Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tt ecu help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 09:31 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tt ecu help

I have a 97 sc300 with r154. I wanna run the auto tt ecu. Does anyone know the part number of the ecu I would need to buy. Which ecu is better to run with? Jdm usdm? Heard that the aristo have an immobilzer? I know there a thread on the tt ecu. Couldn't really tell what year vehicle I need the ecu out of to work on my obd2 car.
Old 10-31-12, 10:56 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need an usdm 96+ ecu , if you wanna keep the obd2 port functional.

I told you and i will tell you for the last time, with the jdm ecu your OBD2 port will not work.

Aristo non vvti doesn't have an immobilizer, the later year VVTi does.

What are you trying to do?
Old 10-31-12, 11:07 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah with odb2, you should just go usdm gte ecu if you want to keep odb2 functionality with the least headache, its just one extra maf sensor on my mod, and I had posted the wiring somewhere in the last few pages, you also use 550's in stead of 440's.
Quicksc4 is right you probably don't want to do JDM if you are odb2, it wont be nearly as plug and play.

you are lucky you are odb2 and non-vvti. If you were 98+ vvti you would need a vvti odb2 ecu, and the 2jzgte never came with vvti in the USDM supra.
In 1998, only the n/a supra got a 2jzge vvti. turbo models received a non-vvti 2jzgte in the US. only JDM models had vvti 2jzgte along with the aristos.

For those that do find themselves in that 98+ year range, I do remember tweak saying something about putting a vvti aristo into a tacoma and keeping odb2 functionality, so it is probably possible to keep odb2 with a JDM ecu, but you would probably want to talk to tweak I do not know the details.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-31-12 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-31-12, 11:58 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

In trying to go na-t and be able to pass inspection which in Texas they plug into your obd2 port to check for codes etc. Going with a tt ecu it's boost friendly so the ecu wont go crazy. The usdm ecu use a maf and the Jdm uses a map sensor am I correct? Which is better? Should I just save up for a aem tt or a n/a ecu. I would like to run coilpacks eventually. The aem is pretty pricey so if I can run the aem
Na one for a bit until I save up for coilpacks and stuff that would be nice or so do I have to get the aem tt ecu if I plan on running coilpacks.
Old 10-31-12, 12:37 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwin
In trying to go na-t and be able to pass inspection which in Texas they plug into your obd2 port to check for codes etc. Going with a tt ecu it's boost friendly so the ecu wont go crazy. The usdm ecu use a maf and the Jdm uses a map sensor am I correct? Which is better? Should I just save up for a aem tt or a n/a ecu. I would like to run coilpacks eventually. The aem is pretty pricey so if I can run the aem
Na one for a bit until I save up for coilpacks and stuff that would be nice or so do I have to get the aem tt ecu if I plan on running coilpacks.
ok Ill try and break it down, you need to do some more research though.
because they plug in for odb2, you only have 2 choices unless you want to join the ecu swapping crowd every 2 years.
ODB2 GTE ECU conversion retaining odb2, or use a piggyback on your current n/a ecu.

going with an aem would be just like using a odb1 gte ecu, the aem standalones do not have odb2 functionality, so that is of no help to you really.
The aem standalones while they say one for turbo and one for n/a, they are practically the same and you can run whatever you want on either one, you just have to load the map you want. the main difference is the Turbo one comes loaded with a gte map, and the non turbo comes with a ge map. If you can click a few buttons and upload a map, it doesnt matter which one you get.

I would just use the odb2 USDM gte ecu over a piggyback on the stock ecu for the obvious reasons you already know.
there is nothing wrong with using a maf if you are keeping it under 600hp (from what I have read online), its just 4 more wires to hook up and the extra price of a maf, as the USDM ecu actually has both a map sensor and a maf sensor. there are e few members running the US version just fine. the stock maf is 3" and will not be a restriction on a na-t until you change alot of other stuff, even then you can get a VPC for it and it will convert it to map based.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-31-12 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 12:56 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

