Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car failing to start after Idle Control Unit replacement. [Video Inside]

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 05:23 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car failing to start after Idle Control Unit replacement. [Video Inside]

Hello,

I just replaced the Idle Control Unit on my '99 SC300 today (the one located right in front of the Y pipe). Was a pretty seamless install and not hard at all. I was just driving the car fine last night for NYE and it was running normal as always.

After the replacement, the car is failing to start. We turn the ignition and it fires up, revs on its on and then instantly dies. I thought something is wrong with the new Idle Control Unit so I reput the old one in and the same problem occurs.

Any advice and help is appreciated.

Edit: When the car starts, I try to give it some gas but it's not responding at all. Also, when you first put the key in the ignition and turn it to right before starting it, I can hear clicking noises within the engine bay like some type of electrical signals are going through. Very odd clicking noises that I have never heard before. Did I blow a fuse?

Edit #2: ignition, st, and engine fuse all look good (these are the ones found under the driver side left panel...under steering wheel). All fuses in main engine bay box are good. I guess next option is just run diagnostics on it and figure out what's going on.

Here is a video link:

Last edited by Mortal300; 01-01-13 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-01-13, 10:31 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATES: I tried testing some CEL codes with paper clip test. Didn't have much luck. I found in another thread that it's possible to be some coil wires screwed up but on this model SC there aren't coil wires..

So I finally tried bypassing the spark plugs by stepping on the gas full throttle as I start the car. It worked..! The car just revved up to red line and stayed that way until I let go of the gas. Once I let go of the gas, it died.

This means the plugs are indeed flooded. Will change the plugs tomorrow and let you all know if you're still interested

Last edited by Mortal300; 01-03-13 at 01:22 PM.