Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Squeal Upon Engine Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 07:48 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Squeal Upon Engine Start

Hey, I'm wondering if any of ya'll can help me diagnose a problem.

Whenever I start my car I hear a loud metallic squeal for a few seconds as the engine turns over. It is also accompanied by a feeling in the clutch that mimics the squeal. At first it only happened upon cold starts whenever it was really cold outside and the engine was cold. But now it happens whenever I start the car whether the engine is cold or hot.

I'm tempted to think it is a problem with the clutch because of the feedback I feel in the clutch upon start. Maybe a clutch bearing, but I'm wondering if any of ya'll can help me narrow it down so I can better diagnose the problem.

Could the car be low on clutch fluid, as well? Is that something that should be replaced over time?

The car shifts very smoothly though, and there are no problems with the clutch while driving at all, just the initial squeal upon start up. Also if it's not the clutch, what else could it be?

**EDIT** BTW it's a 1992 5 speed SC300
Old 11-19-12, 08:01 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Could be the harmonic balancer which the rubber gets old and seperates and causes a loud squeal usually on start up.

They are notorious for this.
Old 11-19-12, 09:52 AM
lex92sc300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what clutch you running could be crank walk ..baad news
Old 11-19-12, 10:51 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

probably not crankwalk on a stock car. I agree it sounds like the accessory belt area. check the harmonic balancer, belt tensioner, and the belt itself for wear.
Old 11-19-12, 10:54 AM
lex92sc300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
probably not crankwalk on a stock car. I agree it sounds like the accessory belt area. check the harmonic balancer, belt tensioner, and the belt itself for wear.
why asked what clutch wasnt sure if he was stok or moded.
if stock i agree check , what you said
Old 11-19-12, 05:27 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Oh thanks guy, I never thought to check that, I'll have plenty of time this thanksgiving break, so I'll see if I can take care of that if thats the problem.

And yes, it's the stock clutch and tranny.
Old 11-20-12, 09:51 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Could be the harmonic balancer which the rubber gets old and seperates and causes a loud squeal usually on start up.

They are notorious for this.
Yup! I had this same problem. It turned out to be a harmonic balancer about to fall off.
Old 11-23-12, 01:15 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, having a lot more trouble finding the harmonic balancer than I thought I would. Is it okay for me to drive on it another 300 miles to get back home? If I order anything online It won't get here before I leave to go home.

Anyways, just asking if it's cool to drive on this for just one day for 300 miles if I can't find the part here before I leave. Their is a parts car about 70 miles south of here that I am going to check out, but if I can't get it just wondering if I should leave the car here for the time being or if I can drive it back home.
Old 11-23-12, 02:20 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eknine9
Lol, having a lot more trouble finding the harmonic balancer than I thought I would. Is it okay for me to drive on it another 300 miles to get back home? If I order anything online It won't get here before I leave to go home.

Anyways, just asking if it's cool to drive on this for just one day for 300 miles if I can't find the part here before I leave. Their is a parts car about 70 miles south of here that I am going to check out, but if I can't get it just wondering if I should leave the car here for the time being or if I can drive it back home.
It would be very risky to drive that far but you may with some luck make it just run with no a/c and as little power from any creature comforts as possible.
Old 11-24-12, 08:42 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Ugh, the dealer is the only place that has one. They want nearly $400 for it, but if I can't find one elsewhere I might just have to cave. Checked 6 different junk yards and the only one that had one didn't want to part out the engine out.
Old 11-24-12, 09:46 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
Ugh, the dealer is the only place that has one. They want nearly $400 for it, but if I can't find one elsewhere I might just have to cave. Checked 6 different junk yards and the only one that had one didn't want to part out the engine out.
I just bought a brand new one for $64 on ebay. It's a generic brand one, but it will work. My only concern is that it didn't have counterbalance holes on the side such as OEM.Search on ebay and you will find the same seller selling more for the same price.

Finding a used harmonic balancer is easy because it's the same part# for GS300 IS300 and SC300.
Old 11-24-12, 01:02 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luxor
I just bought a brand new one for $64 on ebay. It's a generic brand one, but it will work. My only concern is that it didn't have counterbalance holes on the side such as OEM.Search on ebay and you will find the same seller selling more for the same price.

Finding a used harmonic balancer is easy because it's the same part# for GS300 IS300 and SC300.
Unfortunately I just bought the dealer one. Can't wait for shipping as I am leaving tomorrow to go back home. Wanted to take my car with me rather than leaving it here for 3 weeks until I come back. Hurts to have to pay this much for this but nobody had one here except for them.
Old 11-25-12, 01:57 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Did the install, would like to add a quick tip. If it's a manual when installing the new crank pulley, put the car in 1st gear, then cover everything with pb blaster. Putting the car in gear offers more resistance and makes it even easier to turn the bolt to tighten the crank bolt down.

Don't hammer the harmonic balancer in as you'll have to deal with worrying about it being crooked. It needs to be absolutely straight.