Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need a little electrical help on 5speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 10:53 AM
A32Boost
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a little electrical help on 5speed swap

ok heres the deal, i have a 93 auto sc300, which i put in a new motor and tranny from a 95 5speed SC...

Basics i know:
the altenator plug on the auto sc300s are located on the engine harness and on the 5speed they are on the body harness

- i found that out once i installed to motor and went to plug up everything in the bay and i couldnt find the plug

--so i ended up picking up the body harness also from the same car the motor and tranny were pulled from...so fine thats solved (hopefully)

on to problem number 2 :

on the auto sc's the N. Saftey switch are on the auto trannsmissions, and on the 5speeds they are on the clutch pedal

-keep in mind i have a 5speed harness now and my car was originally auto so now i dont have a N. Saftey switch

Does anyody know how i can bypass that feature at the ecu ??? and anybody knows any future problems i may run into?
Old 10-17-12, 12:17 PM
carsmypnis
Driver

The neutral safety shouldn't go to the ecu, it is in between the ignition and starter. You could just run a new starter signal wire from ign switch to starter. I dunno exactly what u did as far as harness but if u still have the auto plug under the car, just jump the two fat wires, that's what I did
Old 10-17-12, 01:21 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes there are couple ways to do it, and yes you can do at the ecu.

You can also do it at the big plug that's on the trans harness
Old 10-17-12, 09:25 PM
SClean93
Driver

I just went through all the same issues with my swap... btw Biggu did a whole write up on the neutral safety switch problem. If you search his name you should find it
Old 10-17-12, 09:50 PM
armyastro
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

why dont you swap the engine harness back to the auto harness, you can use the auto ecu too, the plug for the auto trans has 2 pins that at bigger than the rest and inline with each other. A 20amp fuse fits perfect into it and then electrical tape it and wire tie the trans wiring up.
Old 10-18-12, 05:16 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Yes your best bet would be to use your Old auto harness, it will save you alot of headache.
Old 10-18-12, 07:27 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Just to clarify the Alternator situation...92-94 Alternator plugs are on the engine harness regardless of transmission type. 95-97 they are on the engine BAY harness. The OP had a 93 chassis (engine harness alt circuit) but swapped over a 95 engine harness (alt on engine BAY harness) that's why there was a missing plug. AUTO, or MANUAL does not matter...YEAR matters with this circuit.

Now onto the actual question. You can just jumper NSW and STA at one of your interior body plugs, which is the equivalent of having the NSS on your clutch pedal assembly. You can also do it at the trans plug like mentioned as well. Either way will heed the same results. NOW, keep in mind, this is basically a bypass. Your car will NOW START without the clutch pedal depressed.

QuickSC4 is correct, using your original auto harness will give you the least amount of problems considering there are a few other wiring changes between a 93 and 95 harness that would need to be addressed for the 95 harness to work in your 93 chassis properly.
Old 10-18-12, 07:30 AM
A32Boost
Rookie

thing is i purchased the car as a rolling shell, and it was previously 1J powered auto. and i purchased the motor tranny and 5speed ecu all together all from the same car so in a way i have to make do with all i have.. as far as transmission plug, i dont have that only thing i had was all the plugs that was in the interior connected to the stock auto shifter trim
Old 10-18-12, 07:42 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Is the chassis wiring still in the car? Just have the 95 harness converted to work in a 93 chassis then. As long as your engine bay wiring, under hood fuseboxes, and under dash harness are still there, just alter the engine harness.
Old 10-18-12, 07:47 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

You are very confusing lol , Now tell me what you are trying to do.

what car is auto ? what car is manual? what car are you gonna drive? what engine and what ecu you have or wanna run?
Old 10-18-12, 08:14 AM
A32Boost
Rookie

Originally Posted by TweakTech
Is the chassis wiring still in the car? Just have the 95 harness converted to work in a 93 chassis then. As long as your engine bay wiring, under hood fuseboxes, and under dash harness are still there, just alter the engine harness.
yes the 93 auto bay harness is still installed and i have the 95 5spd engine harness installed, i was going to install the 95 5speed bay harness to simplify the whole alt. plug issue. once i have the 95 5speed bay harness and the 95 engine harness mated together in the car, what else would i need to do beside the NSS bypass?

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
You are very confusing lol , Now tell me what you are trying to do.

what car is auto ? what car is manual? what car are you gonna drive? what engine and what ecu you have or wanna run?
i only have 1 car which is a 93 auto shell that i installed a '95 5speed engine/5 speed tranny/harness/ecu

1. There was no alt. plug (Because im using a 93 body harness and 95 Engine Harness)
2. The car would not crank (im guessing the NSS switch)
3. Now that i remember, i didnt see the CEL on when the key was on the ON position (but all the other normal dash lights were)
Old 10-18-12, 08:45 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Ok so easy there is 2 wires on the big tranny plug and you will be good to go!

let me see if i can find the thread for you.
Old 10-18-12, 09:39 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Don't waste your time and money on a 95 bay harness when you NEED to use a 94 or older engine harness......I mean, unless you really like doing it the hard way.
Old 10-18-12, 11:02 AM
A32Boost
Rookie

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Ok so easy there is 2 wires on the big tranny plug and you will be good to go!

let me see if i can find the thread for you.
ok cool, but where would the tranny plug be located since im using a 5spd harness?

Originally Posted by TweakTech
Don't waste your time and money on a 95 bay harness when you NEED to use a 94 or older engine harness......I mean, unless you really like doing it the hard way.
i already bought the 95 bay harness
Old 10-22-12, 11:29 AM
A32Boost
Rookie

anybody knows why would the previous owner do this?

Quick Reply: need a little electrical help on 5speed swap