Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

another weird issue please Help my daily

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 10:46 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another weird issue please Help my daily

need help pulling codes if someone can PM me.

Like i said this is my daily im new to the sc300 ive owned a few 400's in the past but my 1st 2jz
No CEL

will idle just fine then bad miss on at least 2 cylinders and raw fuel smell/smoke from tails.
i have replaced all fuel injectors and did cap/plugs/plug wires and rotor.

will be running just fine then start missing and smoking.....i put in netural and rev it up.

looks like heavy carbon on a couple plugs, i even unbolted exaust after cat to make sure i was getting flow

no water in oil or and antifreeze is perfect and clear.....

what is my next stepi drove it for an hour yesterday no issues.....took to work this morn and missing/died once restarted just fine

Help 1993 sc300 172K not original engine has a 95 in it
Old 10-09-12, 11:27 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

In any idling situation with a Lexus, the first 5 thing's I check is 1, see if any vacuum hoses are broken or gone. 2. unplug the MAF and see if it does it without the MAF plugged in. 3. Check spark plugs. 4. See how dirty the IACV is. and 5. last and least, replace the TPS. Just my 2 cents.
(Highly unlikely but you can check the throttle drive cable. if it is at all loose or has any slack tighten it. It is under the plastic cover which is above the throttle body on the front left side of the engine bay.
There are threads on pulling codes so search it up on the internet with "Lexus" at the end. Clublexus is sure to pop up. GL
Old 10-09-12, 12:21 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had these problems too. I cleaned the IACV, replaced the MAF, and finally replaced the ECU

A few months later the fuel pump took a dump so I replaced that and did the 12v mod.

All of the problems went away and I've been doing well since February.
Old 10-09-12, 12:28 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

pulling codes is easy

get a paper clip or a wire with two bare ends and insert one end in terminal Te1 and the other end in e1 with your car in neutral and car off.

then count the flashes on your CEL , it gives you 2 numbers one at a time, for example your engine light flashes 3 times then takes a pause , then flashes 6 times then takes a pause, then repeats this process,,,,,your code would be 36.

also watch out for multiple codes, and dont worry it keeps repeating it until u remove the wire so dont stress if u dont get it the first time, just keep watching and pay attention ull figure it out.

im going out soon but u can pm me if u get confused about it , or hopefulyl someone else can chime in.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 10-09-12 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 01:01 PM
Shane7213
Driver School Candidate

where's the terminals?

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-09-12, 01:10 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

under the drivers side dash ,,down to the left where your feet are,,,there is also a terminal in the engine bay but i have no experience using that one.
Old 10-09-12, 01:13 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Might be the coil. Try pulling the codes and report back. I can tell you what they are. GL
Old 10-09-12, 06:20 PM
powerjunky
Pole Position

updates.....cleaned idle control thing and TPS....

maf makes a change when disconeccted
tps makes a change when loosened and rotated
idle control sensor connector self destructed in my hand into pcs and doesnt seam to make a change if its connected or not.

pullled plugs and 4 and 5 are wet w/ gas all others look like they are burning fine

also sounds like maybe rear cat is rattling or rattle in the exhaust even though i have flow out the back. i disconnected after the front cat to rule out front cat clogged....next step disconnect after rear cat

seams to be running a little better but huge loss of power and excessive fuel consumption, burned a half
a tank in 60 miles....wtf

i need the pig tail connecter for the idle control and another idle control thing....anyone

wth do i do next.....me and my wife have 4 kids.....family of 6 and we need 3 running cars

also i might add that i just got the car 8 months ago and it has had a motor swap w/ what appears to be a 95' 2jz....lots of hoses are plugged and the TB only has 1 vacum on top....i will send pics as i can figure our vacum routings as i dont have all the connection as listed on hood

Last edited by powerjunky; 10-09-12 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 06:35 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

did u pull the codes yet man ? that is always the first thing you do.
Old 10-09-12, 08:02 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

What kind of changes did the MAF make when you unplugged it? Rough idle? Try driving it with it unplugged and see if you can get that problem to come up. The TPS will make changes to the idle and overall performance of the vehicle if moved around. This part would be one of the last thing's I would replace, especially before the ECU. What do you mean exactly when the IACV self destructed itself in your hands? It exploded into pieces? Was the tip dirty? Carbon on the tip of an IACV will cause such problems. I recently did a DIY on how to clean the IACV. Check it out if you want to clean it. Are you sure the spark plugs had gasoline on them or was it brand new oil? I've never heard of gas reaching the spark plugs... FYI, I do have an IACV for sale it's used and was just cleaned. Came off a U pull and pay vehicle so...About the burning too much fuel deal, well I would first check for leaks or cracked fuel lines and such. You can loose lots of gas that way. Defenetly pull the codes like the others are saying, it will rule out some other parts that won't need replacing.
IMHO, I would personally think the problem is the MAF, or AFM depending on what year your SC is.
Just pull code and see what comes up! GL!

