Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13, 12:08 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More updates!!!

Installed Torsen 4.08 Supra MK4 N/A JDM differential, Edge Racing 2800rpm Torque Converter, LS400 BBK,

This video is done with the 4th solenoid mod, I never had the solenoid off for the other vids. I also did some highway runs with an RB25 240x, rx7, g37, 330i and a Trans AM tonight.

At the end I raced a nice 330i, stock tune. The 1UZ definitely had more torque though and was quicker off the horn, but the 330i was manual with better gearing for highway so it pulled on me. When I get my FIC 8 in with a tune it should beat the 330i no problem on the highway. Off launch I'm pretty sure I would smoke it.

Next week I'll use some nitrous against some of these cars. Should be able to beat the g37, 330i and Trans AM easily. If I put a 150 shot I'm sure I could keep up with the RX7 and RB25 240sx.

I just want to point out that I'm accelerating from the same point and braking at the same point down the same straightaway. It gives you a good idea of how the mods affected acceleration. WIth the Torsen 4.08 and 2800rpm torque converter I can hit 140 km/h where as before with just the Transgo kit I was only able to hit 130km/h. Obviously this is not a drag strip comparison but it gives a good idea of the difference in performance. When I was doing highway runs my 3rd gear runs out a bit quicker now. All in all as a street car the lower gears are more fun.

Edit: (Sept 6th 2013): I wrote this in my build thread. Thought I'd share it here in regards to the 4th solenoid and Transgo shift kit:

I have the 4th solenoid mod wired on a switch. When the solenoid is off, you can really tell the increased line pressure through the transmission. By moving the shift lever from park to drive it really jerks hard into drive. With the solenoid on, it doesn't have this huge jerk. Since I have the Transgo Shift Kit I already have boosted line pressure so the effects of the 4th solenoid mod are more pronounced. Although I do notice the increased line pressure when switching from park to drive, the increased line pressure is not noticed when going WOT or changing gears. This is probably because the 4th solenoid is there to gradually increase the line pressure. So with the 4th solenoid set to on, my line pressure at a stop is normal and then increased to full line pressure when shifting at WOT. With the 4th solenoid mod off, my line pressure is at max all the time.

For these reasons, I actually just drive around with the 4th solenoid mod ON like stock. I have comfortable lexus like shifting at low speed and great crisp shifting with the Transgo at WOT. I have to do further testing if the increased pressure of the 4th solenoid mod gives me better times, but to be honest from a seat of the pants feeling it does not. I could see if someone did not have the Transgo kit, that the 4th solenoid mod would be a very small upgrade. The 4th solenoid mod however does not compare to the effect of the Transgo shift kit at all.

I have the Hot Rod setting on my Transgo kit. The hot rod setting is simply the size you drill the holes in your valve body. The kit comes with two drill bits; Truck sized and Hot Rod sized. The hot sized are larger and will make your auto chirp your tires during WOT shifts. It is a great setting for fun but for all out 1/4 mile time performance it is probably not. I think a drill size between truck and hot rod would be ideal. I've never tried truck setting, but if you were you could start with it and then go up from there. I'd imagine a drill bit size right under Hot Rod would be just perfect. I'm just worried when I slap on my supercharger that my rear is going to get squirly on shfits with Hot Rod settings. Transgo shift kit a huge thumbs up.

Last edited by Clean400; 09-06-13 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-19-13, 08:51 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good thread.awesome mod to us auto guys.i'm going to start collecting parts to do this.i'm NA-T now looking for close to 700hp.ill need to get the sprag to.
Old 12-16-13, 12:28 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Does eBay sell the HD kit?
Old 12-16-13, 06:43 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Summitracing has it for $100
Old 12-17-13, 04:51 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

So what did it cost for them to install the kit for you? It seemed like it took a while, just curious because I want it done right, and I'm on a budget.
Old 12-17-13, 05:16 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your talking about me, I installed it myself. Took about 4-5 hours for me to do it. I had never broken open a auto trans before..
Old 01-04-14, 06:50 PM
EdGyWoN
Driver School Candidate

This is a great write up. Thank you for the info. I've been trying to find auto options, since I don't have the time or resources to do a manual swap. I am curious, have you found any adverse effects on the transmission though? Gear wear etc... my boy had this done to his 92 supra and had to rebuild his trans after a couple trips to the drag stip.... he is pushing around 900hp however, He does say this shift kit was well worth it though. My only concern is my sc is a daily driver...

