Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Avg. Cost of a 2JZ-GTE swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 06:02 PM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah 9K is a lot but there's some extras the needed to get addressed during all of it.

But as it stands, I got no issues with the car. I have a 300 and so far it pulls hard when I romp on it and when I drive it like a adult it's not bad on gas.

I got the Aristo tranny with stock twins and a manual boost control and a bunch of other goodies. If I could do it all over again I would've do something different.

My mechincal prowess isn't that strong so taking on that type of job was WAY outside of my comfort zone. But overall I'm happy.
Old 01-03-13, 08:06 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats all that matters if the owner is happy with the price and what they got in return.
Old 01-04-13, 05:27 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Is your swap done though? Also you have to factor in labor cost. if you're doing it yourself you're going to save a lot. Having a shop do it for you, I could definitely about a grand to $1500 additional.
1500 to pay a shop to do a swap? wow, must be some hillbilly in TX that works out of a horse barn.
Old 01-04-13, 06:35 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Aristo 2jzgte with stock twins and tranny is around $2200 shipped , Wiring is around $800 if you can't do it yourself ... plus whatever parts you do not have to complete the swap. You can use your sc300 lower oil pans, radiator and shroud. You will need a water pump which is around $150 since aristo comes with hydraulic water pump. If you want to refresh you engine.. depending on extent ...like changing head gasket, using arp head studs , new oil pump for assurance, gasket and seals .. then your cost can add up quickly. A lot of small things will nickel and dime you. If you already have all the parts and you can do the job yourself then it can save you a lot of money.... otherwise buying one already built and tested for a reasonable price is a good way to go... less headache. I know you said you didn't want an NA-T . I have seen a lot of these NA-T making good power and daily driven without the costs involved in a 2jzgte swap. You just have to determine I guess what is your final goal and purpose for the car that will warrant a 2jzgte instead of an NA-T since you already have a 300 which is a good platform for NA-T.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-04-13 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 12:41 PM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Pretty much sums it up right there.
Old 01-04-13, 01:36 PM
Casper9604
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a large purpose of the car is going to be for shows, and looks are important for that... and IMHO the GTE looks much nicer than the GE... our stock engines look crude... just my opinion.
Old 01-04-13, 07:06 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Casper9604
Well a large purpose of the car is going to be for shows, and looks are important for that... and IMHO the GTE looks much nicer than the GE... our stock engines look crude... just my opinion.
The same reason I did a gte swap on mine
Old 01-04-13, 07:27 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Also remember this if your Ge is healthy "mine wasn't " you can have a singled Ge with dizzy delete , gte valve covers and coil pack cover , log style manifold ,aem stand alone etc that looks identical to a gte with more power for same if not less then the gte swap .
Old 01-05-13, 10:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

and the waterneck will be on the right side, but there will be that little cps instead of the distributor unless you go pro and get a hall setup or weld the sensors to the head.

I would have to agree if its for shows and stuff drop a GTE in and get all the bolt on goodies.
If you just want to have the power and its not a show car then it can be harder to justify the cost.
Old 01-05-13, 08:24 PM
GTE4Life
Rookie

I had a GTE swapped in my car for around 12k and that was for a refreshed motor (t belt and all seals) and full exhaust, FMIC with hard lines, and a few other small things like aem tru boost controller and HKS BOV. Although doing it myself was probable possible I was more than happy to send it to a professional to have it done. All the wiring in my car is perfect and everything works, the car has not given me a single problem since the swap. I definitely agree with what some other members have said on here...take it to a reputable shop that knows jz motors even if its a bit far, i actually shipped my car across the country for my swap and drove it back
Old 01-05-13, 08:26 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats always a plus when you spend that much and drive it home!!!
Old 01-06-13, 12:18 PM
GTE4Life
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Thats always a plus when you spend that much and drive it home!!!
Ya i was very happy with all of it, i was living in a house with no garage at the time and had more money than time so i figured i would let someone elso do the work. The turn around was a little bit long, but i,m positive that it was WAY shorter than i could have ever done it. and it was a fun drive back, me and a friend took 3 days and drove from South Carolina back to Colorado, we had no issues on that drive what-so-ever. And then it ws the fun part, getting to polish the motor and car just the way i like it and do some easier upgrades.

Given that i have a GTE swapped car now and i have worked on it and learned a lot more about the cars and motors in the last few years i think if i were to do it again i would try it myself, but i would not try that the first time.

I have actually seen a few SCs fall victim to the "local tuner shop" attempt to do the motor swap and the cars went to a few shops and then were sold at near scrap value...its always sad to see.
Old 01-07-13, 02:05 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

I was able to complete the swap for ~ $5k with new gaskets and seals, water pump, arp stuff, usdm twins, fmic, exhaust. I did all the labor which saved me a whole bunch.
Old 01-07-13, 02:52 PM
snomanlex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTE swap 5k-8k doing it yourself. 8k-up for a shop to do it.

And as everyone has said NA-t is the best option. Mainly for simplicity and cost-effectiveness.
A nice NA-t setup would be under 5k depending on components used or power desired.