Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Removed resonators. i am dissapoint.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 01:27 PM
Bassrocker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed resonators. i am dissapoint.

SO my buddy's friend has a Sc400 and he left all the stock piping, left the resonators and just cut the mufflers off and it was LOUD like open headers loud even with 3 resonators and cats.

somone else i know has a corolla AE86 with a 1uz and a 5 speed swap that has no cat, a glasspack, and a single magnaflow muffler and i really like the tone of that and it is super quiet at idle (quieter then my sc for some reason??) but it really wakes up with revs and even at WOT it is at tolerable levels. (quieter then my chevy truck with a high flow cat and a single in dual out magnaflow muffler)

anywho i just got sick of driving around in a virtually silent car today and got the midle two resonators removed and it did nothing almost nothing it is just enough louder for you to notice a difference at all but im thinking i just wasted my money. i know the factory mufflers are way quieter but i cant afford new mufflers right now and also im not sure what im going to do now because from my research the piping on sc400s was 2.25 but the muffler shop told me mine is 2 inches so right when i think i had it narrowed down between a few mufflers but now back to the drawing board.

now im just weighing my options from what i have gathered there is no real performance gain by having a really nice exhaust with the sc400 that being said if you modd it incorrectly then you can lose power and torque (the guy with the oem mufflers hacked off said he lost a bit of power from a stop) the owner muffler shop says that i should leave it how it is only deleate the factory mufflers and put glasspacks. im kinda liking the idea of true duals even though i know it is probably just more weight and not any faster. also there is the sound quality and volume to consider. i really want the volume of my chevy truck with the highflow cat and the 18 or 20 inch case magnaflow muffler. however my friends corolla it just sounded a bit too "smooth" to me with the magnaflow installed i like a little of crack and pop and burbly brubly sound not just a VROOOM sound that gets louder and quieter.

sorry for my long post but im wrapping it up right here what do you think of true duals on a sc400? is it worth it? will running glasspacks reduce performance in any way? any reccomendtaions on a good muffler right now im between hooker aerochamber, spintechs, possibly magnaflow again. are DC sports any good? i tried youtube and cant find any vids with a v8 most are 4cyls i know a few members or x members run/ran them but not sure because they found them on sale (like me i work at a parts store and the DC sports mufflers are on sale right now can get them for ~$50 each thanks for the input.
Old 09-21-12, 03:28 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

yea i had my exhaust disconnected at the y pipe (x pipe?) and i swear my car was noticably slower, I think most people here get ehaust sysems and mufflers mostly for the sound it makes, I dont think it really adds much power.

I like the quiet stock ones,they give a little rumble when u push it, very nice actually.
Old 09-21-12, 03:55 PM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gutted cats, and primary resonator is gutted as well. The rear resonators are deleted off my setup and I have Mustang GT500 mufflers. She really sounds like a V8 now, but it's not a loud overbearing sound. Still quite until I lay into the throttle a bit.