Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dual intank pump setup in SC300 tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 10:46 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dual intank pump setup in SC300 tank

Looking for insight on how you guys with 2 intank fuel pumps are running the hot wires through the tank.

I'm considering purchasing two of these relay harness's from Racetronix to hotwire my 2 Aeromotive 340lph pumps.

Link to racetronix universal harness: http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...WH-009&eq=&Tp=

I'm going to use the stock power wire to the stock fuel pump as the trigger wire. My question is how are you guys getting thicker wires through the tank lid AND maintaining a vapor free seal? I've read everything from JB welded / sealed bulkheads to running a bolt through with a grommet and nylon washers.

What is the best way to do this for 2 pumps and provide a solid connection to supply 30+ amps and keep it sealed properly??

Racetronix also makes a universal wiring bulkhead with 4 total wires (you can combine the 2 14 gauge wires for each pump to support the aeromotives 16amp draw). They are also teflon coated wires for ethanol compatibility.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=BCWS-001&Tp=

Examples from various other forums:

The only option left was to build my own. From the local fastener supplier I picked up some M8 nylon bolts and nuts, some M4 rod and nuts, and assorted o-rings. After drilling a hole through the center of the nylon bolt, it was tapped for M4 and the rod was threaded through it. The top was sealed with an o-ring, as was the bottom (not shown in the picture). Originally I tried to seal the bolt to the flange with the o-rings shown in the picture but that did not work out as they kept squeezing out from between the flange and bolt. So I switched to Dowty seals from the local hydraulic shop. A Dowty seal is basically a rubber o-ring encapsulated in a metal outer ring. The same type of seal is used to seal the tension bolt heads on the engine.

Last edited by HiPSI; 10-09-12 at 11:02 AM.