EDIT: Just noticed you mentioned in first post that there is no CEL? is that a typo? Lexus check engine lights go off if you barf too close to it....

Last edited by SC400slide; 10-09-12 at 08:06 PM. Reason: reason shown
Old 10-10-12, 04:58 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

i will try and pull codes today

the connector that plugs into the IACV crumbled so i need to splice in a new connector
i have it plugged in and all pins are engauged...yes it was dirty w/ light carbon i cleaned it....but it didnt seam to make a differance if it was plugged in or not......maybe the issues?

no CEL at all, bad miss, huge power loss feels like running on 4 cylinders. its hit and miss will run fine then start stumbling and wither at idle or in motion.

when it starts the stumbling rough miss smoke comes out the tails and is heavy gas smell

running way rich

replaced all 6 fuel injectors, cap,rotor,plugs and plug wires so far
Old 10-10-12, 09:52 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

OK, Something we all forgot to do in the first place is to reset the ECU. I also have a question. Did you clean the MAF? In this case yours would be an AFM. in 1995 They changed the way the Air flow reader works. Before 1995 the AFM, or air flow meter would use karmen vortex air meters to detect airflow. These parts are extremely delicate and cannot be cleaned with regular MAF cleaner. If you cleaned the AFM with regular liquid MAF cleaner your AFM is sure to fail. The only way you can clean the AFM is with a blower motor. Just some air blowing device, like a leaf blower or something. But whatever you do, don't touch it with that MAF cleaner. If you already have, replace the AFM and viola, hopefully. I don't think you can pull codes with no CEL, unless the bulb is out. (Mine on my SC is... ) So the connector harness of the IACV broke? Whenever you in the hood, you have to remember that the plastic has been in the elements for 19 years. DEFENITLY reset the ECU. Just disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it un-plugged for 20 or more minutes. This will force the car to re-learn all of it's procedures, like starting from scratch. Take a look at this thread. Rare when this happens but still a possibility. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ing-accel.html Hope all of this information helps you. GL again.
Old 10-10-12, 10:36 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400slide
OK, Something we all forgot to do in the first place is to reset the ECU. I also have a question. Did you clean the MAF? In this case yours would be an AFM. in 1995 They changed the way the Air flow reader works. Before 1995 the AFM, or air flow meter would use karmen vortex air meters to detect airflow. These parts are extremely delicate and cannot be cleaned with regular MAF cleaner. If you cleaned the AFM with regular liquid MAF cleaner your AFM is sure to fail. The only way you can clean the AFM is with a blower motor. Just some air blowing device, like a leaf blower or something. But whatever you do, don't touch it with that MAF cleaner. If you already have, replace the AFM and viola, hopefully. I don't think you can pull codes with no CEL, unless the bulb is out. (Mine on my SC is... ) So the connector harness of the IACV broke? Whenever you in the hood, you have to remember that the plastic has been in the elements for 19 years. DEFENITLY reset the ECU. Just disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it un-plugged for 20 or more minutes. This will force the car to re-learn all of it's procedures, like starting from scratch. Take a look at this thread. Rare when this happens but still a possibility. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ing-accel.html Hope all of this information helps you. GL again.
thaks for the tips i have not touched the maf afm at all.....only thing i did was unplug it and it seamed to idle rougher with out it plugged in......i will reset the ecu again....my cel bulb is good it lights up when i turn my key before i start engine. and has not come on or flashed. yes iacv connector crumbled.....i was able to stick it back into the iacv but did not seam to matter if it was connected or not as to the way the negine was running.

ill keep reading /seacrching

any idea where to get the 6 pin connector....i saw a few threads that said its a common toyota connector that can be had for 6 bucks....i need one if anyone has a link
Old 10-11-12, 05:55 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

ok after several searches and doing the basics....i must have a bad ECU....will confirm with this test

glad i found this cuz i was fixing to start a HG replacement this weekend....but im gonna hold off until i get an ECU

if anyone has a sc300 auto that will work in a 93 pm me

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...you-think.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ecu-issue.html
Old 10-11-12, 06:48 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Here you are. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...00-mt-ecu.html
Sure hope this works out for you! Remember to post what fixed it it helps!

Quick Reply: another weird issue please Help my daily