Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Heart Transplant

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 05:01 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Heart Transplant

One of these days I want to get another SC. Sometimes I sit around daydreaming about what I want to do with it.
Has anyone thought about transplanting an ISF engine into the SC?
Can it be done? Well, I'm sure it can cause anything can be done if you throw enough money at it but does it make sense?
Probably cost about 10K for the motor. No idea about the cost to frabricate and install but it's gotta be up there.
Just wanted to know what you SC experts think about the idea.

Maybe it would make more sense to tranplant the ISF motor into a 3GS since they have similar chasis.
Old 08-27-12, 06:03 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the 1st one to say "do it"! However most of the time there is an underlying advantage - a unique swap for show purposes, great engine in a great chassis, etc, etc... In this case I'm failing to see the advantage. Yeah the SC weighs a couple hundred pounds less, but the GS weighs more.. and you could make make twice the power for half the money you are considering spending on this swap through "traditional" methods. Now if it required minimal modification to fit into the GS platform (as opposed to the full on fabrication it would require in the SC) & would run in the same arena as your "every day" gte or 1jz swap, definitely. If you are doing it to be the trailblazer for this swap to create parts that you would manufacture to allow others to follow with less headache & expense, or building a show car, perfect. You will more thatn recoupe what you invested. Otherwise, I don't see the advantage...
Old 08-27-12, 06:15 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A motor with minimal aftermarket support and few shared parts going into a chassis which from the factory features a legendary, robust, well explored series of inline 6 motors? It's a huge uphill battle that will only yield something "different" at best. If a JZ can't make enough power for you then ya may need to look into the aerospace industry for a bit more thrust.

It's one of those pipe dreams that really have no demand so they will never really go much further. There are several other V8 options that can make more power for cheaper if your heart is set on an easy to modify V8. If you had an extra ISF motor laying around with the means to do the swap yourself, I would be all for it but in this case it doesn't make much sense. The electronics would be impossible to integrate without a standalone.
Old 08-27-12, 08:00 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be possible with a huge budget. But it would make more sense and cost way less to do an LS series swap if you wanted a V8. A bare isf block is $20k alone lol. And there is no stand alone for a usdm ecu.
Old 08-27-12, 08:58 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend of my father n law put a chevy small block into an sc with no problems. I was just thinking it would be easier to do a Lexus engine.
The comment abou it being easier to do an LS engine....I thought the ISF engine was the LS engine???

My goal is not to make insane power. I want something around 400 hp with 300 lbs of torque. I don't want a boosted 2JZ that breaks down every 6 months like many others I hear about. I don't want a race car tranny. I want a completely reliable Lexus with decent power.

It would also be cool to be the first one to try this......and yes, I did think about all the ways to make money off the project in the future.

Hey, I was just exercizing some brain cells.
Old 08-27-12, 09:07 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

"LS" meaning LS1, LS3, LS6 ect.... and yes its much easier to do that swap.
Old 08-27-12, 09:26 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
A friend of my father n law put a chevy small block into an sc with no problems. I was just thinking it would be easier to do a Lexus engine.
The comment abou it being easier to do an LS engine....I thought the ISF engine was the LS engine???

My goal is not to make insane power. I want something around 400 hp with 300 lbs of torque. I don't want a boosted 2JZ that breaks down every 6 months like many others I hear about. I don't want a race car tranny. I want a completely reliable Lexus with decent power.

It would also be cool to be the first one to try this......and yes, I did think about all the ways to make money off the project in the future.

Hey, I was just exercizing some brain cells.
If you are speaking of a 2jzgte or 1jzgte they are solid motors and reliable. Had mine for yrs swapped and it works great. For a 400hp set up thats pretty easy and not really all that costly compared to the swap you are talking about. I love my 1jz and think its an excellent platform. 2jzgte would be more fun but either one I would be happy having.
Old 08-28-12, 05:18 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

reg , for what youre looking the accomplish powerwise and reliability wise , doing a v8 swap of any sorts is cost prohibitive . isf swap into a sc body would have a insane amount of wiring costs alone to get all the computers in there to talk to each other not to mention the extensive fab work to make it fit .

getting 400 rwhp and 400 rwtrq is a piece of cake on a 2jz na-t setup if built right . the statement that jz setups keep breaking down every 6 motnhs has some truth to it but not entirely correct ,,it comes down to the approach and quality of the build itself and if you drive it each and every minute like a raped ape. afterall , my car has been boosted for 5yrs and still on original 126k motor with perfect compression and no hiccups..

you're a show guy first and foremost so i would suggest having someone who understands what a jz motor needs put together a killer setup with toal reliability in mind set you up and make it 100% show quality ...

check these 2 pics out and hes at 715rwhp , full tilt all the time , no boost controller

and a quick shot of the bay

there are certain things can be done for you to make your setup very unique to you and put your setup over the top while giving you the daily driveable performance you desire
Old 08-28-12, 06:36 AM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Probably cost about 10K for the motor.
Originally Posted by CalitriSC
A bare isf block is $20k alone lol.
Wow.......still at $20K a IS-F block is cheap.
A AMG C63 block retails for $58 K crated/new from dealer.