Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Search for a Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 11:29 PM
sc2chainz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search for a Mechanic

Hi everyone
im looking for a suitable mechanic to help me out with my problem, i pulled out my distributor without knowing i needed the striker in a certain position, and i was wondering if anyone knows a mechanic or is one, that could help me put it back in, so i can learn to do it, and so i can have a car again, but i will also be paying for the help with out a doubt.

if anyone can help please pm me

the more experience the better
and thank you all
Old 11-09-12, 04:55 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Where are you located?
Old 11-11-12, 10:37 AM
sc2chainz
Driver School Candidate

i am located in San Antonio Texas
Old 11-11-12, 05:47 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just remove the distributor, set the engine to top dead center and then install the distributor while turning the rotor under the cap to line up with number 1 plug wire. it is simple enough to do
Old 11-12-12, 05:35 PM
sc2chainz
Driver School Candidate

oh i did not realize that is how to do it, is it hard to do on sc300 1997, and are there any risk factors i should worry about, i will be researching more about it and how to do it now.

thank you for your help
Old 11-12-12, 06:59 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

use 5mm allen key to remove top cam cover. locate the notch on the black piece of metal behind each camshaft sprocket. using a ratchet and socket rotate the crankshaft pulley till the mark on the crank shaft mark lines up with the line on the plastic cover behind it. at the same time that the camshaft sprocket lines match with the notches on the black cover. then you can remove the distributor cap and then remove the distributor. turn the gear on the bottom to rotate the ignition rotor till it lines up with the number one plug wire when the distributor is seated and tightened.
Old 11-13-12, 12:20 AM
sc2chainz
Driver School Candidate

awesome that gives me much more ground in my mind then i had before. also are there any good video instructional online that anyone knows of, ive helped my brother do this to his sr20 before, but i do not completely remember all of it for its been a few years

i believe my engine is a 2jzge

hopefully these are my last 2 questions, but my brother was telling me about the noteches on the crank shaft pulley, and he told me one of the notches on it is the TDC, would anyone know which one it could be
and also does anyone know how many MM the crank shaft bolt is, so i can go buy one

Last edited by sc2chainz; 11-13-12 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-13-12, 10:20 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

if you have the inline 6 cylinder then yes you have a 2jz-ge. there is a notch with a 0 under it that is TDC the crankshaft bolt is a 7/8in or 22mm make sure you rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE to prevent any damage. no online video that i have ever seen or used but check out google. or follow the steps i posted before
Old 11-13-12, 01:47 PM
sc2chainz
Driver School Candidate

awesome that helps me so much thank you again
Old 11-15-12, 07:54 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

glad to help
Old 11-29-12, 03:49 PM
sc2chainz
Driver School Candidate

my beautiful car is alive again!!! thank you so much for your help, but now that its on, there lies another issue. i believe the timing is off, and i was reccomeneded to go buy a timing gun.

i also tried first moving the distributor a little to see if it would raise my RPM's to regular 1000, but instead it stayed around 500-250 i was too nervous to go any further, and decided to seek more knowledge on the magnificent sc300 before i go further, are there other ways of fixing the timing with out the gun, or is it the best most accurate way to do it
Old 12-01-12, 10:23 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

a timing gun is simply a strobe light that slows dont the rate at which your eye picks up the crank pulleys revolution. you could use a strobe light from a party store but i would just get the automotive timing light as it is built to get close to the crank pulley while at speed.

you say you think the belt is off one tooth did you pull the belt off for any reason i thought you were simply pulling the distributor out to fix that issue. i would start by setting the car to TDC again and checking to see that the ign rotor under the cap is lined up with the number 1 wire while at TDC on the compression stroke. start there it is possible it wasnt lined up quite right as it happened to me when i did my distributor for the first time
Old 12-02-12, 02:50 PM
sc2chainz
Driver School Candidate

i did not skip a teeth, i did not take the belt off, i was able to get it to TDCand put the distributor back on and jump it to get it running again, but you can hear and feel somethings off by being near the car and seeing the RPM.
i made a couple videos of it, the first is me turning the car on and check the exhaust and RPM, and the second is after its warmed up after driving about a mile out

http://youtu.be/VN1qJGvvwbg

http://youtu.be/OYhJjiJqnSM
Old 12-02-12, 07:00 PM
thomrashid
Driver School Candidate

i am located in San Antonio Texas
Old 12-03-12, 12:01 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

checked your videos out, def reving high and sounds of a misfire in the first video, take your car to the local AutoZone i saw in your second video the TRAC light was flashing and check engine light was on. AutoZone scans your car for free and gives you a print out that will be the best way to see what is going on.

did you set the engine back to TDC and check the distributor cap/ ign rotor alignment like i said in an above post?

Quick Reply: Search for a Mechanic