vvti 1j
Old 02-01-13, 09:44 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Its a 1jz so its a map sensor.

My first guess would be the ecu has leaking or bad fuel caps.IMO
GL.
Old 02-02-13, 07:46 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

So i'm not understanding something here...all the 1jz or V8's have an MAP? Cuz my SC4 is a 1jz and has an MAF. Just want to know...
Old 02-02-13, 08:10 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For 1jzs, the non-vvti ones were MAP based. I believe the VVTi ones may have been MAF.
Old 02-02-13, 08:28 AM
SkyySC
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I'm pretty sure its mad based.

Would that cause any problems similar to what I'm experiencing though?