Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

S2000 AP1 6-speed conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 07:49 PM
UZinator
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 AP1 6-speed conversion?

Has anyone ever considered a S2000 AP1 6-speed conversion?

I did a lot of research on the best manual transmission for a project car and the AP1 kept coming up over and over again. So I spoke with a friend that had owned an S2000 and asked him what he thought of the trans. He said it was the best shifting transmission that he had ever owned.

So I picked one up and the idea is to cut the bell housing flange off and re-weld a new flange to make it a direct bolt-on piece. S2000 guys are putting a lot of power though them and I haven't heard a lot of stories of transmission explosions. The stock S2000 hp was 240 and it is very close to the SC hp. So in theory -it should handle the power unless I step up into the 1000 hp range. But that would be an entirely different story.

MP
Old 08-22-12, 08:16 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honda in general makes some of the nicest shifting 6-speeds available.

However.

The drivetrains are made of glass and shatter with bigger torque. Both the trans and the diff's on those cars are a weakness.
Old 08-22-12, 08:48 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

I dont think it will be as easy as cutting and welding the bell housing. You will need lots of measurements and custom stuff.
Old 08-22-12, 10:50 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Hy!

The Transmission is nearly the same as in the Lexus IS200 (yes 200, 1G-FE Engine 2L 6 cylinder) the type is the J160. The S2000 and the Nissan S15 have nearly the same, little different gear-setting and different clutch axle. The GT86 have the next generation, the J161. I had the J160 in my IS200 Turbo, shifts very very fine, in some tests in europe was this the best 6-gear transmission on the market.
Old 08-23-12, 05:06 PM
UZinator
Rookie

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Honda in general makes some of the nicest shifting 6-speeds available.

However.

The drivetrains are made of glass and shatter with bigger torque. Both the trans and the diff's on those cars are a weakness.
From my readings -they are like glass when shifted poorly by street racer types and also when doing 1-2 shifts above 9k RPM. I don't think I will be doing any 1-2 shifts above 9k even if I can make the motor turn 9k. I would rather shift a little more reasonably.

I believe since most S2000 turbo cars are putting the power to the ground through the stock transmissions -it should handle a moderately built N/A 1UZ. I just want a moderately fast manual shift SC with good fuel economy and a little quicker than your average honda -while at the same time having luxury that a Fart Can Civic could never even fathom.

Originally Posted by Boergy
Hy!

The Transmission is nearly the same as in the Lexus IS200 (yes 200, 1G-FE Engine 2L 6 cylinder) the type is the J160. The S2000 and the Nissan S15 have nearly the same, little different gear-setting and different clutch axle. The GT86 have the next generation, the J161. I had the J160 in my IS200 Turbo, shifts very very fine, in some tests in europe was this the best 6-gear transmission on the market.
I had a look at that one and the starter is all wrong for a 1UZ transplant. It would require too much work to do. The AP1 is EXTREMELY close! I will post some photos to show how close.

Last edited by UZinator; 08-23-12 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 05:09 PM
UZinator
Rookie

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
I dont think it will be as easy as cutting and welding the bell housing. You will need lots of measurements and custom stuff.
I've done it before a couple of times. So it doen't scare me:

http://www.xtremethings.com/F40_Tran...Transplant.htm

Here are a couple of photos of the AP1 butted up to a 1UZ bellhousing:

Note in this one how the bellhousing flanges are the same exact diameter:

And to put even more icing on the cake -it looks like two of the bolt holes may already line up perfectly. That is just bonus!

Below is a photo of the F40 that I mated to a KL motor to show that when done well -you can't even tell where one begins and the other ends:

P.S. This photo was after a little clean up but before the final touches and polishing.

Last edited by UZinator; 08-23-12 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-24-12, 03:23 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow nice fab work
Old 08-24-12, 07:59 AM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

The Ap1 trannys get weaker with age. It's hard to find one with low miles.

Last edited by 1KhpWrx; 08-24-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-24-12, 08:51 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it's a manual trans with a fill hole. why would you need a dipstick?

^^ nice ninja edit there

Last edited by cartmill; 08-26-12 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-24-12, 02:38 PM
UZinator
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1KhpWrx
The Ap1 trannys get weaker with age. It's hard to find one with low miles.
I was going to ask about the dipstick thing myself before you edited your post. I have had a lot of manual shift cars and I don't think I have even ever seen a manual shift with a dip stick. So you had a AP1 S2000 with a dipstick on a manual transmission?