Last edited by EdGyWoN; 01-04-14 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-06-14, 12:33 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

4-5 hours on your own sounds about right. My tuner who is a guru with transmission did it in 2-3. Charged me 2 hours.

As for adverse effects, NONE so far. Transmission has been rock solid. In fact it feels way more solid with this mod than stock. I think the transmission is actually going to last longer with the Transgo Mod, because the auto loves to slip the gears to get the stock lexus like shifting.

I've had this mod since day 1 and never had a problem with it. My auto even has a high stall torque converter, 4.08 gears and torsen lsd. No problems! I have a transmission cooler but you don't need one if your just installing the transgo. I'd only recommend a trans cooler if your installing a high stall torque converter.

BTW those old videos I had was with an unfinished BFI that I badly screwed up. With the BFI you need to pull down part of the plastic inside the front bumper so it can scoop air. I never did this so all of the air the intake was pulling in was from an enclosed box inside the front bumper. Now that my BFI is complete and it is actually getting air rammed from the front of the car, it's noticeably quicker than before.
Old 04-16-14, 08:53 AM
Fubari33t
Driver School Candidate

I'm doing the HD2 kit tonight. I've read through your post, and you stated a Line Pressure. That is controlled by the cable going to your throttle body. You can adjust this anytime you want. The ECT PWR button really only controls shift points, as in PWR mode makes it shift later. The shift Kit takes this away from the ECU, and makes the PWR mode INOP. Although relay involved the PWR button can be used to control the 4th Anti-Squat Solenoid. Most who have installed the HD2 kit adjust this cable to make it firmer, or softer depending on what they feel like. pretty easy. But line pressure is pretty much Mechanical biased of your foot. (pre-5 speed auto)
Old 04-17-14, 05:24 AM
Fubari33t
Driver School Candidate

If Clean400 does not mind, I would like to add to this post. If doing this yourself!!! it's a easy job. Messy, but easy. The instructions that come with the kit are great, they even cover little knick-knack stuff that "Likes to fall out" and where it goes. freakin awesome. About 2 quarts will come out of the pan. But much MUCH more can/will come out once you loosen the valve body. This could of been simply the angle my car was at, I just had two jack stands in front. I messed up in one spot, Very fixable. I forgot to aline the Manual valve to the Pin in the linkage. Just a pan drop and it's fixed. Follow the steps and your gravy. The kit covers 4 different Valve bodies for the A series Toy Transmissions. Our's (92-96?) is type 4. You will have stuff left over that goes to the first 3 style of valve bodies. I'll comment on how it shifts once i reconnect the valve and get it out of 4th gear

Last edited by Fubari33t; 04-17-14 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 04:58 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Not a problem Fubarai! The more people that add to it the better.

Let me know your experience! What setting did you drill? Hot Rod, Truck, or something in between?
Old 01-14-15, 02:12 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

I finally got the 340-HD2 kit.but I took my valve body off and my valve body has mush more solenoids then the one in the picture of the instructions.so I have no clue which of the four types is mine.so I know which installation to follow.i have a gte vvti transmission the 30-40ls model.anyone can shine a light for me please?
thank you
Old 03-27-15, 06:39 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean400

This is some key information to modifying the Valve body.

It shows exactly where to drill and what sizes to enlarge the holes. There is Truck and Hotrod settings. I chose Hot Rod.

Is this the same on the Aristo trans? Or are there different plates for different A340's? What about the GS300? Hoping you still have the sheet for all of the different plates and can post them.

Last edited by williamb82; 03-27-15 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-08-15, 01:59 AM
soloist3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love this thread, I was wondering if anyone has compared the transgo 340-HD2 kit vs. the SK340 kit? I am into mods that I can reverse if need be and am not looking for neck breaking shifts, rather shifts that are closer to the speed of my IS350, smooth but quicker. I have a feeling the SK340 is probably the way to go, I will search around some more but I will leave this here, just in case the OP or someone that was reading this thread ever installed the SK340 kit and could compare
Old 10-14-15, 02:19 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The SK340 it's just a rebuild, it'll make the shifts just as hard and fast as new. Not really noticeable. You could install the HD kit but instead, drill the softer setting (like no one did,lol)

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.