Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Free Toyota Pre-OBD Datalogger Found!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 07:53 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dudes,

I realize this isn't the "freshest' of threads. I recently built a cable and the data logger shows a blinking green RECORDING signal with the ignition turned to ON. However it always shows a blinking red box when trying to record when I start the engine. It goes back to green and displays limited static data when the engine is turned off again. I am using an older laptop with Windows 10 and I'm wondering if anyone has successfully data logged with this program using a Windows 10 laptop/desktop. I've tried different capacitors, shorter wiring, and the results are always the same. I've used a program that shows the data stream from the engine computer is being received by the program at all times; there seems to be a problem with the program itself.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-09-16, 01:35 PM
funkdog
Driver School Candidate

Howdy there,

I just wanted to chime in and say that I built a cable and was able to use it to listen to the datastream coming from the ECU on my 1992 Lexus ES300. I had to try a few things to get it to work so I figured I'd share my observations.

I don't have any computers with Windows (all mac laptops + linux servers), on the rare occasion I need to run a windows app, I use VMWare Fusion to run a Windows XP virtual machine on my mac. I tried running the cartester app in the virtual machine, using a USB to serial adapter to connect to the cable. This didn't work - the app could read the pin, as verified by connecting +5V to the data pin when running the inversion test and seeing the 1/0 onscreen toggle as expected, but no data stream).

Next I realized I had an old laptop in my e-waste pile that could run Windows XP and had an actual DB-9 serial port on it. I installed XP, and the app worked no problem. The refresh rate on the data is pretty slow though, maybe every 2 seconds or so?

I was curious about how the program was reading the data, given that the cable wasn't using the usual TX/RX pins on the serial connector. Turns out it's possible for an app to poll the serial port to see if it's ready (i.e. if the DSR/DTR pin is high). I'm pretty sure the cartester app is just spinning in a loop, attempting to read the value of that pin at a fixed, periodic interval, and then using the results to decode the data stream.

Anyhow I've dealt with this kind of stuff before and I'm actually surprised that anyone was able to get it to work using a usb/serial adapter but sounds like it's possible, given a fast enough machine and such. USB makes it hard to poll the pin at a regular interval (USB stack can introducee variable latency), and not all USB to serial adapters even use that pin.

Good luck, hope this info is useful to someone! And thanks to the russian folks who wrote the app in the first place
Old 10-21-16, 09:59 AM
plexus914
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OBD I - CarTester8000 works on LS400 (1997) like a charm. Fast data refresh rate on a laptop with Intel(R)Pentium(M) 1,6GHz processor and 504RAM.
http://toyota.kgbconsulting.ca/wiki/...rial_Interface

Has anyone tried dtdauto's "EFI-Scan 1.5+" yet?

http://www.dtdauto.com/Product/Product_diagnostic/EFI%20Scan_E.htm
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...134394451.html

PS:
It resembles pretty much Toyota/Lexus Techstream software (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...re-system.html).

Last edited by plexus914; 11-10-16 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-21-16, 10:08 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by plexus914

Never heard of that one. But looks nice. Another OBD1 reader is the TOYOBD1 reader. I just got my TOYOBD1 reader in the mail this week. Probably going play around with it this weekend. It was around $40 I think
Old 07-22-17, 06:05 PM
DanielP02
Driver School Candidate

Goodnight.

I have made the cable, but when I go to connect it, I realize that my connector does not have the pin VF1. My question is how do I set a pin on the ECU, since I do not know what it is? My vehicle is a Toyota Corolla 1997. Greetings.
Old 07-24-17, 01:15 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielP02
Goodnight.

I have made the cable, but when I go to connect it, I realize that my connector does not have the pin VF1. My question is how do I set a pin on the ECU, since I do not know what it is? My vehicle is a Toyota Corolla 1997. Greetings.
Funny, this thread has been silent for a long time. The day I find my old cable and throw it away, someone revives the thread.

Anyway, Daniel, of you have a 1997, you are OBDII, so none of this thread is relevant to you. You can buy an off the shelf OBDII scanner.
Old 07-24-17, 03:29 PM
DanielP02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
Funny, this thread has been silent for a long time. The day I find my old cable and throw it away, someone revives the thread.

Anyway, Daniel, of you have a 1997, you are OBDII, so none of this thread is relevant to you. You can buy an off the shelf OBDII scanner.
My vehicle is not equipped with an OBD II connector, it only has the toyota OBD I connector. Greetings.
Old 09-26-17, 05:03 PM
leaderpvp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is a treasure !!!
Thanks to OP, software still lives in the same page, probably will move it also to github.
luckily i don't need the translation