Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1UZFE with manual swap, Vvti or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 02:39 AM
atamoukian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1UZFE with manual swap, Vvti or not

Hey guys, im sure this has been talked about before but i might as well try and ask so please no hating, bashing, or flaming. I have tried searching many different ways and cant really find anything useful. Before i go on to what i am really looking for, i will tell you this; i will be making this into a track car. (NASA/time attack/hpde) My plan is to swap a r154 into a sc400 but im just not sure on if i should go vvti or not. my future plans are to get anywhere from 350-400 rwhp n/a, i will be building the motor, possibly going with a lextreme 2uz swap with 1uz heads as ive seen plenty of times before from other peoples builds on other forums.

So what i am trying to ask is should i go vvti or not, ive heard of issues being had trying to make that kind of power and people just "turn off" vvti because it becomes useless, but from my own theory why would you not want vvti, since it is technically like vtech you can gain much more power and torque if properly tuned. is there something im missing, is there a reason why people are not running vvti when going for crazy horsepower?

im sorry for any improper grammar/punctuation but it is 2:30am. thanks guys.

EDIT:also i will be adding cams to this build, i forgot about it when writing.

Last edited by atamoukian; 08-16-12 at 11:19 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 08-16-12, 03:14 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual conversion is much more difficult on vvti because of obd2 cel.
Since you wNt to do so much, why not just get a cheaper 1uz thats not vvt?
Charley
Old 08-16-12, 04:42 AM
atamoukian
Driver School Candidate

do you know what that cel is? i can do wiring, i might be able to figure a way around it. or i have some friends that can help me out with it. any other reasons why i shouldnt go vvti?
Old 08-16-12, 09:40 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the general consencus is that the vvt-i 1uz has a lot of eletronics since its the newer engine, which makes it harder to tune. Not to mention weaker internals than the non-vvti.
But if you're building it ground up with stronger internals it seems like you have the know-how to get around most of the problems that keep everyone else from going this route.

Most of the other answers you're gonna get will say "why not just go 1 or 2J cuz theres a ton more aftermarket support for it, for easier and cheaper".
You can ask member spdrcr771 about his forte into modding the vvt-i 1uz, from the sounds of it he's regretting going that route because the amount of money he's spend on the barely 300whp hes been able to squeeze out of it, he could have had a 4-500whp 2J by now.
Old 08-16-12, 10:11 PM
atamoukian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I think the general consencus is that the vvt-i 1uz has a lot of eletronics since its the newer engine, which makes it harder to tune. Not to mention weaker internals than the non-vvti.
But if you're building it ground up with stronger internals it seems like you have the know-how to get around most of the problems that keep everyone else from going this route.

Most of the other answers you're gonna get will say "why not just go 1 or 2J cuz theres a ton more aftermarket support for it, for easier and cheaper".
You can ask member spdrcr771 about his forte into modding the vvt-i 1uz, from the sounds of it he's regretting going that route because the amount of money he's spend on the barely 300whp hes been able to squeeze out of it, he could have had a 4-500whp 2J by now.
Thank you for the input. I knew I read something about this somewhere before. For some reason I'm seeing all the U.S. guys can't make power with the 1uz but the auzzies and kiwis can. I'm thankful for any help and constructive criticism I can get. I'm no genius but i do know a lot about the aftermarket industry and racing industry. I have some of the know how and some help from local guys in Orange county. But Ofcourse it is always better to ask before you proceed because someone out there might see this and might have done almost the same thing I'm planning on doing. I deffinitely understand a 1j or 2j can make a ton of power but its more of no one races a sc and the people that do drift mostly go for a 1j or 2j. At first people will see it and say he's crazy for tracking an sc300 then when they see/hear a v8 they will think I'm nuts Hahaha. Kind of the shock factor.
Old 08-18-12, 12:14 AM
asianrob
Driver

I'd say stick with the vvti motor. The main thing I been looking for are cams for the vvti motor. I don't know if they are the same or not. And also fuel management. I read some where there were a couple of people having problems with the ems2? But it was vague.