Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What would cause my Fuel Pump to stay ON after I turn off the car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 11:08 PM
Bleak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause my Fuel Pump to stay ON after I turn off the car?

Old thread for reference:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ebody-kit.html

^Thread summarized: My sc would throw a code 14, and would get a sort of fuel cut off/stutter while driving. After grounding out my battery completely by running wires from the battery to the engine, and the engine to the chassis the problem completely went away. This, paired with my drain issue being caused by my fuel pump which I still haven't figured out has given me a big, big headache.

Currently,

My fuel pump will not shut off after I turn off the car. It was draining my battery until I figured out that it was staying on all the time. So for the time being, I have to go to the back of the trunk, disconnect the fuel pump harness and then connect it again when I want to drive it to prevent battery drain. It stumped me for over a YEAR because I would keep buying new batteries and they resisted the drain for a few months, then the problem would appear again after the battery started to weaken from the drain. (Regardless...)

So I figured out the previous owner did the 12v fuel ecu bypass mod by connecting the two wires... And I checked my main EFI fuel fuse in the fuse box in the front. It keeps getting EXTREMELY hot. Initially I swapped the defroster fuse with the EFI and the fuel pump would shut off like normal again, but then after driving it for the rest of the day the problem came back and hasn't gone away since.

Now, where do I go from here? I couldn't find anything in the search/google because every thread I find remains inconclusive. The last resort thing to do here would be a kill switch running to the main EFI, but I rather do this the right way.

any ideas?

also if someone could tell me why my SC idles at 3k. I would really appreciate it, lol.

Last edited by Bleak; 09-18-12 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-19-12, 08:20 PM
Piratse
Rookie

This could be multiple problems at once. The idle at 3k could be TPS, ECU or MAS. Check those and try to eliminate the possibilities(could also be related to fuel pump/regulator). The fuel pump; did you actually check the 12v mod to see if it was done correctly or if it is shorting out? In your post you just say "I figured." It's easy to get to the wires I would start there and report back. If they are not soldered and heat shrunk I would re-do them to be safe.
Old 09-19-12, 09:04 PM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by Piratse
This could be multiple problems at once. The idle at 3k could be TPS, ECU or MAS. Check those and try to eliminate the possibilities(could also be related to fuel pump/regulator). The fuel pump; did you actually check the 12v mod to see if it was done correctly or if it is shorting out? In your post you just say "I figured." It's easy to get to the wires I would start there and report back. If they are not soldered and heat shrunk I would re-do them to be safe.
Yeah they're not soldered or anything. They were literally just wrapped together. I'll re-do them today with what I have on hand which is to atleast crimp them together using wire clips. The TPS was already replaced, and by MAS you're referring to the Mass Airflow sensor?
Old 09-21-12, 07:15 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

my efi relay would over heat, turns out i bought a new one from toyota (they still use the relay in their cars today) for 12$ and no more fuel pump issues.

To me i would test the relay by putting it in and trying to see if you can get the pump to stay on. then take off the pump and put a stripped short wire or paper clip in place of the relay and see if the pump stays on
Old 09-22-12, 12:12 AM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by bryan767
my efi relay would over heat, turns out i bought a new one from toyota (they still use the relay in their cars today) for 12$ and no more fuel pump issues.

To me i would test the relay by putting it in and trying to see if you can get the pump to stay on. then take off the pump and put a stripped short wire or paper clip in place of the relay and see if the pump stays on
Did you ever swap your defroster relay in its place? I did that and it worked for like half a day and then the defroster relay overheated too and started to leave the fuel pump on again. Maybe a brand new EFI relay could be it.
Old 09-23-12, 10:42 AM
Piratse
Rookie

Yeah The airflow sensor COULD be a problem. In my cars case it was a bad ECU mixed with a bad fuel pump.
Old 09-26-12, 09:46 AM
Bleak
Driver

Ill check it.
Old 09-27-12, 12:01 PM
1UZStoked
Driver School Candidate

My SC400 started doing the same thing when I did the 12v mod. My problem was actually the ignition switch. When turning it off,trying pushing the key in while turning it off. My guess is theres a short in the switch causing it to stay on.
Old 09-28-12, 06:35 PM
Sciller
Driver

Originally Posted by bryan767

I had the same issue and this was killing my battery in five to six hours...changed it out and now she's fine!

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-29-12, 03:23 PM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by Sciller
I had the same issue and this was killing my battery in five to six hours...changed it out and now she's fine!

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
What did you change out?
Old 09-29-12, 08:49 PM
gambit4000
Driver School Candidate

A mechanically failing pump/poor flowing filter/fuel lines can cause a high amp draw, which in turn can weld the relay contacts together. This can give you warm/hot wiring/fuses/relay, constant fuel pump running, low power at WOT/High RPM.

I would do all of the following in this order:
swap the relay
measure the amperage the pump is drawing
measure parasitic drain
test fuel pressure

Swapping the relay may fix the problem in the short term, but if you have an underlying problem, it may reoccur.

That said, relays are a mass produced item, subjected to the last 20 years of heat, vibration and use, they do just "go bad"
Old 09-30-12, 09:19 AM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by gambit4000
A mechanically failing pump/poor flowing filter/fuel lines can cause a high amp draw, which in turn can weld the relay contacts together. This can give you warm/hot wiring/fuses/relay, constant fuel pump running, low power at WOT/High RPM.

I would do all of the following in this order:
swap the relay
measure the amperage the pump is drawing
measure parasitic drain
test fuel pressure

Swapping the relay may fix the problem in the short term, but if you have an underlying problem, it may reoccur.

That said, relays are a mass produced item, subjected to the last 20 years of heat, vibration and use, they do just "go bad"
When we were testing my fuel pressure not too long ago, it was constantly reading between 58-60. Is that normal?
Old 09-30-12, 01:51 PM
gambit4000
Driver School Candidate

Without having Lexus specific values, that should be about right. Check a fsm to be sure
edit 38-44psi no vac/KOEO 28-34psi idle

Last edited by gambit4000; 10-01-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-02-12, 11:55 PM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by gambit4000
Without having Lexus specific values, that should be about right. Check a fsm to be sure
edit 38-44psi no vac/KOEO 28-34psi idle
So I'm running way too high on pressure??