I'm running a r154 as well and have a cel for not having the auto tranny hook up. I'm In the process of switch it to a 96 sc300 5 speed ecu whenever it comes in. So basically I would need to find a usdm 96-98 supra tt 6 speed ecu if I want to pass inspection in Texas and run coilpacks.
Old 10-31-12, 01:01 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Has anyone ran an aem ems and try to go pass a state inspection that just requires plugging into your obd2 port. I'm really more concern about passing inspection then using that port to diagnose problems.
Old 10-31-12, 01:02 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

I'm guessing that I couldn't change to obd1 and try to pass
Inspection with the car requirements being obd2 or does the state
Inspection scanner doesn't know the different as long as I don't have any cel
Old 10-31-12, 01:11 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Basically I want to be able to go pass inspection and run a reliable na-t with a goal of 500whp. More importantly pass inspection. If I can get away with just a tt ecu great but if I can't then it will have to be the aem ems
Old 10-31-12, 02:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I'm running a r154 as well and have a cel for not having the auto tranny hook up. I'm In the process of switch it to a 96 sc300 5 speed ecu whenever it comes in. So basically I would need to find a usdm 96-98 supra tt 6 speed ecu if I want to pass inspection in Texas and run coilpacks.
if you have an auto trans engine harness, you will get those codes, unless you remove the solenoids from the transmission, plug them in and tie them out of the way, problem solved.
yes for coilpacks + gte ecu goodness you need the 96-98 ecu for odb2 to work.

Has anyone ran an aem ems and try to go pass a state inspection that just requires plugging into your obd2 port. I'm really more concern about passing inspection then using that port to diagnose problems.
no, no one passes inspection with just an aem ems unless it is an odb1 car. they do not have odb2 functionality, at all.

odb1 your check engine light doesnt even need to work and no plugging in anything at all.
There is just check of emission components and the actual emission test.

odb2 you get an automatic fail for a check engine light, and they have to be able to plug into the cars odb2 port and it has to talk/work with the ecu.

I'm guessing that I couldn't change to obd1 and try to pass
Inspection with the car requirements being obd2 or does the state
Inspection scanner doesn't know the different as long as I don't have any cel
oh they definitely know the difference, they will put in your car info, the computer will tell them to scan it cause its an odb2, and then when it doesn't work it will fail.
you cannot downgrade to odb1, because with swaps you need to install an engine/ecu newer than the one you have and you are already odb2.

Basically I want to be able to go pass inspection and run a reliable na-t with a goal of 500whp. More importantly pass inspection. If I can get away with just a tt ecu great but if I can't then it will have to be the aem ems
OK you really need to get the aem ems out of your thoughts entirely, it is the complete opposite from helping you pass emissions.

the only thing you could run aem is the aem fic piggyback on your ge ecu, but its not as good as running the 96-98 GTE ecu which will run your car like butter for 500hp with the 550cc injectors.
which year can be an important choice when buying an SC depending on your goals, I generally try and buy pre-96 cars for mods.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-31-12 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 02:28 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

I won't need to plug in my solenoids into my auto harness if I get the usdm tt 6 speed ecu. That's only if I'm running the auto ecu that I would need to plug in those solenoid. Correct?
Old 11-01-12, 05:09 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

^ tthat's correct.

You must use a usdm 6 speed ecu if you wanna go the na-t route and still pass emissions.

gl
Old 11-01-12, 08:16 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. That would be hard to find that ecu
Old 11-01-12, 09:27 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

No it's acutally not hard to find just post a wtb on SF and make sure you have the part# for different obd2 ecus.

gl
Old 11-16-12, 12:23 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

hey guys, forgive me for being redundant, but i just need a little clarification. I have been searching these forums for the last few weeks on doing an na-t setup on my freshly purchased 1997 sc300 with factory w58. I will be doing this progressively, as my income will not allow me to just do everything at once, so i need to accumulate parts. My question is:

-since i'm going na-t, should i get the usdm 96-98 tt ecu and injectors first and have them installed, and drive on that for a little until i bolt on the turbo, or is that not advised until i get the turbo setup installed?
- what is a good turbo kit i should get that will give me about 350-ish whp? (best bang for buck)

thank you for all the input guys

Quick Reply: Tt ecu help