Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

some advice please? one of my turbos has an issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 09:39 AM
dutchs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some advice please? one of my turbos has an issue

some advice please? one of my turbos has an issue

i had my friends shop fix some rear end damage from a collision, they fixed it and also did the timing belt and water pump (just hit 112ks)

then i noticed totally sluggish performance when i got it back, i noticed my blow off value didnt make any sound, i checked it out and it was secured correctly so no boost leak, i couldnt even hear a boost leak, (ive had one before) im not suppper good with this stuff so bare/bear? (ill have to google that later) with me

so now i took it to my friend who own a shop that tunes skylines for the most part but works on a lot of imports, we noticed there wasnt a lot of air coming through and it was venting into the shaft of the supposedly seized turbo,

so... what do i do, what could it be, go single turbo, or replace with stock turbos, or do you think the issue may have come from the mechanic that looked at the car?

thanks guys your knowledge is invaluable and thanks in advance !
Old 08-27-12, 09:52 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume by the post that you have a 1JZ stock twin setup

it sounds like one of your turbos has gone boom. Happens when the ceramic fins on the 1J turbos disintegrate. Even if only one turbo is blown, it won't make boost period. all the pressure from the remaining turbo gets blown straight into the bad turbo because that bad turbo can't make pressure of it's own. IDK if the mechanic can be blamed for it, as the turbos are known to blow eventually. Probably best time to go for a single upgrade if you have the extra money, but if not you can pick up a used pair of twins for $150-250 bucks.
Old 08-27-12, 11:20 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah, if its really the turbo, you can gamble on another used set of twins or go for a single turbo.
the twins will keep on breaking, so it should be clear which route will last you longer, and which one will eventually result in the same thing happening to your car again.