Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Brian Crower 1jz 264 camshaft results.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 02:56 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomLight
what about what i've read. people using 2jzgte cams, and just having the end of the cam where the number one Camshaft cap is machined down to fit inside a 1j head.

does that yeild any practical numbers? or better to get the BC 264s
This can and has been done the original idea was take a set of TT USDM 2J cams machine the front of the cam and presto a 2j approx 258 cam in a 1 J with a little better lift and duration for reasonable money.
But now that 1 J cams have become more common place the cost versus reward is now in favor of just doing Aftermarket cams.

Also a set of 264's with the right supporting mods is lethal, while still retaining most of the Lexus idling characteristics.
Once you go 272's in a 1 J your vacuum goes to **** the idle gets lumpy and the iacv will struggle to keep up so a standalone is highly recommend or you will probably hate life with you baby turned Biatch. ROFL

Last edited by blk&blu*j; 10-08-12 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-12, 01:37 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
This can and has been done the original idea was take a set of TT USDM 2J cams machine the front of the cam and presto a 2j approx 258 cam in a 1 J with a little better lift and duration for reasonable money.
But now that 1 J cams have become more common place the cost versus reward is now in favor of just doing Aftermarket cams.

Also a set of 264's with the right supporting mods is lethal, while still retaining most of the Lexus idling characteristics.
Once you go 272's in a 1 J your vacuum goes to **** the idle gets lumpy and the iacv will struggle to keep up so a standalone is highly recommend or you will probably hate life with you baby turned Biatch. ROFL
Indeed!!
Old 10-17-12, 11:46 PM
Blakenz
Driver School Candidate

Dyno graphs BC 264 cams v stock.
Attached Thumbnails Brian Crower 1jz 264 camshaft results.-blake181012a.jpg   Brian Crower 1jz 264 camshaft results.-blake181012b.jpg  
Old 10-18-12, 12:00 AM
Blakenz
Driver School Candidate

The red and pink lines relate to a 1JZ soarer with manual trans, a T60-1 turbo(16psi), with .6? exhaust housing. Tuning was only done with a SAFC 2. Results/power figures would likely be better with proper programmable engine management. The boost response graphs show virtually identical spool/ response.
The Blue lines(hand drawn) relate to the car first mentioned at the top of the thread. A 1jz soarer with auto trans, HKS f-con iS piggyback ECU, 18psi, stock turbos. I didn't graph below 4000rpm, as the (worn) trans was struggling to cope with the power and so getting clean runs was impossible.
The two cars' actual figures perhaps shouldn't be directly compared with each other, as they were on two different dynos, though both the same brand.
One car gains more power overall , through a broader rev range, and doesn't tail off like the stock cams. The other car appears to be held back by either the exhaust housing or too small a diameter down pipe(owner speculation).
Old 10-18-12, 05:37 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread just keeps getting better by the day...

I love my BC stage 2 264's. I installed them and never looked back...
Old 10-28-12, 01:08 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ how hard was the install??
Old 11-14-12, 10:07 AM
1J240SX76
Driver School Candidate

Wow. What a plethora of great info!! I'm in the research phase and have decided on a 1J for my 240. Had a shimming issue with my SR and yeah.. its toast. The shimless bucket mod seems like a no brainer. Also the 264s seem to be the way to go as well. I'm just looking for modest power. I think 450-500 will be sufficient for my needs. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-15-13, 07:05 PM
Kire
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
This thread has gotten very interesting. I just dropped mine in and reused the stock shims. I was within specs on both the OEM and the BC 264 specs on both sides, intake and exhaust. I didnt ever drive the car before the tune was done. I could only imagine how the 1JZ would be without the stage 2 cams. I thought the stage 3 would be too aggressive for me and my HP goal at the time.
Stupid question but I'm going with 264 cams and after reading this, it appears that a valve adjustment probably won't be necessary. I just have to make sure my valves are within the correct specs right?
Old 08-15-13, 08:17 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just dropped my cams in. no worries.

later i decided to check since everyone was guilting me into thinking i might have excessive clearance. and sure enough it was .15mm on the intake perfect all the way up from 1 to 6 and .25mm on the exhaust. no reshimming required.

and yes you do feel the power in the top end with them installed. i too didnt want to get the 272's because of the springs and retainers stuff and reshimming. 272s are too aggressive for my own power goals. thats why i skipped them.
Old 08-15-13, 08:38 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

looks like the mid range powerband shifts to the right about 500 rpm, not bad!
Old 08-16-13, 09:24 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

264's on a 1J will shift the powerband to the right but it will keep the power past 7800 with the right combination of turbo,DP and rear housing size depending if its a gear car or an auto!!

it is not uncommon to be able to drop in 264's(BC) but still highly recommended to at least check the clearance from bucket to lobe.
Remember all 1 and 2 J stock heads have numerous size buckets in them and will sometimes play havoc if to tight in tolerance, which will scar the cam journal,cause a spring problem, scrub the shim off the bucket and cause valve float or in the worst case drop a valve due to to much pressure on the retainer/locks.

Dont be nervous.LOL
Old 08-16-13, 09:29 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kire
Stupid question but I'm going with 264 cams and after reading this, it appears that a valve adjustment probably won't be necessary. I just have to make sure my valves are within the correct specs right?
Not the valves the buckets are what pushes on the valve!!
Recommended to always check with any cam change!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-13, 08:46 PM
mrcoqui
Driver School Candidate

This probably an old thread, but where are the 1jz's that aren't running 264 cams . Whats the power look like for those? Anybody out there running it like this ? Don't be shy.
Old 09-24-13, 09:08 AM
Lokz
Driver

^^ Dyno sheet for 1jz on stock cams is already posted
Old 09-30-13, 01:27 AM
Blakenz
Driver School Candidate

the Dyno sheet i posted above(post number 63) includes both cars dyno results prior to the 264 camshaft installation. I was specifically trying to test "before and after".

Last edited by Blakenz; 09-30-13 at 01:28 AM. Reason: more info.

Quick Reply: Brian Crower 1jz 264 camshaft results.