Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jzgte White smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 10:09 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jzgte White smoke

Hello, i have a 93 Sc300 with 1jzgte and r154. I recently just went single turbo a week ago exactly. last night i was driving home and my car stalled and i could smell somthing burning. Once i made it home i could still smell somthing being burnt but wasnt sure what. This morning i got in the car and started driving it, after anout 5 minutes of driving i pulled into a gas station and could still smell burning. 10mins later the car stalled again and wouldnt start. After a minute or two it started up but i heard rattling and i continued for another minute untill the burning smell came back and i pulled over, immediatly the car died and was having issues starting. I popped the hood and saw smoke coming from the spark plugs. I headed back home and the next time i stopped at a light it died again, after getting it started smoke came out of the exhaust and the spark plugs again. This time i stayed put and After about 15mins the smoke stopped coming out. I read it could be antifreeze burning or the ECU blew a cap. Any other ideas or comments? All input is appreciated!
Old 09-09-12, 10:16 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

if your smoking from the engine bay it would be a ecu issue. what does the it smell like? does it smell sweet, or does it smell like burning oil?

the difference in smell could mean the difference in either just a loose oil line or a blown headgasket.. which btw is NOT fun changing.
Old 09-10-12, 07:31 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

White smoke - normally coolant
Blue(ish) smoke - normally oil
black smoke - fuel

Bryan767 is right too, you can tell a lot by the scent of the smoke.
Old 09-10-12, 08:45 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

It didnt smell sweet, i originally thought it was the clutch burning...im not sure what it smelt like exactly, just that somthing was burning. But worse case scenario i have a blow head gasket?
Old 09-10-12, 08:47 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Atleast i dont think it smelt sweet i should say rather than didnt.
Old 09-11-12, 10:53 AM
scmaluco
Driver

Originally Posted by TTschmitta
Hello, i have a 93 Sc300 with 1jzgte and r154. I recently just went single turbo a week ago exactly. last night i was driving home and my car stalled and i could smell somthing burning. Once i made it home i could still smell somthing being burnt but wasnt sure what. This morning i got in the car and started driving it, after anout 5 minutes of driving i pulled into a gas station and could still smell burning. 10mins later the car stalled again and wouldnt start. After a minute or two it started up but i heard rattling and i continued for another minute untill the burning smell came back and i pulled over, immediatly the car died and was having issues starting. I popped the hood and saw smoke coming from the spark plugs. I headed back home and the next time i stopped at a light it died again, after getting it started smoke came out of the exhaust and the spark plugs again. This time i stayed put and After about 15mins the smoke stopped coming out. I read it could be antifreeze burning or the ECU blew a cap. Any other ideas or comments? All input is appreciated!
pull the dipstick and check the oil.. milky? brown. like water mixed with oil? pull the plugs check if its wet or what not. check your radiator cap for the same milky brown color.. and if you think its the ecu open it up and check for leaking capacitors.
Old 09-11-12, 04:58 PM
TTschmitta
Driver

Originally Posted by scmaluco
pull the dipstick and check the oil.. milky? brown. like water mixed with oil? pull the plugs check if its wet or what not. check your radiator cap for the same milky brown color.. and if you think its the ecu open it up and check for leaking capacitors.
The oil was normal but the radiator was basically dry. Im no DIY guy so itll be hard for me to check the ECU. My mechanic thinks the oil pump may hve gave out and there might not be any oil pressure. Also i forgot to mention that i did have low compression in the rear cylinder when i got it checked when purchasing the car, which is concerning mean since the smoke was coming out from whete the spark plugs are located.