Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1uz twin turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 06:41 PM
andrew7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1uz twin turbo build

Hello this is my first post on this forum so please bare with my stupidity

I have a 1uz that I plan on twin turbo with 2 ct26's and hoping for around 700 hp.

What sort of rebuild kits, stocker kits do you recommend that are around 3k or less?

Also I got a question about the transmission. I was looking for an automatic which I would program for flappy paddles. Or a semi auto sequential gearbox.
I was looking for a double clutch gear box but I could not find anything compatible with the 1uz.
Any thoughts about the tranny with this set up with around 700hp in mind?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-12-12, 06:44 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds interesting. Post pics of your progress. Good luck.
Old 11-12-12, 06:56 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

On the rebuild kits, contact Scott ur not, on here. He has done many things with 1UZ and has been very successful. With the stock tranny use the TH400, they are known to be bullet proof. I looked at building and supercharging the V8, but after pricing parts for the thing, it was crazy expensive, but doable. It was more feasible to do a 1JZ or 2JZ swap with a big ol turbo. With your build, it will be crazy and fun to drive. The torque of the V8 on twin turbos will just be a handful. What rear end are you planning on using? I would also upgrade the brakes at least on the front to a LS400 or TT's. I am subscribed on this build. I have never seen a dual turbo on a 1UZ on here, just a BW S366.
Old 11-12-12, 07:03 PM
andrew7
Driver School Candidate

Well the cat is out of the bad so I will let you guys know a bit more.
The engine and tranny are not going into a Lexus, I apologize before, and I am prepared for the massive waves of why would you do that and all of the shunning
The car it's going in will have a massive breaks so that's no problem.
And a 9 inch limited slip diff.
The suspension on the car is going to be completely custom and pretty crazy.
I am trying not to give a lot away right now. Already have the engine torn down and cleaned.
Also is this the right area of a forum to put this post? Is there like a build thread area or something?

Last edited by andrew7; 11-12-12 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-13-12, 08:33 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you want to post up a build thread, that is usually on the main SC forum if it was actually an SC you were building. but since its just the motor, lets keep it here in here in the performance section.
you will need a much better automatic than the one that is in there for 700hp.
Old 11-13-12, 03:39 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, if you have the money you should look into a 2uz block with ported 1uz heads. You will need to rebuild the block. Transmission wise, there are a couple of swap kits available, or you could build up a factory transmission and rig it to suprashift. Let me know if you need anymore help.
Old 11-13-12, 04:00 PM
andrew7
Driver School Candidate

I can not put a 2uz into the engine bay of the car I got. 1uz is maxing it out and then some. I need to find a good company who does pistons, crank, rods that are all forged. Transmission wise you are saying to take a stock tranny and use a kit to upgrade it right? What kits are there out there?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-12, 04:56 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

From the little research I have done, no stock 1UZ will hold that kind of power, go with the I mentioned above.
Old 11-13-12, 05:39 PM
andrew7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
From the little research I have done, no stock 1UZ will hold that kind of power, go with the I mentioned above.
Why would it not hold the power?
Of course you would have to put upgraded internals in and make modifications so it does.
Just wondering if anyone makes a set out there that could do that?
Old 11-13-12, 05:48 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

The only sets I've seen are over 5k some over the better made towards $10k for the stroker kit. The 1UZ is a great motor, very expensive to get some power. You'll probably make more power buying a 1JZ and spend the remains on your 3k budget modding it.
Old 11-13-12, 07:25 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

just saying the 2uz block has the same external dimensions as a 1uz block, its just bored out a little more. also since your putting the engine in a different chassis your making engine mounts, right? if so you basically just got rid of your one and only issue with fitting it... my main reasoning on pushing the 2uz is the added displacement and iron block.

look on lextreme.com for parts, rods and pistons for 2200ish and something like 5k for a fully built 2uz drop in block, 4 bolt conversion and all.
Old 11-13-12, 07:28 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

oh and for the transmission look into apt for a full rebuild, it's the s***. 800+whp
Old 11-13-12, 08:39 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I was talking about the stock tranny not the 1UZ. Sorry man, if you misunderstood me. I dont know of any that makes any uograded parts for the tranny except for what has already been mentioned already.
Old 11-13-12, 08:46 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

oh, sorry if that sounded like a rebuke to your comment, i was responding to the OP's comment as to who rebuilds transmissions... sorry for any confusion. So to clear this up the Apt comment was in reply to the OP's question about transmission rebuilds, and not any sort of put down to you...
Old 11-15-12, 07:08 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should take a look at lextreme site. There are some twin turbo´s 1uz builds and much more info than here. If you want 700hp at the crank you can do it by just replacing the OEM studs for some ARP.
You should consider a single turbo setup too. If not sequential, two turbos won´t be better by twice the hassle. Remember that you´ll still have the stock torque on low revs.
You can also built the A340e to support the power. Shims and shift kit would do the job if you install this combo in a lighter car.
I´m a single turbo 1uz owner and I can tell that these engines deserve more than what people tell.
Good luck with your project!

Quick Reply: 1uz twin turbo build