Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Avg. Cost of a 2JZ-GTE swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 03:09 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finished the swap myself. All information are here on CL. I have only changed oil before this swap (crazy right)..one thing I did have Dr Tweak do my harness conversion. I am going single now since my twins only lasted one month.

As far as cost wise, it will pipe up quick. Tools..misc parts..etc, i think i spent about 6k so far including the single turbo conv.
Old 01-01-13, 04:44 PM
Casper9604
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i'd be willing to buy the engine hoist and stands required for me to do it myself. I didn't know that i could have the harness premade for the SC. I have a relatively low mileage engine (115K miles), but really would prefer to not go NA-T as the current engine that i have in the car right now is having a few problems with oil leaking from the block....
Old 01-01-13, 06:03 PM
2jpowa
Driver

i dont understand why people dont just do NA-t if they plan on going single anyway? i mean it saves having to change the wiring harness, the block will handle almost just as much power. The only downside is having to do custom ground cams which really isnt a big deal and a FFIM. In my opinion if a 2j is together its gonna run lol pull it out reseal it for 200 bucks, do a little single kit with a map ecu if you want to go cheap. Then if later you wanna up the hp get a fresher block or build it and go standalone etc. This is truely just my opinion tho!
Old 01-01-13, 06:31 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Casper9604
Well i'd be willing to buy the engine hoist and stands required for me to do it myself. I didn't know that i could have the harness premade for the SC. I have a relatively low mileage engine (115K miles), but really would prefer to not go NA-T as the current engine that i have in the car right now is having a few problems with oil leaking from the block....
You should change those seals on a 2jzgte motor swap as well. It's just regular maintenance to change those seals. Cams, crank seals and distributor o ring for 2jzge, and valve cover gasket. Oh don't forget rear main seal.
Old 01-01-13, 07:20 PM
Casper9604
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate the information and everything. The FFIM is one of the reasons why i am hesitant to go NA-T. having to relocate the throttle body and everything appears to be rather tedious, but then again, i guess everything about an engine swap would be tedious as well. lmao
Old 01-01-13, 09:10 PM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I budgeted around 7k and after it was all said and done, it was 13k plus with the tune.
Same place I went...I was at 9K+ out the door.
Old 01-02-13, 08:18 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by chnk
x3 my friends 1j swap into her sc was wired the craziest way i mean the blinkers and the radio is connected somehow
funny stuff over here.

step 1: fix small amount of oil coming from block (could just be an old distributor o-ring).
step 2: slap a turbo on it.

good luck.
Old 01-02-13, 08:50 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wanganstyl
Cheapest is to just buy complete running car with a turbo engine already installed and manual transmission installed.
80% of the "import custom" shops cannot wire up one of these. perhaps even more % but I'll be nice since its a new year

Dropping off your car @ "import custom" shop for "engine swap with wiring" is a great way to:

a. Be down one car for 6 months-1.5 years
b. Loose alot of $,$$$ in "Labor" to them learning how to wire/mess up your car
c. after 1.5 years of frustration pay them and get your car back..........in not running condition
d. repeat and drop off the car at Shop B to have a-c done again.
anyone thats not too deep into this build listen to this guy please and save yourself headaches, sell your car and buy a running 2jzgte, na-t , 1jzgte car thats done and running. In the long run you will spend thousands more and will be without a car for a long time.
Old 01-02-13, 09:05 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Casper9604
Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate the information and everything. The FFIM is one of the reasons why i am hesitant to go NA-T. having to relocate the throttle body and everything appears to be rather tedious, but then again, i guess everything about an engine swap would be tedious as well. lmao
I bought my SC300 already NA+T with 5 speed and stock engine boosted with garbage piggyback setup.

Turbo kit /setup/brains was GARBAGE........a week later I Removed the entire "T:" kit and converted the car back to NA. So much happier than UGLY FMIC and terrible piping

FFIM is one issue with NA-T yes; so buy an aftermarket unit.
After FFIM is solved and the ugly FMIC piping route goes away....

there ithe s ugly distributor that is made of plastic and too close to the turbo.... this will cost a engine harness re-configure for digital ignition and ecu change at the least to go away........an AEM EMS if you have goals above 500rwhp and the cost to tune.

after these NA-T specific issues are all solved one could have bought a 1jz-gte front clip complete with gearbox, wiring, ecu, etc etc.

Buying a BMW M3 to park next to the SC300 sounds very very tempting at this point as its the same cost of a 2jz-gte+bpu+harness+TRD LSD+refresh parts needed for install

Last edited by wanganstyl; 01-02-13 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-02-13, 09:29 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DuWerke
Same place I went...I was at 9K+ out the door.
This sounds about right honestly. If your car is 400 then you've got a problem with the oil pans. If you happen to be a 300 then you can swap that stuff over. The majority of these swaps I see are from Aristos so they are front sump.

If you have to buy the lower and upper oil pan, that stuff is almost a grand from the dealer!
Old 01-02-13, 01:44 PM
Casper9604
Rookie

I am one of the lucky ones who already have a 300.
I know it's going to be a lot of time and money. I may just sit on the engine i have now until i find a really good deal around here in BR.
Old 01-03-13, 11:10 AM
SCYAL8R
Rookie

Add another to the "buy built" crowd. Mine was partly built and had a lot of good parts and I still spent 5k to get it all right. And that was with the tt ecu mod, no standalone.

You have a number in your head when you start. And even though you know it may he more, basically double that number to be realistic.

I had mine done at ma motorsports in Maryland who does tons of 2jz work.

If I was gonna do it all over again id either save everything up and buy built or just go buy an m3.

Its a hassle for sure. And the only people who can really appreciate the car is a very small percentage of people who claim to be enthusiasts.

I wouldn't recommend na-t to anyone who isn't a certified engine mod addict. Although the sonofa***** is fast as hell.
Old 01-03-13, 03:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I couldn't imagine paying all that to just get boosted, 9k+ thats alot.
I know i didn't even spend half that for my current setup, and it gives me 0 issues.
FFIM and distributor are mostly for looks, and when you do the TT ecu mod the distributor gets cut in half.

a stock compression 2jzge, with a na-t kit, tt ecu mod, vvti coils, larger fuel pump and injectors makes a pretty good setup that is more powerfull than a comparable single turbo gte at lower boost levels. for above stock boost levels you need to add the TT headgasket, and you will still make a little more power than a gte will at the same psi.

of course the GTE will look better doing it, or with the hood up I mean.

The silly looking stock intake actually helps your turbo spool faster.
My FFIM is great dont get me wrong, but there is an extra split second of waiting, and then BAM (kick in the pants). I still consider it mostly aesthetic unless you are pushing alot of power.

I agree it is much easier and cheaper to find a already done setup or partially done setup as long as it isnt completely hacked.
going na-t requires learning lots of new things about turbo systems, that a swap will not get that involved if you get the harness done for you.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-03-13 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 04:30 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

I'm at 6K so far for a Soarer 1JZ R154 swap, and I'm going from Auto to Manual.
Old 01-03-13, 05:18 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Is your swap done though? Also you have to factor in labor cost. if you're doing it yourself you're going to save a lot. Having a shop do it for you, I could definitely about a grand to $1500 additional.

Quick Reply: Avg. Cost of a 2JZ-GTE swap?