Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97-SC300: My V160 6spd swap thread (TONS of pics)

Old 11-07-14, 01:41 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LVsc300
Can you tell me about how much you spent on parts in total? it looks to me, that you did all the labor yourself, if not, could you include labor prices as well? This is a beautiful swap, it looks as if everything is brand new and no junk yard ****. Were did you get all your parts?
He listed all the parts and prices on the first page......and FYI if you cant do the work yourself....labor is going to be insane.....might as well double the cost of it
Old 11-07-14, 02:49 PM
LVsc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default understood

yah I can only imagine how much it will cost for labor, i plan to do most of it myself, but some of the fabrication and modifications I do not have the tools for. yah i probably sound like a noob haha but just tryin to prepare myself for the amount of money im puttin into this. i can just hope it turns out as nice as this one.
Old 11-14-14, 03:48 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Really nice to see such a nice home for the V160 kudos on maintaining that pursuit. Quick question, I see that the cross member was a direct fit, what a nice feeling that must have been however, there are conflicting experiences with this. Do you think the X-member would still line up as it does for the 2JZ-GE for the 1UZ? I see that ScottURNot's application needed a custom X-member. Also, do you not need an adapter plate for the 2JZGE->V160 conversion.

Kind Regards.

Nick from Toronto.
Old 11-14-14, 05:48 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rollexus
Really nice to see such a nice home for the V160 kudos on maintaining that pursuit. Quick question, I see that the cross member was a direct fit, what a nice feeling that must have been however, there are conflicting experiences with this. Do you think the X-member would still line up as it does for the 2JZ-GE for the 1UZ? I see that ScottURNot's application needed a custom X-member. Also, do you not need an adapter plate for the 2JZGE->V160 conversion.

Kind Regards.

Nick from Toronto.
You do not need an adapter for v160 on a 2jzge....its the exact same....although you will need the the v160 flywheel and clutch
Old 11-15-14, 05:57 AM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
You do not need an adapter for v160 on a 2jzge....its the exact same....although you will need the the v160 flywheel and clutch
Hello CatMan, thank you so much for your response, after some googling I found that the 2JZGE came with the 6 speed, as did it's big borther, the 2JZGTE. My biggest question is will that cross member fit for the conversion that I am piecing together currently for an SC400 1UZ. If memory serves me correctly Scotturnot had to manufacture something as it did not line up for him. Ideal would have the same situation as was experienced here.

I am thinking the offset in displacement (ie, cross member not lining up) is a product of the 1UZ, and the adapter plate that we need to use for the 1UZ conversion. If this is the case, not sure how I would feel about a tranny that does not line up perfectly as it did in this perfect scenario.

Nice Mod,

Nick from Toronto.
Old 11-15-14, 06:53 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There seems to be a bit of fab work required to get the v160 on the 1uz so you might as well go with a 350Z transmission at that point if you're doing all the same stuff. save a bunch of money. with the 2jz non vvti the blocks are identical for all practical purposes from what i can tell so all of that is plug and play.

i want a V160 bad but the admission fee before all the manual swap stuff is prohibitively expensive in my case.

97-SC300's car is perfect IMO. literally perfect.
Old 11-15-14, 01:12 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Albatross
There seems to be a bit of fab work required to get the v160 on the 1uz so you might as well go with a 350Z transmission at that point if you're doing all the same stuff. save a bunch of money. with the 2jz non vvti the blocks are identical for all practical purposes from what i can tell so all of that is plug and play.

i want a V160 bad but the admission fee before all the manual swap stuff is prohibitively expensive in my case.

97-SC300's car is perfect IMO. literally perfect.
Hello Albatross, thank your for your response. Actually, we already have the tranny and the complete rear sub frame with the diff and pumpkin. That is all out of the way. We even have the odds and ends such as the trans tunnel, 1UZ->V160 adpater plate, clutch pedal, master cylinder etc... Waiting on a flywheel from Fidanza, and clutch from RPS. My question at this point is still, done in the same manner as was done here, will the x-member line up just as nice with the 1UZ?!?!? If we take it a step back, are the tranny threads on the SC300 chassis in a different location then the SC400? If not, I will "mock up" the swap around the cross member, and work out the bugs from there. As opposed to the other way around.... Please help

Kind Regards,

Nick from Toronto.

Last edited by rollexus; 11-15-14 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 02:26 PM
quicksil98
Driver School Candidate

Default tunnel conversion

What size drill do you use for the spot welds and what rivet size do you use....
Old 01-26-15, 12:09 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quicksil98
What size drill do you use for the spot welds and what rivet size do you use....
get a "spot weld cutter". they are made specifically for that purpose.
Old 01-26-15, 02:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

some aftermarket transmission mounts are slotted if we are talking just the width of an adapter, more than that yeah might have to modify the mount. check out Xcessive manufacturing's mounts they are expensive but slotted.
Old 02-08-15, 04:08 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely a 5 Star build!
Old 02-09-15, 04:39 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Definitely a 5 Star build!
Thanks Steve, You're a mod now?

Shoot me a text bro, I got a new cellphone and didn't transfer any of my old contacts.
Old 02-10-15, 03:53 AM
kartel876
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep up the great work I just showed this build to some haters at my job who aren't into this kinda thing but I straightened them up lol
Old 02-10-15, 11:24 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rollexus
Hello Albatross, thank your for your response. Actually, we already have the tranny and the complete rear sub frame with the diff and pumpkin. That is all out of the way. We even have the odds and ends such as the trans tunnel, 1UZ->V160 adpater plate, clutch pedal, master cylinder etc... Waiting on a flywheel from Fidanza, and clutch from RPS. My question at this point is still, done in the same manner as was done here, will the x-member line up just as nice with the 1UZ?!?!? If we take it a step back, are the tranny threads on the SC300 chassis in a different location then the SC400? If not, I will "mock up" the swap around the cross member, and work out the bugs from there. As opposed to the other way around.... Please help

Kind Regards,

Nick from Toronto.
unless the 1UZ to V160 adapter plate spaces it back, then as far as i know you will have to modify the mounting location for the transmission mount, because it is going to sit a bit more forward. From what i've seen with 350z trans swaps, the 1UZ swaps have the shifter further forward than 2JZ swaps.

Marko
Old 04-23-15, 12:03 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Thanks for the detailed write up man.....This really helped me on doing the 6 spd tunnel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97-SC300: My V160 6spd swap thread (TONS of pics)