Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I smell exhaust fumes inside my SC300; loss of power and 1JZ idles really rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 05:00 AM
BlakOnBlak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I smell exhaust fumes inside my SC300; loss of power and 1JZ idles really rough

Hello CL. It's another day and I have another problem I drove to work yesterday morning, everything seemed fine, car was running good. After work when I went to start the car I noticed it hesitated a little. Usually when I turn the key she starts up in half a second, but this time it took like 3 or 4 seconds with my key in the on position. After she starts up I notice the idle being abnormally rough. Almost feels like its going to shut off at times. As I let the car warm up I can smell exhaust fumes inside the car. I popped the hood and noticed what looked to be exhaust smoke coming from the side of the engine where the turbos sit. I've got a 92 Auto -SC300-1jzgte with stock everything. When I drove the car I have hardly any power when I give it boost. I can here the blow off valve when I let off the gas, but she slows down when I try punching it. Any advise would be great on how I can fix my baby
Old 12-07-12, 12:04 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

same problem here, same symptoms. I think my turbos are blown.

In the beginning, I was only getting 5psi, I can still hear the turbos spool and my BOV still blow off . Drove the car the next couple days after changing sparks, taping/nail polish cracked coil, checked for boost leak, nada, i dont think it was a crack coil because my car isnt sputtering. However, I am still only getting 5psi, i figure maybe one of my turbo is blown. Long story short, I let my friend drive it and ended up getting no boost at all and I cant even hear the turbo spin. I figure my turbos are blown. (removed twins and turbine are still intact, some shaft play)

I did regret not removing the midpipe and see if my CAT is clogged(highly doubt it)

My replacement twins are coming in today, will report here once I replace them.
Old 12-07-12, 07:46 PM
BlakOnBlak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback. Pointed me in the right direction - decided to check the plugs first. Sure enough they were black. I changed them out, started the car, and she is idling good again. I have full power again when I hit the throttle. Hope you get yours fixed soon Brotha