Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Brian Crower 1jz 264 camshaft results.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 07:47 PM
drewdizzle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
The only problem with the BC cams were the fact that the dowels were known not to match the cam center line so a set of adjustable cam gears are needed to degree them in properly for the most gain.

I plan on running some 272's in my 1j though.
ok, that's a good tip right there, thank for that one.
Old 10-01-12, 08:10 PM
Medic91x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drewdizzle
Very good info, I am in the market for some cams and I was told by someone, which is a motor builder, that the BC cams weren't good. I don't take anybody's word without evidence, so i was a bit skeptical, i think this proves it. just curious.

1. what is your application? street, road race, drift, drag?
2. how does the cams change the mid-range hp/tq?

Thanks
The stock twins can really only flow so much CFM. The power actually seems pretty reasonable for a car on stock twins with an auto trans.

I think the gains would be more impressive on a good single turbo set-up.

If there is a better option than BC I'd like to know what it is.
Old 10-01-12, 08:20 PM
drewdizzle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Medic91x
The stock twins can really only flow so much CFM. The power actually seems pretty reasonable for a car on stock twins with an auto trans.

I think the gains would be more impressive on a good single turbo set-up.

If there is a better option than BC I'd like to know what it is.
Well I actually am running a single turbo Garrett GT35, aem ems v1, 850 injectors tial 44mvr, greddy intercooler. and all stock internals. I am competing in formula d pro ams so I am looking for a good mid range to high range power. at the moment my motor dogs out at under 3800 rpm so I know cams will help in that. just curious how much help and also want to know what the 1j community's consensus is on cams. I thought it was all about BC so this affirms that, just wondering if there is a better option.
Old 10-02-12, 04:19 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty good info here...im debating on which would be the best cams for me and my setup..264 or 272..I have a bws360 turbo but I plan to switch to a s366 cuz I wanna make 700whp.lmk ur opinion guys.
Old 10-02-12, 05:24 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewdizzle
Well I actually am running a single turbo Garrett GT35, aem ems v1, 850 injectors tial 44mvr, greddy intercooler. and all stock internals. I am competing in formula d pro ams so I am looking for a good mid range to high range power. at the moment my motor dogs out at under 3800 rpm so I know cams will help in that. just curious how much help and also want to know what the 1j community's consensus is on cams. I thought it was all about BC so this affirms that, just wondering if there is a better option.
what kind of power are you making with your setup? its pretty much identical to mine. except i am running AEM V2 and a 38mm Tial wastegate. just curious.

i dont have a tune yet.
Old 10-02-12, 05:41 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I know I've posted this a few times but this ?? keeps coming up so I post this link again.
Enjoy!

Old 10-02-12, 07:22 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 94_soarer
Pretty good info here...im debating on which would be the best cams for me and my setup..264 or 272..I have a bws360 turbo but I plan to switch to a s366 cuz I wanna make 700whp.lmk ur opinion guys.
If you are wanting to potentially move forward to the S366, as I have, I would go with stage 2. The reason I say this, is that these yield on average 50 rwhp gain just by dropping these in. If you want to change your head gasket and increase the amount of boost pressure to meet your goals and then some, then go with stage 3. This requires the valves and so on also to be bought from BC. A definite tune will need to be in the works, just to start your car. The stage 3 also may allow the motor to rev to the moon, maybe 9K rpm or so, which what I read on the SF. I only wanted 500 plus to the wheels on pump and be safe with my setup. I didn't want to keep pushing it until I was tired of the 522 I have now, which I am very pleased with.
Old 10-02-12, 09:38 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

That is the set up I am going with, S366 and 272 bc cams.
Old 10-02-12, 10:28 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

That is the set up I am going with, S366 and 272 bc cams.
Going to be another Biggu build with those cams...
Old 10-02-12, 01:28 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
I know I've posted this a few times but this ?? keeps coming up so I post this link again.
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZmnV0M3kHA
This car has BC 272's as well as 2j Ferrea dual springs, guides,seals, titanium retainers and locks kept the stock valves but soda blasted and we used shimless buckets and this car revs to 9500 rpm's.

You will need to do springs with a 272 and I highly recommend shimless buckets.
Old 10-02-12, 02:19 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Yea I am debating on the shimless buckets but that adds mega cost to the whole deal, I may try to find a prius at the yard and score the buckets then I will only have to buy 1/2 the amount of them.
Old 10-02-12, 02:26 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Yea I am debating on the shimless buckets but that adds mega cost to the whole deal, I may try to find a prius at the yard and score the buckets then I will only have to buy 1/2 the amount of them.
You mean to tell me that we can use the Prius buckets??? If so, I just learned something new today..
Old 10-02-12, 02:48 PM
drewdizzle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DoomLight
what kind of power are you making with your setup? its pretty much identical to mine. except i am running AEM V2 and a 38mm Tial wastegate. just curious.

i dont have a tune yet.
Yeah, looking at your specs I'd say they are almost identical. I dynoed my car at just a hair under 400hp. so it's 398 (no cams)
Old 10-02-12, 05:13 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
You mean to tell me that we can use the Prius buckets??? If so, I just learned something new today..
Haha yea prius buckets are the shim less ones everybody uses but I am still debating on going this way my self as I am looking for 500 on pump and 600+ on q16 all with a built auto.
I am just not sure how lazy the s366 with the 272's are going to be on the street but this will determine which way I go as far as the buckets go.

I have bc springs so they are good enough for the 272 cams but everything else I would like to leave stock as the budget for this build is out of control at this point
Old 10-02-12, 07:07 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Haha yea prius buckets are the shim less ones everybody uses but I am still debating on going this way my self as I am looking for 500 on pump and 600+ on q16 all with a built auto.
I am just not sure how lazy the s366 with the 272's are going to be on the street but this will determine which way I go as far as the buckets go.

I have bc springs so they are good enough for the 272 cams but everything else I would like to leave stock as the budget for this build is out of control at this point
The buckets most commonly used come from the MR2 Spyder just for the record.
We have been doing shimless buckets long before the Prius for the record.

Quick Reply: Brian Crower 1jz 264 camshaft results.