Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 Lexus SC400 wont rev past 4K????

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 03:50 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1992 Lexus SC400 wont rev past 4K????

I have a friend of mines 92, and it will not rev past 4K. I am thinking is some of the following things, but wanted some advice before going to in depth of troubleshooting. I have searched and really haven't found a definite answer. Mostly for 1JZ....

-caps
-rotor button
-wires
-plugs
-driver side coil
-timing off
-bad ecu
-fuel pump ecu
-clogged fuel pump and filter
-maf
-iacv
-tps

I went ahead and did the fuel pump ecu mod, and made no change. I also pulled the codes and it gave me code 24 and code 29. The code 24 was for theTrac. I checked theTrac fuse as per say by the diagnostic file I have. Fuse was good and the volts up to it. I was thinking theTrac ecu was by the main ecu, but I am bit confused.

Is the TRAC and ABS the same ECU???

I also unplugged the maf and the idle went down a tad and a little erratic. Plugged it back in, started up and went down to idle smooth. The idle is very low like 300 when started when dead cold. I haven't have time to check the other items, but just wanted to clarity before I went forward. The other issue is the AC compressor not kicking on. He was told that the climate control was the bad part, I also replaced it today, and it still does not come on. I am thinking the AC is just low of freon and that is why it will not kick on. I need to jump the relay in the main fuse box to see if this triggers it on. If this doesn't work, it is indeed low, my only guess. He also stated the car has new plugs and has cleaned the IACV, as per my request over the phone.

For code 29, my code reader couldn't tell me anything, and my PDF was no help either. Does anyone know what this is?

The history of this car is a little vague. I originally was told several issues with it but cant remember them all. I intended on replacing all of the bushings but feel like I need to look into fixing the little things also before my friend takes delivery of it. He seems eager to want to fix some of the issues but doesn't want to throw money at it that is unnecessary.

Any help is grateful. Have a happy new year.
Old 01-01-13, 04:07 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I also wanted to add that the car, when dead cold, doesn't start on the first try. I think this issue is contributed to the smaller battery than the original, I had to jump it off twice today but no battery light on at any time during cranking. Once running, the temperature gauge takes almost 30 minutes to get to operating temps. I drove the car for 12 miles and the temp never got above 1/8-1/4 up. Once I parked it, I revved it for several minutes and finally the temperature started to climb and the heat finally got hot. The same thing happened again today and the temp outside was around 50 degrees.

I am thinking it is a stuck thermostat.