Well anyway -as you can see from the red paint on the tranny -it is from a low mile roll over. It has only 94k miles. It should be good for a few more. I seriously doubt it will be too weak to handle power from a conservatively built 1UZ. And if I do step up the power at some point -I guess I will be the one to say how much power it will handle before it grenades.

Last edited by UZinator; 08-24-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-25-12, 12:31 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by UZinator
I was going to ask about the dipstick thing myself before you edited your post. I have had a lot of manual shift cars and I don't think I have even ever seen a manual shift with a dip stick. So you had a AP1 S2000 with a dipstick on a manual transmission?

Well anyway -as you can see from the red paint on the tranny -it is from a low mile roll over. It has only 94k miles. It should be good for a few more. I seriously doubt it will be too weak to handle power from a conservatively built 1UZ. And if I do step up the power at some point -I guess I will be the one to say how much power it will handle before it grenades.
Exactly, someones gotta be guinea pig! Although, AP1/2 trans go for 8-900 so it would def be a pricey grenade.. Maybe take it easy on the 1-2 shifts or upgrade to double syncro in 2nd and 3rd, stronger fork etc..?
Old 08-25-12, 05:06 AM
UZinator
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Exactly, someones gotta be guinea pig! Although, AP1/2 trans go for 8-900 so it would def be a pricey grenade.. Maybe take it easy on the 1-2 shifts or upgrade to double syncro in 2nd and 3rd, stronger fork etc..?
Nope! I picked it up for $400 and I am cheap when I experiment and so I plan to leave it as is -and if it blows -well -back to the drawing board and maybe even with a different tranny.
Old 08-26-12, 07:46 AM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was doing my 6speed swap I considered 3 different trans. T56, 350z and S2000
T56 was my first choice but it was pricey
S2000 was cheap but I was told it was weak
350z cheap, low miles (40K), and its suppose to handle moderate power.

If you already have the trans just go for it. We need more manual SC400's

Check out my thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...from-350z.html
Old 08-27-12, 12:06 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned both the ap1 and ap2 S2000s so I'm pretty experienced with their quirks. The ap1 do tend to have issues with 1-2 grinds, and this doesn't just occur with high rpm shifts. Sometimes, it will happen when shifting too quickly or when the gearbox gets too hot. On the ap2 trannys, I noticed they took care of the 1-2 grind, but I had intermittent issues with a grind in 4-5th. The type of mtf you use makes a big difference here as I tried a few types to smooth out the shifting and to reduce the grinding. I found that the GM Syncromesh Friction Modified worked THE best hands down. And it's a good idea to overfill it by tilting the car towards the passenger side when jacking it up and adding the fluid. I did this by just jacking the car up from the drivers side. There were no ill side effects of the overfill and it greatly reduced the grinding that would occur with quick shifts. Not to mention it made the car shift like butter, got rid of all notchiness.
Old 08-27-12, 02:50 PM
UZinator
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
I've owned both the ap1 and ap2 S2000s so I'm pretty experienced with their quirks. The ap1 do tend to have issues with 1-2 grinds, and this doesn't just occur with high rpm shifts. Sometimes, it will happen when shifting too quickly or when the gearbox gets too hot. On the ap2 trannys, I noticed they took care of the 1-2 grind, but I had intermittent issues with a grind in 4-5th. The type of mtf you use makes a big difference here as I tried a few types to smooth out the shifting and to reduce the grinding. I found that the GM Syncromesh Friction Modified worked THE best hands down. And it's a good idea to overfill it by tilting the car towards the passenger side when jacking it up and adding the fluid. I did this by just jacking the car up from the drivers side. There were no ill side effects of the overfill and it greatly reduced the grinding that would occur with quick shifts. Not to mention it made the car shift like butter, got rid of all notchiness.
Thank you much for the input. That is the kind of info I wanted to hear. You wouldn't happen to know the approximate HP limit on the AP1 would you? I suppose I could spend a couple of days on the Honda forums -but my days are already filled to the max.

MP

Quick Reply: S2000 AP1 6-speed conversion?